I searched for a thread on them and came up empty handed, so I thought I'd start this one. There were many on them when "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" was popular, but they seemed to have gone under the radar as of late.

I recall the majority of UGers dismissing them as annoying and overly flamboyant. They claimed Justin Hawkins was too girly and was the complete opposite of male vocalists of today.

Well folks, thank god for them. I believe them to be a breath of fresh air in an extreme, angst-ridden genre that is today's modern rock. When you push play on Permission to Land, a time portal to the late 70s/early 80s is opened. Guitar-driven, arena rockish choruses mated with fun-loving, simple lyrics. Classic rock guitarmanship with SOLOS...I thought they were long gone and replaced with the more common "breakdown." Girly voice, sure...has anyone heard of Freddie Mercury? One of the best frontmen ever. The party attitude of Van Halen, the voice of Queen...the Darkness remind everyone what true rock is supposed to be...fun and enjoyable.

But that's just me...what about you?
"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, just let them go, because man, they're gone." Jack Handy

http://aurora.dmusic.com
I love the dakness, their first album was great and the second too, but it didn't rock as hard as the first
YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE FROM THE DOOM DOOM DOOM

My Equipment:
Schecter Omen FR
Fender Frontman 25
Digitech Distortion Factory
I bought Permission to Land, and I loved it. They're just a band out there to have fun and remind us of those days of old.
Administrator of the "Guitarists born in 1991 Club" PM me or greendayguitar to join.

Feel free to add me
the first album was ace when i first got it, unti after about a week and i got bored of it....and from what ive heard of the second album it seemed crap
i think the darkness rock. It is really hard to find other people that like them though.

hey perhaps we should start a darkness fan club?
Quote by darthbuttchin
hey perhaps we should start a darkness fan club?

Interesting idea. I'd join.
"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, just let them go, because man, they're gone." Jack Handy

http://aurora.dmusic.com
u serious i loved the second album, nearly as good as the first
teh solos in the second is bloody awesome
The second album wasn't as big a hit because the bass player left, therefore delaying the time before it was realised and intrested in the band died down, but anyone who listens to the album will have a different a opinion on it. Both albums were great and I can't wait for the next one. I saw them live in Belfast and they were the best act I've ever seen. Justin is a real frontman and entertainer.

Ps. I'd join the fan club too
Thin Lizzy
Never liked them myself, and I'm glad Justin has gone to rehab as it'll keep them quiet for a bit longer.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
The Darkness are sweet stuff, good 'ol rock, bringing back great music with their fresh style & sound to set them apart from alot of other bands!
:stickpoke
Permission to Land was a great album, then they released One Ticket...

Good band, but I think their fire has burned out.
Meh, they aren't bad. My favorite song by them is Black Shuck.
Quote by tronsbasscool
This is my 5th account and I still havn't made any friends

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
the darkness are the best band out nowadays. they bring back the good old fun rock and roll attitude, i cant stand bands these days who take themselves to seriously. the darkness have the best sense of humour in rock and roll. if you doubt me just take a look a the "is it just me" music video.
why did God put a no solicitors sign on heaven?
cause bob dylan kept knockin on heavens door
Quote by Paroxysm

well Justin has been going solo for a while with British Whale so I dont know whether he is still writing for The Darkness
-----(\__/)-----
------(0--0)-----
-----=\0/=-----

FIGHT THE BAN

SAVE OUR LAMBS
Now that Justin has left, they may get back some credibility. I mean, the main reason people didn't like them was down to his "girlish vocals" and stange fashion sense. This could be a good thing for the darkness to remain a 3 piece band from now on.
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Quote by grouch593
Justin Hawkins IS The Darkness.

true. rest in peace Darkness. u will be missed
Quote by R_H_C_P
It's a known fact that 100% of people that sell their Telecasters, die.

I LOLed
Lol, scary, i just posted in the news column. but yea, justin made the darkness what it was (balls out we don't care solo filled high pitched rocking out) and without him, one of the key factors of the band is missing.

we'll see what they put out next before we make any assumptions to the bands future
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by grouch593
Justin Hawkins WAS 1/4 of The Darkness.

Fixed.

Justin was the main reason I was going off them, after being a big fan for two years. Now that he is gone they will be taken more seriously and might win new fans in people who didn't like his attitude (or his singing). They've lost a bloody good lead guitarist though.
Baaaaaaa'
Noo!!!

I applaud him for putting his health first. I wonder how the band will do. I love Justin's voice hehe.
You can see from their expressions in the videos that Justin was the only one enjoying all the flamboyancy and silliness.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Theyre cool, but I wouldnt spend money on them.
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Quote by Paroxysm

yeah, I don't see them being popular anymore.
Read my post. Not this.
I loved The Darkness, their first album was great, and I saw them live too! Still to this day, I think they they've put on one of the best live performances I've seen, just flawless.

But I sort of went off them for a while, y'know, exploring different music and so on.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P
I loved The Darkness, their first album was great, and I saw them live too! Still to this day, I think they they've put on one of the best live performances I've seen, just flawless.

I saw them at the Barrowlands, just as they were getting huge - still one of the best shows I've ever been to.

A lot of people didn't like them because of their image. These people never seemed to understand that Justin's tongue was firmly in his cheek whilst doing all of it.

I hope he gets well.
Terms and Conditions apply.
If they go as a 3-piece act, I think they'll rename and come out with some less flamboyant, but equally classic rock-influenced material. It was Justin who brought the vocals and the Aerosmith/Queen/Led Zep extravagance to it, the others were a bit more serious. And Dan is definately a better guitarist, he did most of the solos live and i imagine a lot of them in the studio too. I think they could work as a 3-piece, if they decided to, they just need to find their niche in the market
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
Quote by cagnius
I saw them at the Barrowlands, just as they were getting huge - still one of the best shows I've ever been to.

A lot of people didn't like them because of their image. These people never seemed to understand that Justin's tongue was firmly in his cheek whilst doing all of it.

I hope he gets well.

it was glastonbury 2002 where they decided as a joke to sport the glam rock image I was there at the new band tent when they were first seen and signed and it was and still is one of my favourite gigs. before that they were very serious with their music
-----(\__/)-----
------(0--0)-----
-----=\0/=-----

FIGHT THE BAN

SAVE OUR LAMBS