ive had a gax70 for a little over a year and a half now and ive never had anything major go wrong with it although i once had one of the wires to my input jack snap off and i had to solder back on. lately when i played it i got a lot of feedback and the guitar was very quiet or completely cut out. i thought this could be from the headphones i was using so i decided to plug it directly to the amp and i still had a ton of feedback and no sound so i took off the cap to my input jack and pulled it out far enough so that i could see it and one of the wires was snapped off again although i think it was a different one. i dont like having to take stuff apart and fix someone elses mistake and since thats the second time its messed up im beginning to wonder how well it was made. i was planning on getting a new guitar anyways but it'll be a while before i can afford it so should i just keep messin with it until i get another one or what? i was also wondering if any one else has ever had this problem.
1st of all, do you tighten your input jack from the outside often? if so, then you're the one causing it to snap. The input jack's solder job failing and you're on a hunt for a new guitar, wow. Dont give up so easily, just resolder both, the solder is probably old and cracked up, and tighten the jack while holding the inside part, dont just screw it from the outside, it'll twist the solder job.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
im not giving up. i miss-worded the post. im not wanting to get a new guitar because of the solder joint. i just want a new one now that i know more about guitars and actually know what im doin when i shop for one. the solder joint and the new guitar arent related to eachother.
So thats then? you want a new guitar now? budget?
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
not sure what the first question is ur askin.between $500 and $1000 is the price range im looking at for a new guitar.
I mean, thats it for ur gax70, you had enough of it?

What type of music do you play, you wanna trem or not, number of frets, pickups combination?
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
i would still use the gax70. i think it would be more convient to have one guitar for drop c and tuning and other tunings around there and another for standard and half-step tuning. i play alot of modern rock like credd/alter bridge and foo fighters. i would like to have a tremelo bar and 22 or 24 frets would work. sorry, i dont know much about pickups. im gonna read up on em today sometime. i was thinking of maybe an american stratocaster.
well disadvantage with floyd rose is you cant really change tunings without resetting the whole bridge unless you get the tremol-no
For that type of music, i'd suggest you getting at least one humbucker in your combination, HSS/HSH/HH. If that strat has HSS then yeah, its aaight, but if not, then get a fat strat. Or you could look into some Schecters/LTD 400s/Ibanez RG321MH.

For trems, do you want a floyd rose system or just normal vintage? if you're eyeing the normal vintage, then just get some Gotoh locking tuners.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Whoa, hold on there horsie, 1st of all, i really think that PRS are overpriced, but if you dont think so, then its no problem. The main problem here is:

Genuine maple top with flamed maple veneer on a mahogany back plus a set wide, fat mahogany 22-fret neck produce the resonant sustain and high-end bite that made PRS famous. PRS-designed components in the SE Custom include dual bare zebra humbuckers, chrome tuners, and high-sustain wraparound stop tail or vibrato.

How would you feel about fat necks, if your fingers are long and you dont mind it, and you really like the guitar, then get it, otherwise, you're getting yourself into trouble with those probably finished and fat neck. You can get much better gear from Ibanez/ESP or if you like finished necks, Gibson.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
well disadvantage with floyd rose is you cant really change tunings without resetting the whole bridge unless you get the tremol-no

You can change the tunings with a floyd rose there are fine tuning devices on it.

For trems, do you want a floyd rose system or just normal vintage? if you're eyeing the normal vintage, then just get some Gotoh locking tuners.

Doesn't work that well, the floyd rose locks at the nut, when you use a vintage tremelo, and you do something like a dive, the strings move on the nut and will still go out of tune it's bigger than the tuners. With a floyd rose the strings wont move on the nut so it will stay in tune.
Last edited by Guitargod12345 at Aug 22, 2006,
Quote by Guitargod12345
You can change the tunings with a floyd rose there are fine tuning devices on it

Doesnt work that way, if you tune to lets say Drop D, the bridge will sink in a bit and the others will go out of tune.

Quote by Guitargod12345
Doesn't work that well, the floyd rose locks at the nut, when you use a vintage tremelo, and you do something like a dive, the strings move on the nut and will still go out of tune it's bigger than the tuners. With a floyd rose the strings wont move on the nut so it will stay in tune.

Depends, with proper stringing technique + locking tuners, you could get 98-99% return back to pitch rather than just a normal tuner. If you use normal vintage trem, it is not advicable to do a full blown dive to it, thats why floyd rose system was invented. The TS said himself he prefer a vintage over floyd rose system.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
also if your nut is smooth then it helps with easing the string in the nut and not getting it caught up and making your string go sharp or flat.
Quote by sumguy67
lately when i played it i got a lot of feedback and the guitar was very quiet or completely cut out.

one of the wires was snapped off again although i think it was a different one.

i was planning on getting a new guitar anyways but it'll be a while before i can afford it so should i just keep messin with it until i get another one or what?

i was also wondering if any one else has ever had this problem.

like said, it happens to everyone who hand tightens an input...

it has no relation to the guitar quality, just more an attribute to an inexperienced quick fix.

a jack that it often loose is one indication of a lower quality guitar. but that can be fixed by the addition of a gripping washer just under the input jack nut.

sounds like a loose wire, as uve already discovered. resolder it and ull be good to go.
hang onto this guitar until u can save for an upper intermediate level replacement.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Guitargod12345
You can change the tunings with a floyd rose there are fine tuning devices on it.

that only for when you tighten the nut, to make the note flatter. you can't do something like go from Standard to Drop A with the fine tuners.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by jj1565
like said, it happens to everyone who hand tightens an input...

it has no relation to the guitar quality, just more an attribute to an inexperienced quick fix.

a jack that it often loose is one indication of a lower quality guitar. but that can be fixed by the addition of a gripping washer just under the input jack nut.

sounds like a loose wire, as uve already discovered. resolder it and ull be good to go.
hang onto this guitar until u can save for an upper intermediate level replacement.

im planning on getting a mid to somewhat high range prs. either a $600 one or $1800 one. it depends on how much money i can make from giving lessons.
that's cool. thought ud want a working guitar in the meantime tho.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011