Page 1 of 3
Hey everyone, im getting a new guitar soon, but im confused as hell as of which one to get. the stuff i play right now (in my band) is oldschool greenday (my alltime favorite band, and if you have something to say about them then go ahead, its YOUR opinion, and im sure nobody in greenday cares, and i know i dont care, its quite amusing to hear your favorite band anyway), treble charger (stuff like hundred million) and thats it i guess. anyway, im using a black stratocaster with white pickguard. i refuse to put any stickers on it (so i dont look like a wannabe, trying to make my own guitar like billie joes). im on a budget of like $700. also im not sure about getting a les paul, because its getting a little too un original in my opinion.. kiss uses them,sum41 has used them,greenday,AFI, U2 etc... also im not gettin an SG either, i dont like them much, thats not to say i wont get one in a few years. so help me out people, give me some ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.
what amp do you use? and old school greenday used a fat strat so yeh. id say fat strat for sure
well right now im using a 10 watt amp from a guitar you get at bestbuy, its called robson, but i dont care about the amp yet, im waiting till end of the year,start of 2007 or christmas. so for now im focusing on getting a better guitar.... fat strat eh? im not an expert on different stat kinds but dosent that just have a humbucker in it for the last pickup
yes, you can also have a humbucker in neck and humbucker in bridge. and also replace that amp if you have the money
fat strat just has a bridge humbucker and single coils for middle/neck. but yeh serious you might want a new amp
i know, and im getting a pedal with it but not till christmas or end of thisyear. also i dunno about getting another strat, because i already have one lol, i need something thats really good for songs like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycKaGjgUCoU but yeah, like i said i doubt im getting another strat, i need something else, if possible the guitar, price, and any coulour besides black
Last edited by jincasa at Aug 19, 2006,
If your worried about originality, Try a Fender cyclone: http://fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0130500363

not that meany people Use them, And there very nice guitars

Also look at Fender tornados, Again not that meany people use them,
Last edited by Spade1 at Aug 19, 2006,
^i second that. also look into a fender mustang or jaguar. the MIJ ones are in your price range and they're really cool
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
If you get Jaguar you might either have to save up more you get the Humbucker-Humbucker model, but I'd save up more and get the Origional.

Also these: http://www.myrareguitars.com/demoguitars.html

That is to say the RAmones Signature copy and the Hi-flyer are said to be great for punk, and you'd have money left over for a better amp.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
holy s@#t! thats where to get an airline guitar lmao, what about that? any good for punk, nobody but jack white uses them, but then again maby no eh
lol Lesson to the sound demos, depending on what amp you have I would think its good for punk,

also don't forget about that JR Elite (also on that site) they have sound demos for that to,
The morsite copys, The Hi-Flyers, would probally be good for punk because the ones there made after are some of the best punk guitars ever.

Quote by zekk
The morsite copys, The Hi-Flyers, would probally be good for punk because the ones there made after are some of the best punk guitars ever.

Those guitars are terrible. Johnny Ramone only played them cause "It's important to look cool. That's the reason I bout the guitar, and that's the reason I play it today. Besides, if you play them loud enough, all guitars start to sound the same." If you're gonna get one, get a reissue made out of real wood.

As for relevant things, I think this guitar is pretty cool, and it sounds cool too.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-TC90-Thinline-Guitar?sku=511338

How's that for original? And kickass?

By the way, although they always have kicked ass, Green Day were never punk.
Quote by hardrock1315
Those guitars are terrible. Johnny Ramone only played them cause "It's important to look cool. That's the reason I bout the guitar, and that's the reason I play it today. Besides, if you play them loud enough, all guitars start to sound the same." If you're gonna get one, get a reissue made out of real wood.

As for relevant things, I think this guitar is pretty cool, and it sounds cool too.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-TC90-Thinline-Guitar?sku=511338

How's that for original? And kickass?

By the way, although they always have kicked ass, Green Day were never punk.

