Hey everyone.

I have done a couple of guitarprojects, most of them putting LED lights into the guitars. I have an old guitar, that I want to turn into this nasty machine :-)

What I'm looking for is a way to make my own Whammy-effect, that I can build into the guitar. It has to be very simple - just on button beside the volume and tone buttons, that I can bend the tone.

Has anyone stumbled upon this effect in all the DIY forums out there?

- Rune
hmm i'd like to see where this goes so i'm just gonna post to subscribe to the thread
Quote by masterohumans
there is something wrong with you that has nothing to do with that instrument you want to build.
I've searched the web for a few hours, and it looks like my whammy is midi-controllable. Found out that Matt Bellamy from Muse does exactly what I want. He has a kind of midi-strip that controls the Whammy.

I've attached a picture of it (it is placed above the strings... the thin strip)... so if ANYONE knows where to buy this I would be the happiest man in the world!

- Rune

PS: still would be cool to build it myself :-)
Ok, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ022eXOK2Q

It is his new guitar. It is kind of the same idea. Have a pad with a midi-wire, that you can connect to numerous of midi-controllers.

If anyone can find a link to where I can buy that XY-pad I would be glad. Can't imagine the time it would take to buy the korg Kaosspad and rip it apart :-)
The thing on Matt's guitar is a midi ribbon, you get them quite a lot on midi keyboards and other midi controllers. You can't really buy the ribbon on their own, and the controllers cost a frickin' fortune. Some kind of pot might work, but you'd have to be veyr handy with midi electronics to pull it of.

An easier hting to do would be to make a very high gain fuzz box that self oscillates. The ZVex Fuzz Factory (Matt has these installed in a few of his guitars) can oscillate (sounds like feedback) at high gains, and the pitch can be controlled by a knob. Before MB got hte whammy ribbon on his guitar, he used the fuzz factory to get pitch-shifting effects through his guitar. Again, its a bit of a complicated build, but if you think you're up to it, go for it!
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
Is that like the thing the Beach Boys use in Good Vibrations? Random question I know... :/
Quote by robmarsden01
The thing on Matt's guitar is a midi ribbon, you get them quite a lot on midi keyboards and other midi controllers. You can't really buy the ribbon on their own, and the controllers cost a frickin' fortune. Some kind of pot might work, but you'd have to be veyr handy with midi electronics to pull it of.

An easier hting to do would be to make a very high gain fuzz box that self oscillates. The ZVex Fuzz Factory (Matt has these installed in a few of his guitars) can oscillate (sounds like feedback) at high gains, and the pitch can be controlled by a knob. Before MB got hte whammy ribbon on his guitar, he used the fuzz factory to get pitch-shifting effects through his guitar. Again, its a bit of a complicated build, but if you think you're up to it, go for it!

actually you can control the amount of feedback via 3 knobs Matt generally uses one the stab which is the most useful for feedback
^Yeah, doesn't he have the rest of the controls as trimpots on a separate internal board? I know it wouldn't be toooo difficult to install it into a guitar, but to build a fuzz face with all 5 controls etc. would be a bit much for someone who hasn't done much electronics. You'd also have to route quite a bit of wood. Certainly an interesting idea, though, can't wait to see what becomes of it!
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
Quote by robmarsden01
^Yeah, doesn't he have the rest of the controls as trimpots on a separate internal board? I know it wouldn't be toooo difficult to install it into a guitar, but to build a fuzz face with all 5 controls etc. would be a bit much for someone who hasn't done much electronics. You'd also have to route quite a bit of wood. Certainly an interesting idea, though, can't wait to see what becomes of it!

dont know. but i know its a beast thats for sure.