Just kidding, no cookies. Perhaps later.

Anyway, as many of you guys know I have a Fender HotRod DeVille 212 and have been very pleased with it until lately. As time goes on, I am moving more and more towards heavier music, that the DeVille can no longer handle. The cleans are fantastic, but having to use a pedal for all my overdrives/distortions just won't cut it anymore. I've decided that I need an amp that has great cleans and great distortion built in. So I'm looking at some used Mesa/Boogies.

Yesterday at Guitar Center I saw a used Mark IV 112 85 watt combo for $1400 and a used Dual Recto head for $1350. First off, are either of these good prices? Second of all, I was unable to try them due to time limitations and the fact that Guitar Center employees are assholes, and due to the fact that I'm 15 they won't help me out by hooking up any of the amps, so this will be a mostly blind buy.

Music I play is generally things like Opeth, Dream Theater, Metallica, Pantera, Lamb of God, Megadeth, Satriani, Vai, Eric Johnson, Clapton, Alice in Chains, etc, so I wan't an amp that could handle most, if not all, of those sounds.

I think the Mark IV would be better bet for me, because it's combo (eaiser to transport) and cheaper than buying a head and cab. Also, I've heard it is much more versatile, and the tone can be shaped in many different ways. The only problem is that with 85 watts pumping out of 112 speaker, I'm thinking that the cleans will overdrive very easily. On that note, how do the cleans on the Mark IV sound in the first place?

I've also heard alot of great things about the Dual Recto, heard some great clips, and seen some great bands play them live. I saw a Single Recto combo yesterday too for around the same price as the Mark IV, but I think the Mark IV would own it.

Well, if you can make some sense out of my horribly written hodgepodge of questions and facts, and help me out I would really appreciate it.

Oh, and price range. Nothing over $1500 I'm hoping. I'm on a very limited budget. I have about $600 in my wallet right now, and I'm assuming I could get roughly $400 for my DeVille (paid $700 for it) and I will just save up the rest.

Thanks guys,
Chris
Quote by charvel_man

I am buying you an e-beer HomerHitter *Buys*
Oh the cleans will not overdrive easily... LOL. Mark IV cleans are AWESOME. If you want clean to heavy and everything in between, the Mark IV is your best bet, though I'll warn you it weighs a shltload. It can handle all the sounds you want, and far far better than a Recto can IMO. It is very clear and articulate, and awesome for thrash metal and Dream Theater kind stuff while the Recto is mushy. Personally I would never trade my Mark IV for a Recto ever. Beware though, if you just try it for a bit, chances are that won't like it. You really have to tweak and get to know all the features of the amp before you can get awesome sounds (especially high gain ones)

That said, neither of those prices are exceptional. You could get 'em both for 1-200 cheaper on ebay.
Last edited by electrik at Aug 19, 2006,
Don't no **** about metal/heavy amps, but I'm guessing you'll get 400-500 bucks or so for that Deville. Whatever you do, DON'T TRADE/SELL IT TO GUITAR CENTER! They give you almost nothing. Don't get rid of the amp ASAP, take some time to get a good deal. Ebay is always a good fix.

(Btw, how's the pedophile baiting business? I saw that thread yesterday, Brilliant!)
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
...i wanted cookies...
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Don't no **** about metal/heavy amps, but I'm guessing you'll get 400-500 bucks or so for that Deville. Whatever you do, DON'T TRADE/SELL IT TO GUITAR CENTER! They give you almost nothing. Don't get rid of the amp ASAP, take some time to get a good deal. Ebay is always a good fix.

(Btw, how's the pedophile baiting business? I saw that thread yesterday, Brilliant!)

yea GC dont give you **** for amps. i brought an amp in there to trade in they were gonna give me 600 for it. i got it apprasied it was worth 10,000 according to the appraiser.
Thanks electrik for the info, and thanks to everyone else telling me not to sell to GC. That's what I was planning on doing, but I'll try something else now.

Any other advice?
Quote by charvel_man

Why don't the pedals cut it? What are you using right now?

A cheaper alternative (and possibly better on your back) is the Mesa Boogie V-twin pedal. Out of production (I'm sure you can find it used), but I did try it through that exact amp (ran it as a preamp, into the fender's poweramp). Ballsy as hell.
Quote by rocknrollgod
yea GC dont give you **** for amps. i brought an amp in there to trade in they were gonna give me 600 for it. i got it apprasied it was worth 10,000 according to the appraiser.

damn bro, you have some nice gear. What kind of amp was it that was worth 10k?

Homerhitter, I think you'll like the Mark IV a lot too. Like Electrik said, it takes some time to get used to the myriad of controls, but once you do, they become very useful at tayloring your sound. It's a very tight and articulate OD like was said, but it is different sounding than a recto. You should definitely play it first. That said, it's easily the most versatile amp I've tried in the pricerange. Great cleans all the way to metal OD. $1400 does sound pretty steep though, I would check around eBay first and see if you can't get it cheaper.

as for the V-Twin, I owned one for a while, and while it is a very nice pedal, it just wasn't enough for metal on it's own IMO. I tried some different pre tubes in it, and was able to get a usable tone, but nothing like what a Mark or Recto can dish out.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I'll post Genz-Benz on the behalf of Dave_MC. Haha.

But yeah, I would go for that. And if you get pushy sales associates, just tell them you are really indecisive and can't decide in just one sitting. Also, I suggest growing some facial hair and not shaving for a teencie bit before your trip. It always helps me to be able to try out the more expensive stuff.
^ grrr.

anyway, don't buy it without trying it. wave the cash in the salespeople's faces if you must, but don't buy it without trying it. that's all I'll say
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by HomerHitter
Any other advice?

IMO look around at more amps, you're spending a lot of money you want to make sure you get an amp you can live with for a while....

I really dislike the mark IV personally, the cleans especially. I'd take a Rivera Suprema or R series over a mark IV anyday.. I've never heard Lamb of God or Opeth but the other bands/artists you mention are achievable with a rivera, the knucklehead would be the natural choice for metal but I personally love the R series and suprema, but they're slightly more "modded marshall" based than mesa-ish. (They'll keep your Fender clean tones though which the mesa will not.)

Check out a Koch Multi-tone too, it's basically a Mark IV but sounds more natural IMO. I don't know how easily you'll get hold of one but over here they're about the same price as a Mark IV.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
^ also, agreed. there are lots more amps than mesas. After trying these other amps, you may still decide to go with mesa, and that's fine. But as lewis says, you can't make an informed decision without trying everything you can.

Oh, and the multitone is about half the price of a new mark IV here, lewis!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by power freak
IMO look around at more amps, you're spending a lot of money you want to make sure you get an amp you can live with for a while....

I really dislike the mark IV personally, the cleans especially. I'd take a Rivera Suprema or R series over a mark IV anyday.. I've never heard Lamb of God or Opeth but the other bands/artists you mention are achievable with a rivera, the knucklehead would be the natural choice for metal but I personally love the R series and suprema, but they're slightly more "modded marshall" based than mesa-ish. (They'll keep your Fender clean tones though which the mesa will not.)

Check out a Koch Multi-tone too, it's basically a Mark IV but sounds more natural IMO. I don't know how easily you'll get hold of one but over here they're about the same price as a Mark IV.

Alright, thanks, I'll look into Riveras. I've never heard of them before, but I will deffinately try one out and compare it.
Quote by charvel_man

If you are spending that much money on and amp and they won't even let you try one, tell them you are going to bring your business elsewhere. Those aren't very good sales strategies they are using there.