Mind changed, I agree with this guy now. Though I never would of thought of using a thinline.

well the thinline is cool but i think im gonna get one of those eastwood guitars or a mosrite. actually i played a thinline at long and mcquade and to be honest i didnt like it much. anyway, i think i made my choice, i just need to find a good effects pedal, cause i know the amp im getting, a marshall 50 watt
What marshall? If you say MG your only hurting yourself.

Yeah NO marshall MGs I made the wrong choice and got one (sold it), try a vox valvetronix, or some Other good Amp, Anyway what kinda effects pedal?,
well my cousin has an MG which iv used at his house a few times, im getting a marshall amp nomatter what, my other cousin has one and the sound is amazing but im not sure what model it is. as of the pedal, i still dont have one, and havnt been paying much attention to it, to be honest really i dont know much about amps or pedals, just guitars
Quote by jincasa
well my cousin has an MG which iv used at his house a few times, im getting a marshall amp nomatter what, my other cousin has one and the sound is amazing but im not sure what model it is. as of the pedal, i still dont have one, and havnt been paying much attention to it, to be honest really i dont know much about amps or pedals, just guitars

Please don't be one of those "ZoMgZ!!#!!@!!! mArShAlL iZ dA pWnZorZ!!#$!!#! dOoD, iTz a mArShAlL, sO iTz gOoD!1!#@$" people. Many people on UG don't like the MG or AVT series, and they're Marshall. Don't be so narrowminded and try out some other brands. Marshall isn't the only brand that makes good amps.
if ur getting a strat you shoul;d replace the bridge pickup with the single coil version of the sd jb pickup
good for punk i say.
Quote by bajeda
congrats, you made me chuckle at your stupidity.

Seinfeld Club
nah im getting a marshall amp nomatter what, anybody know any good ones? somewhere around 400-700 range, and also i need to know some good effects pedals for punk. iv never used one, just focused more on the riffs,lyrics, solos, anything but effects, but now i wanna throw some in, so suggestions?
Dude, good mashalls don't still till ya get to the tube cabnet's asfar As i;ve seen. You're better off getting like a fender tube and an overdrive pedal.

If youre playing Green Day don't buy anything but a Stratocaster. Don't even think twice, buy a new Stratocaster.

If I were you, I wouldn't even concern myself with a NEW guitar. If you really are playing in a band you need a better amp then a 10w Best Buy amp. ANY amp would do you good.

Heres my advice ... you have $700. I wouldn't normally suggest anyone go to Guitar Center because they're nothing but crooks and 90% of the amps there shouldn't even be called an amp but I think in your case go. Tell them you have $600 and need an amp and guitar. ANYTHING will be better than your 10w Best Buy amp. I'd suggest a combo Crate amp, probably 75w. Won't be anymore than $300. And you'll have more than enough power[for now] especially compared to the 10w you have.

Then, buy a Stratocaster you can beat the hell out of. Put stickers on it, do something its not going to be something you hand down to your son. Guarantee you'll be happy. Guarantee.
^I would highly suggest a Marshall MG over a Crate solid state any day. Those Crates are just garbage. I wouldn't wish one on an enemy.

Topic creator, if you're looking at getting a Marshall MG for your amp, test it out THOROUGHLY and make sure it doesn't buzz, hum, or sound bad in any way. A lot of MG's have problems like that, but the ones that don't are quite decent for practice. Personally, I like my MG50DFX. A lot of people hate them, but I'm not one of those people. I'd recommend MG's as long as you try them thoroughly first. If you can find a good MG that's in full working condition, and like the sound, go for it.

Now, for the guitar, you said you had $700. If you go and buy a 50w Marshall MG like you plan to, that leaves you with $325 for a guitar. For punkish stuff, there are a lot of different options, as punk doesn't have a "poster guitar" like some other genres.

I'd suggest, at that price, that you look at Epi LP Jr.'s. The new '57 reissue LP Jr. is $300 over on Musician's Friend, and the older Jr.'s with P-90's usually go for ~$100 on Ebay. I DO NOT recommend the cheap-o $99 plywood Epi LP Jr.'s with the single humbucker. The other kinds are pretty decent though.

