Page 1 of 2
im in a band and the bassisst is a dick. First off he doesnt want to write originals cuz he believes i cant write anything bcuz i dont know anything bout" theory". He wants to play the most boring covers like trees by rush. we usually practice at his house and he has a p.a so one time me n the other guys just sat around while he put the stuff away and he started to CRY!!!!. when we had our first gig our singer was talking to the audience and he threw in a few curses. The next day our bassists mom gives us a lecture on how we shouldnt do that and how she doesnt want her son around that stuff. what should i do with him? anyone else have band members like this????????
Is he actually a good bassist? If he's worth keeping, work things through with him. But if he sucks at bass anyway, then maybe you want to find someone else...
well seeing as your probably about 15 years old, refrain from cussing just to make yourself look cooler, especially if you're playing a gig where your parents are there.. cmon dude.

Sounds like hes just a step ahead of you as a musician, and doesnt believe you can write anything good. Which may or may not be true. Prove him wrong maybe?
Boring covers like Trees by Rush , I should hit you for that, I would love it if my band covered any Rush.
Give him sort of an "initiation test". Like if he wants to stay in the band hes gotta suck your dick or something. After that you wont hear any more bs from him.
Hell man, as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter how good he is at bass, if he's a dick, turf him (even though another bass player may be hard to find). I mean, personally, when I am in a band, I always try to put fun and love of the music first, for that to happen, people have to get along.

Whether or not you know theory, who cares? As long as you can put somethings together that sounds good right? Hell, I don't know a lot of theory, or scales. Simply because I just want to play some chords and have a nice simple song to enjoy and have some fun with (then again, I am a solely acoustic player who picked it up for campfires)

Something to chew on NEway
Quote by guitarbum
im in a band and the bassisst is a dick. First off he doesnt want to write originals cuz he believes i cant write anything bcuz i dont know anything bout" theory". He wants to play the most boring covers like trees by rush. we usually practice at his house and he has a p.a so one time me n the other guys just sat around while he put the stuff away and he started to CRY!!!!. when we had our first gig our singer was talking to the audience and he threw in a few curses. The next day our bassists mom gives us a lecture on how we shouldnt do that and how she doesnt want her son around that stuff. what should i do with him? anyone else have band members like this????????

Well do you know anything about theory?
Balls.
ditch the bassist, look for another one, if you cant find one find a guitarist and have em switch to bass
it shouldnt matter, to write good songs you dont need to know much about theory.
btw, what does p.a mean?
Quote by Tab-O-rama
it shouldnt matter, to write good songs you dont need to know much about theory.
btw, what does p.a mean?

A PA system is what you put the mics (and sometimes guitars and basses) through. It usually consists of a mixing desk, 2 speakers and some monitors.
Quote by Tab-O-rama
btw, what does p.a mean?

public ass-invasion, thats why he was crying...how would you like to be gangbanged in the bunghole by your bandmates?
If you don't know theory it's nigh impossible to write good songs. Period. HE should leave the band 'cause it sounds like the rest of you suck.
Quote by spazzymagee417
i would pay more for a midget corpse than an average size corpse
Here's a permament solution to your and his problems.

Kill him. Then kill yourself. If you're worried about your bandmates, kill them before you kill yourself, too. Trust me, it'll work.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Quote by unplugtheradio
**** his mom.

and tape it.

propose it to the band as your first music video.

This is the only solution.....
͏͏͏
۩۩۩۩۩۩۩Ƒyre Ðeity۩۩۩۩۩۩۩

Quote by Here_is_no_why

"Hey Mike, did your mom have a C section when she gave birth to you? Because I wanna make sure she's tight before I bang her."
Just let him stay. He doesn't seem like much of a dick. If it gets so bad that it's really affecting the band then let him go.
brnh.bandcamp.com
Quote by Tedrick
If you don't know theory it's nigh impossible to write good songs. Period.

