What other scales work besides the Gmaj scale with these chords? Gmaj. Amin, Bmin, Cmaj, Dmaj, Emin, Fmdim.

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Thanks.
Well... nothing. Since you named all the 7 chords possible in G major (ionian), you really... have... nowhere left to go.

And that "Fmdim" is wrong. F is sharp in G, so it's...

Gmaj
Am
Bm
Cmaj
Dmaj
Em
F#dim

No such thing as "minor diminished" in naming chords... just "dim" will do.
Looking for my India/Django.
EM penatonic definatley.
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
Well any scale theoretically works, its just the sound you want out of it. If you want to put an F maj scale played over it most people will tell you it sounds like **** but if its music to you then it works. But I think you are asking the more traditional music theory definition. Well as you said G Major will work as will its relative minor, E minor. You can also try the pentatonic versions of these for a different sound or even if you are shooting for a 12-bar blues thing, try the blues version of these scales. I'm sure someone more experienced could offer you other scales I am not familair with and even modes as well.
^Well, yeah.... I guess if you want to play modally then that would work.

But since he's implying the key is G you wouldn't play Em pent. You might play the shape, but you wouldn't play the actually scale Em pent.
I'm basically using those chords in a song and and wanted to use a scale over the gmaj scale chords...because i didnt exactly like the gmaj scale and thought there might be others that work well. What exactly are these pent scales...?
Well... the key is G, and it'sw specifically G. There's no room to budge and really no room for interpretation.

You can "spice it up" by learning all the modes and how to TRULY play modally. But since your song appparently has 7 different chords, it'd be hard for someone of your theoretical level (judging from the question itself that you're asking) to truly play modally and switch modes for each chord.

What you're trying to find is a new "flavor." This CAN be obtained through use of the same scale... G major (G A B C D E F#) in this case. You just have to learn how to explore the same scale in different ways. Force yourself to play different licks and use different resolutions within the scale to get back to that G note.

This kind of question is asked all the time... "I'm sick of the major scale and have played it thoroughly. What are some other ones to use over such-and-such progression?" NO ONE has out-used the major scale. The fact that people are still writing with it hundreds, thousands of years after its conception speaks for itself.

[enter Cor to add interesting info on the major scale and its history ]

Keep exploring.

red
Its a five note scale. A Gmaj pent is a major scale without the 4 and the 7 interval. The minor is a minor scale without 2nd and the 6th interval. Mainly used in blues and rock. Sometimes country.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Wow, thanks. You guys are very helpful.

Is there anyway to say, use a different key that has cmaj and dmaj? Those were my two main chords* I was using. Then maybe I could use a different scale?
Cmaj and Dmaj only occur in the same (ionian-based) key in G.
Ah, okay. I'll stick to playing around with the Gmaj scale.

Is there any site or something where I can find the key's and what chords are in those keys? I only know the Gmaj scale and those chords work with it.
Can you build the major scale from any given note? If so... the chords in its key will be:

I maj
ii min
iii min
IV maj
V maj
vi min
vii dim

Always. Example... A major = A B C# D E F# G#...

Amaj
Bm
C#m
Dmaj
Emaj
F#min
G#dim

red
Quote by haywire robot
What other scales work besides the Gmaj scale with these chords? Gmaj. Amin, Bmin, Cmaj, Dmaj, Emin, Fmdim.

Thanks.

hope this helps

Gmaj - G ionian/ G lydian/ G mixolydian
Am - A dorian/ A aeolian/ A phrigian
Bm - B phrigian/ B aeolian/ B Dorian
Cmaj - C lydian/ C mixolydian/ C ionian
Dmaj - D mixolydian/ D ionian/ D lydian
Em - E aeolian/ E dorian/ E phrigian
i presme u meant F#dim - F# locrian/ any F# diminished scale

the first of each of the scale i named (G ionian, A dorian, B phrigian etc...) are in the key of G maj
If you do some chord substitution you could change up the scales a bit. For example making the V7 an altered dominant.
Check out my latest recording on my profile
Quote by haywire robot

Thanks.

Well those are the chords in G major, but then they can be extended. But you could for a for unique solo, change scales over each chord.