As for a pedal for punk, Green Day doesn't use any at all. I believe the *only* effect they've used is a wah pedal for Boulevard of Broken Dreams. One song out of all of their CD's. If I were you, I wouldn't focus on pedals for punk until you have a better amp. Then maybe think about some pedals if you really need them. Punk in general doesn't use many effects though.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
wow! best advice given sofar. like the MG does sound good provided you mess with it a little, turn gain up or down, volume, tone etc... like my cousins one is good, and loud as hell. also about the buzz, you just move the switch on the strat, depending on which pickup your using there will be buzz nomatter what. also, that is true i havnt seen them use any pedals in live preformances, or in any song except for private hell (on iggy pop's skull ring) and boulevard. im going to consider the les paul but yet make sure its really light,sounds good, all that. im used to the weight of a strat, and the only heavyer guitar id use would be some sort of ES model (most noteably the 335). but then again.... the Hi-flyer eastwood looks pretty tempting, then theres the jr elite lol
^dude if you go with a vox valvetronix amp...you'll be a lot happier trust me. You can get a much better punk sound and the 100 watt version is $550 and 50 watt version for $360. just upgrade your strat with new pickups(something high output) and you'll be happy for punk. trust me.
My Rig
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
by a tom delonge strat if you can find one or just buy a hh strat and put in invaders

Quote by Gabel
Simple. It's the amp. Getting EVH tone out of a Twin Reverb is as likely as Nazis supporting jews.
If you want a Marshall (Billie Joe uses Marshall's btw) get a used JCM800/900 combo off of ebay. As for a guitar, I suggest a Les Paul-style guitar. Maybe a Epiphone Les Paul studio. Stick a P-94/ and a JB in there, use the P-94 for Warning era stuff, and the JB for everything before that.
im not gettin marshall cause billie uses it, im getting it cause theyre good sounding amps. i wouldnt get the tom delonge strat, dunno why although blink is amazing, the strat HH, no, not yet, next year or something, but what are your opinions on a les paul (a light one), the eastwood Hi-flyer, and jr elite? like what have you heard about them, are they good feel,easy to play, sound, etc... all that stuff also, i like the JB pickup, i think im gonna get one for my strat and maby a black pickguard (not now ofcourse, once i get my amp, whatever guitar, and all)
Last edited by jincasa at Aug 19, 2006,
^just try out a valvetronix amp. or even a roland cube. go to a guitar store somewhere and try either out. i know you'll like it as long as your willing to dial in the tone to get what you want.
My Rig
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
If I had the money I would get the JR elite, I love the sound of the Hot single/mini-hum Combo, but I've never Played one btw, you might also wanna look at fender cyclone 2s Three single coil pickups but Theres a switch for each one so you can turn all of them on and get a full sound.....I MISS MY CYCLONE!!...i'm ok, but really it would be smart to look at some amps,

But like I said earlier at the end of the day its YOUR choice,
Last edited by Spade1 at Aug 20, 2006,
dont blame ya man..... cyclones one sick guitar.... if i ever made a grunge band id be usin a blue cyclone as a signature... but yeah, im going to try out the amps, cause you never know eh
Quote by jincasa
dont blame ya man..... cyclones one sick guitar.... if i ever made a grunge band id be usin a blue cyclone as a signature... but yeah, im going to try out the amps, cause you never know eh

Jags, stangs, and the like arn't just for grunge. They work for a ****load of styles. Im in a Grunge/OldPunk/Rock (and Nirvana/Placebo/Tool cover) band, and one of us a cyclone strictly for the old skool punk.

fender big block strat or tele, or jaguar HH would be my choice.
Quote by Hpda5121
im not a racist because racism is a crime, and crime is for black people

fender mexican fat strat (discontinued)
mesa triple recto
digitech grunge
digitech death metal
Page 1 of 3