That is not true at all, actually.
do his mom.
listen to the dudes. this is the only solution. not really. fire him. find a new house. switch your rythim guitar to bass until you find a new one. ez. never put up with crap. EVER
your bass player sounds like he just wants to make all the decisions for the band instead of caring what you guys want to do, if he keeps acting that way ditch him man, because if it you dont then that would create more problems in the future.

P.s: you could find another bass player if you post in the newspaper it doesn't cost that much, I wish you the best of luck dude, Peace
Slip lots of anti-depressants in his food

Bob saget the home schooled faggot, eats a lot of maggot.

He likes pea soup, He got bee stung when he was in the troops.

Thats my rhyme, it didnt cost a dime.

Catch ya lata gs.
Quote by unplugtheradio
**** his mom.

and tape it.

Hahahah
dont need babies and assholes in your band. can him.
good day
I was living a lie, now I'm dying to know the truth...
dude you gotta learn thoery..u cant compose without theory...its like eating a kebab without sauce you can do it but its ****ing sucks...if hes a dick sooner or later all of the bandsmates will notice and tell him to leave..if not then maybe youe just the one with the problem..
Quote by Hotpunksk8rgirl
EWWWWW!!!!! Isn't a urethra another word for a female body part(vagina)??????? Perverted fishy.
If he is bringing down the fun, and joy of music (which is why you play right?) ditch the bitch.
Theory isn't essential to writing songs, it helps a bunch. So maybe if you didn't suck as much as him he wouldn't bitch.
Oh well, I say like the others have:
1.**** his mom.
2.Tape it.
3.Show him.
4.Kick him out of the band.
The end.
Ask the rest of the band, and tell him you're considering making him leave. Explain him why you want him to leave.

It's not worth a guy like that, even if he's a good player you should get someone who agress with you.
Quote by unplugtheradio
**** his mom.

and tape it.

holy crap, that is wicked awsome. unplugtheradio, you are frickin wicked
Quote by The Leader
You know what they found in Jeffrey Dahmers freezer?
...Ben and Jerry (ba dum bum psh)

Quote by ninemonthmedia
if there was a metal jail, Metallica would be Pantera’s bitch

RIP Kurt Cobain
RIP Dimebag Darrell
Burn in hell Nathan Gale
shoot him
Quote by The Leader
You know what they found in Jeffrey Dahmers freezer?
...Ben and Jerry (ba dum bum psh)

Quote by ninemonthmedia
if there was a metal jail, Metallica would be Pantera’s bitch

RIP Kurt Cobain
RIP Dimebag Darrell
Burn in hell Nathan Gale
Quote by Godzilla1969
That is not true at all, actually.

idiot. look at jimi hendrix.

oops. that was to the guy you quoted lol. my bad.
Member #11 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join

Quote by MuffinMan
Women: the newest form of currency.
Last edited by MusicHead32 at Aug 18, 2006,
boring covers like Rush!!!!?

im not gonna bother
Member #2 of The Improve UG Forums Movement, PM Musical Meds To Join

[20:35] <Horrid> I'm gonna go gay for you.

(23:03:22) <OptimusPrime> I hate black people

DOES NOT HATE JOSH KLINGHOFFER
If he's good enough to pull of Geddy Lee bass parts and knows a bit of music theory then maybe he should be the one asking you to leave. But talk to the rest of your band and see what they propose you do about it. Your bassist sounds like one of those kids who has been shut in by his parents, but on the whole sounds like a good guy who wants to sound good and be taken seriously as a musician.

No you don't need to know theory- SRV and Hendrix didn't- but the general population isn't Stevie Ray or Jimi. Personally, I won't let anyone audition for my badn if they don't know some basic theory.
Quote by I_Pwn
Just let him stay. He doesn't seem like much of a dick. If it gets so bad that it's really affecting the band then let him go.

Not a dick, but the exact opposite... a pussy!

but on the contrary to I_Pwn, I say get a new bass player.
Page 1 of 2