so i know that in a few songs, you can use either the major pentatonic or minor and they both sound ok but have a different feel. so first question: what property gives a song the ability to have a major or minor pentatonic played over it? second question is about hybrid scales. i heard you can kind of use both and make a hybrid scale. i kind of do this in some shapes of the minor pentatonic because it it close to other modes: example- the dorian scale is very close to what it would be like if i added notes from the major and put them into the minor.

so im confused because if i just combined all the notes into one big hybrid scale, would it sound ok? wouldnt sound like somethings off? can i only play this way on songs that allow me to play both major and minor, or can i do it over anything?

right now i mostly just use major and minor pentatonics, sometimes neutral, dorian, aeolian, and sometime mixolydian but rarely. so i want to add a little something to my playing. since i use the pentatonic the most, ive been trying to upgrade it with other notes i can weave in and out of it...like with the aeolian and dorian.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
what property gives a song the ability to have a major or minor pentatonic played over it?
Dominant chords. That's why blues players use major and minor scales.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
i heard you can kind of use both and make a hybrid scale. i kind of do this in some shapes of the minor pentatonic because it it close to other modes: example- the dorian scale is very close to what it would be like if i added notes from the major and put them into the minor.

so im confused because if i just combined all the notes into one big hybrid scale, would it sound ok? wouldnt sound like somethings off? can i only play this way on songs that allow me to play both major and minor, or can i do it over anything?
When you make a hybrid blues scale, you don't combine major and natural minor. You combine Mixolydian and Blues. Mixolydian is 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7. Blues is 1 b3 4 b5 5 7. Combining them gives this scale: 1 2 b3 3 4 b5 5 6 b7. Doing scale sequencing or something with this will probably sound bad, but using both thirds, the b5, 9ths, and 6ths in blues playing usually sounds good. Use your ear and good taste when you're messing around with this.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
right now i mostly just use major and minor pentatonics, sometimes neutral, dorian, aeolian, and sometime mixolydian but rarely. so i want to add a little something to my playing. since i use the pentatonic the most, ive been trying to upgrade it with other notes i can weave in and out of it...like with the aeolian and dorian.
It really depends on what you're doing. You could add the b6 and 9 into a pentatonic lick to give an Aeolian feel, but you wouldn't do that over a blues. Most of my stuff is pentatonic with diatonic notes thrown in.

I need an example to answer that question better.