Hey,

I'm kinda new to the guitar world. I'm looking to pick up a Gibson LP Classic b/c I want to get a nice electric that i can hold onto for a while. But, how do you spot a 'good' vs 'bad' guitar. What kind of things should i be looking for?
^i played a pretty old bc rich custom shop eagle once, was one of my friend's dad's. best guitar i have ever played.

first thing you should look at is the neck imo. see if the neck pocket doesnt fit perfectly, look at fret buzz in general (although it can be fixed, some just have uneven frets). sharp fret edges are also a problem. feel the neck profile too.
do what flogrock says but also play up on like the 15 and 16 frets to see if the guitar is intoned properly cuz i bought one that wasnt and it sounds really bad
Quote by f0rs@k3n21
do what flogrock says but also play up on like the 15 and 16 frets to see if the guitar is intoned properly cuz i bought one that wasnt and it sounds really bad

you can fix that on your own...
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
You can do anything you can thing to improve any guitar, there is no such thing as a good or bad one it is just your preference.
just listen to your over and undertones on the guitar, test the harmonics, try out different woods such as alder, mahoganey, ash, make sure the neck is straight, plug the guitar in see if the pickups suit you, if its a new guitar look all over for chips or scratches, just gotta look at all these things, i think thats everything i do when i buy guitars
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
The BC richs from 80s are really good

Well if it sounds good then it's a good guitar, why not get a good amp.
Quote by Guitargod12345
You can do anything you can thing to improve any guitar, there is no such thing as a good or bad one it is just your preference.

Looks like you haven't tried a Collins...

Anyway, a well built guitar actually feels solid. When you pick up any good guitar, you can really feel how strong and solid the construction is.

Examine the quality of the hardware. Taking a crap guitar and putting good hardware on it won't make it a good guitar, but it will make a significant difference. Avoid badly aligned parts, sharp edges, loose screws and bridges etc.