I wanted to start a thread that celebrates brilliant jazz musicians. The way I would like to do it is to list someone you love and say why. It can be on any instrument and in any style of jazz that you want (feel free to list more than one). I'll go first....

Miles Davis: He is my favorite trumpet player and, one of my favorite musicians of all time . Miles not only has a unique sound and style, but he also seems to make everyone else in his ensemble sound there best. he is a true genius with a spectacular career and legacy.
Member #4 of The Geddy Lee Fan Club
PM RIC4003 or timmEH to join
Wes Montgomery - The Jimi Hendrix of Jazz.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Lenny Breau. One of the best guitarists to ever live. Just completely different from anything else out there.

Les Paul. Get the Chester and Lester albums and you'll understand.

Chet Atkins. As above.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Michel Petrucciani: A true inspiration and testament to willpower and ambition. My all-time favorite jazz pianist, despite his condition. His improvisations grab me by the throat every single time.

Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington: Need I say more?
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Buddy Rich: Not just a great drummer, but a great bandleader as well.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Hank Garland.... mmmmmmmmm
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
Coltrane - The guy was a great player. Enough said.

Thelonious Monk - Good player and great composer.
Charles Mingus.
A great bassist, talented band leader, and a genius composer. He built up an impressive discography with many records worth checking out. His album The black saint and the sinner lady is the most temperamental and outrageous jazz albums i've heard, and my personaly favorite.
Originally posted by Kartman
Wes Montgomery - The Jimi Hendrix of Jazz.

dude Jimi Hendrix was the Wes Montgomery of psycadelia

anyways
Django Reinhardt-great guitarist, and he only played with two fingers, survived the holocaust because one of the higher Nazi officers was a fan of his, and an influence on practically every musician in one way or another
Les Paul - far under rocognized today, besides revolutioning the the elcetric guitar he was also an amazing musician

Coltrane - Goddamn not jsut the best jazz saxphonist, but the best saxaphonist
Charlie Christian - Brought the electric guitar to prominence in jazz and was one of the originators of bebop.

Eddie Lang - The first jazz guitarist who established the guitar as a lead solo instrument and set the precedent for everone after.

Charlie Parker - Took a unique style of music and spun it on its head. He took jazz into its modern stage with the unorthodox changes he composed with.
UG Blues Mafia
Founding Members: Forklifterer, Steve Cropper, Crzyrckgtrst28, and TNfootballfan62

Member of the Anti-Whammy-Bar-Solo Club
Last edited by Steve Cropper at Aug 20, 2006,
John Coltrane: greatest sax
John Mcglaughlin: One of the greatest fusion players ever
Al Di Meola: " "
Stanley Clarke:One of the greatest double bassists
Dave Brubek
Jan Hammer
Billy Cobham
of the ones not yet mentioned, i'd rank Art Tatum and Dizzy Gillespie the highest. cannonball adderly is also brilliant, eric dolphy, and many more i know very little about. but i love the music. a lot of saxophonists, it's an instrument that you can really twist to do whatever you want and get whatever sound you want, very important for jazz. i can't say that i honestly understand the music well enough that i can pick out a great bassist or great drummer. i mean i can tell you they're great, but when it comes to the top ten drummers there is absolutely no way i feel i can say who's better. but for soloists on other instruments, i like mccoy tyner a lot for piano, along with the mentioned Tatum. for guitar, Wes, Django, Charlie, George Benson, Les...i haven't been listening to jazz long enough to know people besides the legends.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
Last edited by sirpsycho85 at Aug 21, 2006,
Quote by Resiliance
Michel Petrucciani: A true inspiration and testament to willpower and ambition. My all-time favorite jazz pianist, despite his condition. His improvisations grab me by the throat every single time.

Totally agree!

Roy Eldridge, one of the greatest infulences on the many great influences of Jazz.

John Lewis, genius composer.
Don't be derivative. Explore...
Emmet Ray. Said to be the second best jazz guitarist ever (after Django Reinhardt).
You gotta watch the movie about him, i love it (Sweet and Lowdown by Woody Allen, starring Sean Penn as Ray)
You do know that's a fictional character?
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.