I've got my birthday coming up two weeks today and the first thing that went on my list was an amp. Then I got stuck my technical knowledge of guitars and amps is ver poor at best. So if anyone can point me in the direction of a guide for terms like tube amp, the different sort of pickups that will help.

I like to play mostly garage rock/art-punk, i'm not sure im you would of heard of the bands I like but Coachwhips, Pink and Brown, The Hospitals, The Gories and the one you would of heard of Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Most of these try to make as though the guitar is broken and they try get the wierdest sound out of the guitars.

The amp I have now is a Marshall and i've used it live and you can't get any good sound out of it all the noise seems to mesh together which with the bands I like its still not a sound I want. The budget may be around 400.000 GBP which is around $750.000. I wouldn't know where to start looking so sorry I cant post up what i've been looking at.

Im also looking into some pedals aswell maybe some delays or octave divider but ones they make it go lower?
Nick Zinner uses Fender amps and a Mesa Mark IV mmm get something with a good clean and accepts pedals well. But if you're gonna spend that much money, then do some more research, I didn't and I regret it alot.
Epiphone Valve Juniors do a good punk tone with an overdrive in front of it. Two of those and a high quality, but cheap stereo cab (Like an Avatar) and a good overdrive and splitter peldel should put you just under budget.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by Wayward_Son
Epiphone Valve Juniors do a good punk tone with an overdrive in front of it. Two of those and a high quality, but cheap stereo cab (Like an Avatar) and a good overdrive and splitter peldel should put you just under budget.

Won't be loud enough to gig. That is only 10 watts of tube power.
Quote by jmac72187
Won't be loud enough to gig. That is only 10 watts of tube power.

On the 6th day, God created the microphone .
EDIT: And correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that two separate 5w amps would be louder that one 10w amp.
Would you do it?

Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by Wayward_Son
On the 6th day, God created the microphone .
EDIT: And correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that two separate 5w amps would be louder that one 10w amp.

6th day seems a little early. I thought it was the 7th. But in reality, not every gig has a PA powerful enough to mic and do vocals and all that. Small bands end up playing in a lot of places like VFW's and town halls. They don't always have access to what they need.
Quote by Wayward_Son

I like that idea, how would I join them together and would I only need a microphone for gigs or all the time? Also whats a splitter pedal can't find anything on google.
Find a Used Twin Reverb, Those have the best clean ever. Lots of punk/grunge bands used them.
Quote by Varkunus
well i got an MG
Quote by Jakeman0
I like that idea, how would I join them together and would I only need a microphone for gigs or all the time? Also whats a splitter pedal can't find anything on google.

Eh... I don't know about his idea, but, back when I was all up in arms about getting a nice clean tone, my brother asked his friend and he told us to try and get a Traynor Mark 4 Guitar Amp Head. He had just gotten one and was very impressed with it. He said he got his for $500 but you can get one for $300, but you might have to wait until one comes up on eBay.
Quote by LoveBuzz87
Find a Used Twin Reverb, Those have the best clean ever. Lots of punk/grunge bands used them.

Agreed, but, I've been told that you can get a Deluxe Reverb and that they are the same amp, just lower wattage (not sure how much truth there is to that, though). Those will run you up to $800, just out of your price-range, but you might be able to get a nice used one, and have left over money for pedals.

Just a though, but don't take my word for it, ask someone who would know from experience.
Quote by Jakeman0

With a stereo cab, each amp would power on side of the cab. You would need two speaker cables. You can use any stompbox with stereo outputs, or somthing like this . You'd only need a microphone for gigs, if that. These things are loud.

Take in mind that I'm a little biased, since I have a Jr.
Would you do it?

Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by jmac72187
6th day seems a little early. I thought it was the 7th. But in reality, not every gig has a PA powerful enough to mic and do vocals and all that. Small bands end up playing in a lot of places like VFW's and town halls. They don't always have access to what they need.

thats why i bring my own 400w PA system.