can anyone reccomend me sum excercises i could do to get my finger and picking speed up thanks i need it because im trying to learn a couple of songs that are pretty fast
E|------------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4--------------------------
B|--------------------------------------------1-2-3-4------------------------------
G|----------------------------------1-2-3-4--------------------------------------------
D|-----------------------1-2-3-4----------------------------------------------------------- etc etc etc
A|------------1-2-3-4----------------------------------------------------------2-3-4-5---
E|-1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------------------2-3-4-5---------------

keep going until you cover the whole fretboard

also do some string skipping using this method
'Lovely' does NOT have guitar solos!

Monterey Stage Series Electric
Some bright orange Ashton acoustic
Line 6 Spider 2 112
Variax 300
btw, time yourself then beat that time to get a faster time with teen rockers exercise
Quote by teenrocker
E|------------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4--------------------------
B|--------------------------------------------1-2-3-4------------------------------
G|----------------------------------1-2-3-4--------------------------------------------
D|-----------------------1-2-3-4----------------------------------------------------------- etc etc etc
A|------------1-2-3-4----------------------------------------------------------2-3-4-5---
E|-1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------------------2-3-4-5---------------

keep going until you cover the whole fretboard

also do some string skipping using this method

Dude, thanks. I wold have never thought of that. that's a great economy picking warmup!
Listen to Black Sabbath
string skipping =

|----------------------------------------------------------------------------
|----------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4--------------
|-------------------------------1-2-3-4-----------------------------------
|-----------1-2-3-4---------------------1-2-3-4------------------------
|---------------------1-2-3-4----------------------------------------------
|-1-2-3-4------------------------------------------------------------------- etc. and do it back down
Just do simple scale-based excercises like these:

-20-19-17-19-17-15-17-15-14-15-14-12--------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------20-19-17-19-17-15-17-15-13-15-13-12--
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-21-19-17-19-17-16-17-16-14-16-14-12---------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------21-19-17-19-17-16-17-16-14-16-14-12
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-21-19-17-19-17-15-17-15-14-15-14-12---------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------20-19-17-19-17-15-17-15-14-15-14-12-------

Or mix it up like this

------------------------------------------5-7-8------------------
----------------------------------5-6-8-------------------------------
--------------------------5-7-8----------------------------------
------------------5-6-8---------------------------------------------
----------5-7-8--------------------------------------------------
--5-6-8----------------------------------------------------------

Sweeping excercises

--------------5-8p5--------------------5-8/10-7-------------7-10/12-8-----------
-----------6----------6---------------6-------------8--------8--------------10---------
--------7----------------7---------7------------------7---7---------------------9------
--5h8---------------------8-5h8-----------------------9-------------------------10-etc------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

String skipping

-----------------------------------------------------------3-5-7---------3-5-7------------------------------
------------------------------------------3-5-7------------------3-5-7-----------------3-5-7-------------
--------------------------3-5-7------------------3-5-7-------------------------3-5-7---------
----------3-5-7-----------------3-5-7----------------------------------------------------------3-5-7-etc---
------------------3-5-7----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--3-5-7--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lulzor
metal elitism
Last edited by Lucr3tia at Aug 19, 2006,
Check out Troy Stetinas book "Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar". Great book. Even the very first exercises make noticeable difference.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
I personally don't do exercises and I probably never will, I know they are a waste of time, especially in piano and cello, not to mention guitar.

I'd rather do other better stuff to increase my speed.

Masturbate.
Quote by Invictious
I personally don't do exercises and I probably never will, I know they are a waste of time, especially in piano and cello, not to mention guitar.

I'd rather do other better stuff to increase my speed.

Masturbate.

lol
Quote by Dave_Mc
Aw, dammit, I thought this was about the "half-naked chicks giveaway" with the pictures of guitars...

Quote by guitarphillip
what the hell you have 3 guitars and yet you dont know how to do power chords may god have mercy on your soul.
I think so. I have it and I immediately noticed my speed increase very quickly.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
What Ive done, and Ive only been playin for 2 weeks, is taken Master of the Puppets, and just did it on every string with my own twist. Like this....

0-0-0-0-0-0-12-0-0-11-0-0-10-9-8-7-0-0- (Repeat Down until 1... then do it back up. Just do this onevery string)

I dont know how affective this method is as it is my own creation and Ive only done it for 2 days. But Ive already noticed Im a bit faster already and it really helps with learning how to alternate pick if you choose to.
And remember, speed doesn't mean much if you don't play it right. Accuracy and speed= Win.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Accuracy IS speed.

Go get a metronome, and set it to 60 bpm.

Then play cromatic scales=

E|------------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4----4-3-2-1-------------------------
B|--------------------------------------------1-2-3-4--------------------------4-3-2-1-------------
G|----------------------------------1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------------4-3-2-1--------------------------------------------------------
D|-----------------------1-2-3-4----------------------------------------------------------------------4-3-2-1----------------------------------------------------2-3-4-5----
A|------------1-2-3-4----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------4-3-2-1----------------------------2-3-4-5--
E|-1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------4-3-2-1-----2-3-4-5----------------------------------

etc etc all the way up to the 15th fret.

Make sure you do four notes per click of the metronome. When your comfortable with that then go to 65bpm and when your comfortable with 65, go to 70.

Once you hit 120bpm, then go back to 60 and do string skipping.

|----------------------------------------------------------------------------
|----------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4--------------
|-------------------------------1-2-3-4-----------------------------------
|-----------1-2-3-4---------------------1-2-3-4------------------------
|---------------------1-2-3-4----------------------------------------------
|-1-2-3-4------------------------------------------------------------------- and so on, go back down the scale, then go back up etc, all the way to the 15th fret.

Then when you get to 120bpm doing that, go back to 60 bpm, and make the distance between the frets larger. Eventually youll be able to go from 5th fret to the 15th and play nicely
Or buy guitar hero and set it on the hardest setting, LOL.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard.
Squire Fender Strat.
EMG 81 & 85 Pickups (still not fitted).
Marshall AVT100 2000.
Fender Frontman.
Dunlop Cry Baby.
D'addadrio Strings User.
Dunlop Plectrum User.
Levy's Strap user.
I tap out the fingerings in my spare time. I did that a few times over the last week while on the train to work (hadn't played all week), today was a noticable improvement in a 3 string sweep arpreggio i'm working on (solo to Leper Messiah, metallica)

You can also just do patterns for exercise. My pinkie finger is a bit weak, so i did 4-3-4-1 (sixteenth notes) and 4-3-4-3-1-3 (triplets). I didnt focus on speed, but more on relaxing my fingers as I did it, can't play fast if you're tensed up (at least not for very long)