Which marshall is good for metal hardcore. I know a lot of them are known for their classic rock sound but i see slayer and hatebreed use them so which marshall should i get for playing stuff with heavy distortion. I'll be using emg 81 pickups for it. I'm looking into a dsl 401 but what else would be good?
JCM 800 or 900 combo with a simple overdrive like a boss sd1
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
I have jcm 2000 triple super lead and it is f***ing amazing. I play stuff like pantera metallica
jcm 2000

if you want to hear it in action, my band recorded yesterday with one

myspace.com/necrolysisrocks

there's 2 guitars in it and the 2000 is the one that sounds better [haha, you can totally tell which one it is]
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
.....If Fender DID buy out Jackson, Im quitting guitar and music. Would hate to see the same model of a jackson, the Jackocaster, sold every year with little or no change.
Any JCM will be good. 800/900's will need an OD but most likely Slayer is using 800's.
yeah, kerry king and zakk wylde both use 800's

but i know zakk uses different preamp tubes

but i'm not sure about kerry king though

oh, and i know zakk also uses the boss od-1
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
.....If Fender DID buy out Jackson, Im quitting guitar and music. Would hate to see the same model of a jackson, the Jackocaster, sold every year with little or no change.
^ Thats why I said 800's, alot of metal bands in the 80's uses them
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
isnt the plexi supposed to be good for hardcore? im sure i heard someone say that a guy playing at a local music festival was using one, it sounded very different yet bloody great!
Well here's a tip try them out first and don't limit yourself to Marshall, you may find you like another amp more.
Quote by GnRRockingaway
isnt the plexi supposed to be good for hardcore? im sure i heard someone say that a guy playing at a local music festival was using one, it sounded very different yet bloody great!

early single channel 800's are almost identical to plexi's, only with a little more balls
900 WITH A BOOSTER CAN GET c.o.b. SPUNDS, 800 FPOR SLAYER AND 2000 WITH A BOOSTER FOR NILE STUFF
well if you want a marshall for metal. go with the jcm 800. but if you want mega gain and distortion look into a peavey 6505. i think it will be better than a JCM
Quote by GnRRockingaway

Plexis are very clean, low gain amps unless you crank them or use an overdrive. But its very hard to crank a 100watt Plexi without an atenuator or a channel and master volume control.
Quote by GnRRockingaway

That was me that said that. UnderOATH, Every Time I Die (For a very short time. They've used about every Marshall tube amp there is and even Kranks... ewwww), The Jonbenet, HORSE the Band and many other hardcore bands have used Plexis. They have a really thick, ballsy tone when they're OD'd. Just throw an OD pedal in front of that baby and you can get some sweet tones. They can get pushed pretty damn far with the right OD. Contrary to popular belief, just because an amp has less than 4 gain stages, it can get pretty damn high gain. Some people believe that after the 3rd gain stage, there's no use for anymore.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
Why not broaden your range and buy an amp that's made for metal?
Sure, Marshalls will do metal, but maybe another amp will do it better for what you want.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P
Why not broaden your range and buy an amp that's made for metal?
Sure, Marshalls will do metal, but maybe another amp will do it better for what you want.

Just kinda thinking outloud here, but maybe he's wanting a little versatility here? I mean, if it weren't for the fact I play punk and just some good ol' rock, I'd go out there and buy a Peavey Triple XXX or JSX in a heartbeat. But instead, I'm going for a JCM2000 DSL50 stack or JCM900 4100 stack, depending on the JCM900 availability.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
I kinda hate OD pedals............ but I love 5 story high racks
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
peavy 5105/6505

but yeah my friend is in a hardcore band and uses a JCM2000, i personally dont like the sound but he does and it is pretty high gain, and he throws a od-1 infront of it

but a peavy 5105 or 6505 are sooo much better, marshall is more of the classical distortion but it can get hardcore..

try out the amp, i personally wouldn't get it but it's not my money

i definatly wouldn't get it if you only plan on using one channel and only having one sound throughout all your band/future band set, because then it becomes a pain, i usually like atleast 2 channels