Hey, after alot of work, im now 10% lead, 115% rythm, and im gonna do "Im alright" by neil Zaza. Its fairly easy, the only problem is, when im on stage, im like a rock! The only thing that moves is my hands!

How can i get over this problem and move around on stage, and wear a pair of awsome sunnies and a huge grin and move to the music? And also, how come playing while your standing up is so much harder than when your sitting down?
i have no problem with it.. a few people i know has this problem... but i CAN NOT sing and play at the same time.. not even to save my life
i know that mick thompson practised playing guitar while walking on a thredmill
I have no problem with walking, but the problem is that i still look like a rock >.<''

I just cant make myself bob or anything... When i do, you can tell im not bobbing to the music, im bobbing because i cant reach the bloody frets =(
Just practicing playing whilst moving and jumping around in your bedroom and also at your band practices, and then on stage just let your inhibitions go (maybe easier said than done for some, but w/e).

My band always practice movement during practice, trying to move as much as the space will allow us, so that when we actually get on stage it just comes as 2nd nature, only we have twice the room to move around.
lol yeah practice in your room with no one looking lol thats what i did
ill try it

The problem with me moving around with the band is because we're a school band, and we use the drum room, which is so bloody small, and all the other members already move around when they practice by themselves, so its already second nature to them. I play better than them sitting down but as soon as we stand up im the worst, and since they all stand up at home, nobody does it at school and so theres no room for me anyway :P
Quote by Duranix
ill try it

The problem with me moving around with the band is because we're a school band, and we use the drum room, which is so bloody small, and all the other members already move around when they practice by themselves, so its already second nature to them. I play better than them sitting down but as soon as we stand up im the worst, and since they all stand up at home, nobody does it at school and so theres no room for me anyway :P

mate i feel your problem but yeh once you get onto stage let the adrenalin move you of course try to stay in time it helps
Mate i know when i play i have this weird action going on with my leg but i have done weird things while playing a gig like sitting down next to a chick during one of my solos (A great way to solo, play sitting down and meet chicks) done weird robot walks, pull face and crash into bean bags after a solo landing on my strat and being stacked on. This may sound weird but the audience loves it. Also during practice me and my mates move around like numnuts and pull off wierd positions, sometimes it looks cool and it helps to move while playing. Good luck.
drink 10 cups of coffee and eat 50 chocolate bars before you go on stage, and i guarantee you'll be able to bob up and down (maybe a little faster than youd like though)
Quote by Rockford_rocks
HENDRIX WAS NOT MEANT TO GO WOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLY!

LOL get the lazy bassist to poke me in the arse?

I cant, its a school band: A drummer, 3 guitarists and a guy who cant sing, and two guys who are filling in with him, who both cant sing anyway.
How do you have ROCK bands in school? Lucky...I mean like, most everybody finds their band in school but to practice??? Anyway, what I always do is pretend that is the last night I will ever play and the next day I'd be dead and there's no turning back. With that in mind, I run and jump and whatever on stage because I "know" it'll be the last time. If you are stage-fright, I reccomend drama for a little while. Maybe a few musicals. It helps you on stage like you wouldn't believe. PS make sure you are cool before going on stage. If you are hot, sweaty, hungry and tired you are going to have this problem. Show the world you aren't afraid of ANYTHING!!!!
Quote by Duranix
LOL get the lazy bassist to poke me in the arse?

I cant, its a school band: A drummer, 3 guitarists and a guy who cant sing, and two guys who are filling in with him, who both cant sing anyway.

yea, with the headstock

Since you have no bassist, get the guitarist, it's more difficult because the of the shorter neck/
Show some balls, get into the music. If you're not 110% into it you won't be able to pull of a good act as you don't look entertained yourself. If it's music you wan't you'll have to show it. Just do your thing and have fun.

Look at some of the bigger bands of these days and even classic artists such as Hendrix, they pull of a great show because they put emotion and spirit into their music which connects with the audience better. I used to be like you, but I started to grow balls (guitarwise) in my playing and even when practicing just alone I'm going along with my music.

Have fun and do your thing, there's no darkside in music.
n00bios the cornerstone of every nutricious meal
o i know people with the same problem. its simple. you just have to let your hands do the playing not your mind. you just have to know your stuff and just let it flow. that way you can consentrate on everything else like moving around. it takes some getting used to. but it also helps to stand up when you practice
Thanks guys

Im gonna get some sunnies like neil zaza: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZc0Ln9DTKQ

Then im gonna just sorta get some sort of cool yeah. (That made no sense).

The problem is that we're all partly confused. Were not really a rock band, we're more of a metal band. You cant even call us that really, our setlist has been metallica for the last year =.=

Ok! Im gonna try this whole thing Thanks guys

oh, and i cant play well unless im sweaty/boiled/angry I find that if im not, then my hands wont slide across the fretboard properly, and it makes it really hard to slide/do things.