Hey,

I know that Gibsons are overpriced, but, I'm looking at a Gibson Les Paul Classic. Is that a decent guitar in terms of sound / quality?

Forget about the price tag, is the guitar any good?
yes
My Rig:

Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Es-335 Deluxe
Line 6 Flextone 3 XL
Norman B-50
1980 Fender Acoustic

Um, gibson are only the highest quality American made guitars on the market, but yeah, it should be ok.
Oh, yeah, and the Les Paul is classic.

In other words, it's an AWESOME guitar.
Gibsons, while incredibly expensive and overpriced, are some of the best guitars out there and yes the classic is a good one
Quote by gwitersnamps
Um, gibson are only the highest quality American made guitars on the market, but yeah, it should be ok.
Oh, yeah, and the Les Paul is classic.

In other words, it's an AWESOME guitar.

just because they're american made doesn't mean they have to be of better quality than any other instrument and really there are some other brands that in my opinion are built to the same quality

but yeah most Gibsons are nice but play it before you buy it
Quote by brandonian
you nose started bleeding, so the first thing you do is post it on UG? i don't understand the reasoning behind that one my friend

Quote by unplugtheradio
screw grammar i practice economic typing.
a $2000 medium sized Gucci handbag that only costs $50 to produce is overpriced. The cost of the gibson is surely appropriate for the guitar. Ibanez makes a $2000 guitar that leaves much to be desired in the cosmetics and eletronics department, now no one cosiders it overpriced.

Company names can certainly have premium price tags.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Checl for used ones. Pre 99 Gibsons are great and don't costs as much.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Some Gibsons are better than others. The custom Shop ones are amazing.
Gibson LesPaul Standard 1958 Custom Shop
Fender Stratocaster 70s Reissue
Charvel-Jackson Vintage Acoustic
Vox ac30
Yes, it has great sound, and the quality is unbeatable. Pure American ingenuity.
A good Gibson is great, but the quality control is inconsistant, be sure to try the guitar (the same exact one you try) before you buy it.
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
Quote by Neon Knight
A good Gibson is great, but the quality control is inconsistant, be sure to try the guitar (the same exact one you try) before you buy it.

+1
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
If you can find one that actually lives up to the Gibson name, then it may be worth it. However, the Classic's I've tried have been pretty pathetic.

I have only found one Gibson that I liked and thought was worth buying. That was the Gibson Faded Mahogany Les Paul. It was a nice guitar, and while $800 something, I thought it was priced pretty fairly. It had better tone and feel than the Classics and Standards I tried the same day, through the same amp, with the same settings.

Basically, if you can find a good one that you like, go for it. BE SURE TO PLAY IT FIRST. Don't just order it online - play it (and as many other LP Classics as possible) and be sure it's the guitar for you.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Ja, it's a nice guitar, but 'tis heavy. You might find that the SG is a little better. You can access all the notes easy, and it is lighter than the Les Paul. But both guitars function fine.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Quote by Gabel
Checl for used ones. Pre 99 Gibsons are great and don't costs as much.

Tru dat... if you go used, you will save a good chunk of money. Gabe I love your Gibson. It is beat but I love that thing.
To get the superb quality Gibson was built on you'd have to go back no later than 1980. After they shut down the Kalamazoo plant things dipped slightly. I hear quality control is hit or miss these days but I'm telling you that you would not be disappointed. Just try to buy your new ax at a shop you can sit down and play her at. Don't play the display model you can't buy but the actual guitar your gonna take home.
Quote by rocknrollgod
i wouldnt call gibsons overpriced. but expensive yes. worth every penny. absolutly

lol you would know...

"Guitars
gibson LP Classic
gibson LP Standard Faded
gibson LP Supreme
gibson Custom shop SG
gibson SG Classic
epiphone G-310 SG"