hey, ive been trying to learn some theory as im aiming to progress to shredding with my playing, i play metal and i am currently learning the major scale and i already know the minor pentatonic, the problem is when i am playing a metal song improvisation the solo improvisation i do over the top doesnt fit as these scales seem to bright and not heavy enough or dark enough, i was wondering which modes i should learn that would benefit me in this genre because i dont think i need to learn all the modes as of yet as ive only been playing 6 months.
If you want a dark mode, try locrian.

You could also try Phrygian for a "rocky" type of sound.
Been away, am back
what do most metal bands use? as i need it to fit with the type of music im playing i tried dorian and it sounded alright, i also hear that minor is a good one for use in metal but i dont know :S
You have a Metallica avatar, so I'm going to talk about stuff like that, not super-death gore/grind kvlt metal.

Anyway, Metallica likes Aeolian and Phrygian a lot. They also like to use the b5 chord. That's why you see a progression go E5 G5 A5 Bb5. Kirk also throws in some harmonic minor stuff sometimes. The intro to "Blackened" uses harmonic minor or maybe the fifth mode of the harmonic minor.
thanks man, but is phrygian not like a spanish sounding mode, or does it just fit well with metal for some reason or am i wrong?
Metallica uses minor scales a lot if that counts. The intro to fade to black is in b minor I think.
Quote by ch715dallat
thanks man, but is phrygian not like a spanish sounding mode, or does it just fit well with metal for some reason or am i wrong?
Phrygian gives a very dark Spanish sound. Metal bands use it because it sounds dark.

The way a metal guitarist and a Spanish guitarist play the mode will be very different as well. A metal guitarist will play something like E5 E5 E5 E5 F5 E5 E5 E5, while a Spanish guitarist will play with full chords and such.
Quote by magicninja_
Ionian, Dorian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Phrygian, Locrian, and Aeolian modes are the "Church" modes. Ionian is the pure major. Aeolian is the pure minor. Lydian and mixolydian are major sounding. Dorian and phrygian are minor sounding and locrian is diminished.
Actually locrian is a Half-Diminished mode so it works over Half-Diminished chords (m7b5)
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.
[Practice Makes Perfect][Hell Yeah]
Quote by Evil_Empire24-7
Actually locrian is a Half-Diminished mode so it works over Half-Diminished chords (m7b5)
It's diminished. It works over diminished chords. There is a difference between a diminished chord and a fully diminished chord. Locrian works fine over diminished triads.