I'm hoping to get an all-tube amp for this christmas... BUT... My parents would never buy an amp for me which is £700 as one present... So I thought about a Peavey Valveking...

£330... Not bad... I discussed it with them and they said yeah it is possible for a present of that price.... BUT... Having spent all of that money for a tube amp I don't really wanna have to put pedals through it just to get a decent distortion... I've listened to sound clips where I can find them... Or shall I say can't find them... So I ventured to the Peavey site.. They have sound clips and I'm happy with the cleans but they don't really give a sound clip on high gain.

If anyone owns this amp/played it at high gain. How does it sound? And if possible, can a sound clip be recorded or if anyone knows where some can be found please help... I've googled and everything.. No such luck. Please help!!

EDIT: I want it for metal.. Just to clear it up... I play a range of it...
Last edited by Untitled001 at Aug 18, 2006,
^ No the 212...

I tried to quote and "Congratulations! You've won 1 Million dollars in Guitar Gear... Not really! We're makign changes to the site" came up

Bastards got me excited =P
me too i was looking at forum leaders. Haventplayed it but a friend said it was pretty good. He couldnt crank it but he said it sounded good
Quote by rabidguitarist
I even tried dressing up as a fly myself, and throwing myself out of the window in the hope that they will follow me. But to no avail.

Quote by daytripper75
we have a Llama forum, and still no drum forum.
^Cool.. BTW.. 40 Year Old Virgin.. Funniest movie ever.

This probbaly sounds sorta stupid but I'm even willing to have a permanent gain boost on the lead channel if its what it takes to have a decent distortion xD
ya Im also looking for clips as Im also considering to buy this amp.....small world...
40 Year old Virgin FTW
Quote by rabidguitarist
I even tried dressing up as a fly myself, and throwing myself out of the window in the hope that they will follow me. But to no avail.

Quote by daytripper75
we have a Llama forum, and still no drum forum.
Try it out before you ask for it. You may not even like it. Some people say that it can do metal and some say that it can't. It all depends on the tone that you are looking for. If it doesn't get heavy enough, get a overdrive pedal.
Quote by jmac72187
Try it out before you ask for it. You may not even like it. Some people say that it can do metal and some say that it can't. It all depends on the tone that you are looking for. If it doesn't get heavy enough, get a overdrive pedal.

Well... The only shop nearby who seels the valveking is miles away and they dont have a room for people to try out stuff (Yeah it's gay, I know).. SO at the moment I have to rely on soundclips on this amp... And I would rather not use an OD pedal cos I spent all that money on getting a tube amp... (EDIT: Technically I'm not spending on it cos its gonna be a present =P)

In the end it may come down to me having to mix the christmas and brithday presents and get a mroe expensive amp...
There's nothing wrong with putting an OD pedal in front of an amp to boost it into high gain. I could see your argument if you were getting a distortion pedal and putting it through the clean channel. But just use the amp's overdrive and boost it into high gain with an OD or booster.

I haven't tried but it should produce enough gain for metal with a boost of some kind.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Quote by SamDking
There's nothing wrong with putting an OD pedal in front of an amp to boost it into high gain. I could see your argument if you were getting a distortion pedal and putting it through the clean channel. But just use the amp's overdrive and boost it into high gain with an OD or booster.

I haven't tried but it should produce enough gain for metal with a boost of some kind.

The channel itself has a gain boost for solos so I could keep that on permanantly... I never really use a boost when doing solos anwyay so it isn't really much a loss.... Reall aminly what I'm asking in this thread is if anyone could provide some high gain sound clips as I can't find them anywhere D: (Apart from Peavey site)
If the Valveking can't do metal... Another in possible price range is the Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP 2x12.. All-Tube... Can anyone tell me hwo this one is because I have never seen it in a shop near me only on the internet....
Quote by rocknrollgod
a valveking will hold up fine

Can you back me up with some proof? :P

It's just that I'm now juggling between an Ashdown Fallen Angel and a Valveking...
Quote by Untitled001
Can you back me up with some proof? :P

It's just that I'm now juggling between an Ashdown Fallen Angel and a Valveking...

umm if i had one i would record a metal song for you but i dont own one. read the reviews on the guitar center website or musicians friend
Quote by Untitled001
If the Valveking can't do metal... Another in possible price range is the Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP 2x12.. All-Tube... Can anyone tell me hwo this one is because I have never seen it in a shop near me only on the internet....

The Ashdown Fallen Angel is a much better amp. It can do high gain very easily without an OD. The Valveking on the other hand can and cannot. It can do decent high gain with the gain boost on, but there's so much excess noise, that it's not worth it. Without the gain boost on and with an OD, it gets a pretty good sound. If you get the Valveking, your pretty much stuck getting an OD or a Noise Suppressor. The stock tubes and speakers aren't very good as well.

Edit: I own the Valveking, but I don't have a mic to record with.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
Quote by Chimaira
The Ashdown Fallen Angel is a much better amp. It can do high gain very easily without an OD. The Valveking on the other hand can and cannot. It can do decent high gain with the gain boost on, but there's so much excess noise, that it's not worth it. Without the gain boost on and with an OD, it gets a pretty good sound. If you get the Valveking, your pretty much stuck getting an OD or a Noise Suppressor. The stock tubes and speakers aren't very good as well.

Edit: I own the Valveking, but I don't have a mic to record with.

Thanks for the info! =D

I can pick up a secondhand Ashdown for £300.... But my parents wont take me to pick it up... If only I had a car D:
Steal a car.

Glad to see I helped you.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
i spent the last 3 days debating these two amps as well, and i've yet t oplay but im more into the ashdown series...little more but worth it from what i hear (850 for the 212)

i just want to play one now
no where does anyone have one
Quote by pacoasterrider
i spent the last 3 days debating these two amps as well, and i've yet t oplay but im more into the ashdown series...little more but worth it from what i hear (850 for the 212)

i just want to play one now
no where does anyone have one

I knwo hwat you mean... The closest shop with it is over 5 towns away and the cheapest website makes me pick it up... Or pay an extra £100....
peveys need noise gates they are very nosiy

just thought i let u guys know this

seems like a good deal but im thinking that if u put an OD through it ur gonna make it reall mudy

and u cant crank it at home coz its like 50watts valve unless u live in a feild by ur self.

seems like a good deal if u can get passed that or if it works in ur favor

my "2 cence" if u like

fpr give the wording and spelling *new keybored*
gear4music indianapolis // Blackstar HT-1R Metal