Do you think that somebody who's only been playing guitar for a year and has spent a great deal of that time learning modes, scales, theory etc. and practing arduously could actually be better than say, somebody who's been playing for five years but has really only learned chords and fools around with them with reckless disregard for the key, then makes riffs basically by putting together random notes that sound pretty.

Basically what I'm asking is if its possible to learn in one year what it can takes others years to even bother themselves to learn. Of course its impossible to call one guitarist better than another and all that sh!t, but I'm just wondering you opinion: Experience or Music Theory?
Your gonna want both. Theory is very important however music isn't just scales it takes experiance too feeling and soul.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
theory doesnt really affect ur playing, it affects ur respectableness (spelling? or even a word?) and ur writing to an extent. If ur wanting to get good rapidly, practice as mcuh as possible, technique builders, learn all ur chords and be able to switch through thme plawlessly, learn scales and run thrtoguh them frontward and backward, youll get good, it stil lwill take time tho. Dimebag Darrell was 16 and dominating people who had 12+ years of experience on him, he was even banned from the competitions and forced to judge them cuz he won so much, so anythings possible :p
jett12 Dude, how does music theroy not effect your playing?

I know very little mucis theroy but it seems to me then if it doenst effect it why are we all melting our heads trying to learn it and understand it?

Jus some thoughts dude, i not trying to start a fight or anthing lol

Thanks

Daryl
Quote by jett12
theory doesnt really affect ur playing, it affects ur respectableness (spelling? or even a word?) and ur writing to an extent. If ur wanting to get good rapidly, practice as mcuh as possible, technique builders, learn all ur chords and be able to switch through thme plawlessly, learn scales and run thrtoguh them frontward and backward, youll get good, it stil lwill take time tho. Dimebag Darrell was 16 and dominating people who had 12+ years of experience on him, he was even banned from the competitions and forced to judge them cuz he won so much, so anythings possible :p

You're an idiot. Of course theory affects your playing, what would be the purpose in learning it if it didn't? Nobody gives a rats' ass if you can play all kinds of shit but it doesn't help your music. Theory does affect your playing and it does help your writing, performance and improvisations. That's a fact.

Let's say we stick a bass player a drummer and two guitarists in a room. The bass and drummer lay down a simple rhythm in a key that isn't used all that often, we'll say for this instance G# major. You tell the two guitarists to improvise over it - one knows their theory inside out, the other hasn't got a clue and just makes his riffs for his band by fumbling. Who do you think is going to come out sounding better? Right.

Experience and theoratical (sp?) knowledge are both very important.
Quote by gamayshark
Do you think that somebody who's only been playing guitar for a year and has spent a great deal of that time learning modes, scales, theory etc. and practing arduously could actually be better than say, somebody who's been playing for five years but has really only learned chords and fools around with them with reckless disregard for the key, then makes riffs basically by putting together random notes that sound pretty.

Basically what I'm asking is if its possible to learn in one year what it can takes others years to even bother themselves to learn. Of course its impossible to call one guitarist better than another and all that sh!t, but I'm just wondering you opinion: Experience or Music Theory?

maybe....
experience n theory...? both are needed