Ok, I expect someone has posted this before but I couldnt find anything on it. I play a fender and I know the basic technique of vibrato but I really can't do it properly. Yep, theres probably something wrong with me, but can anyone give me any tips?
Well, just fret the string but have a good grip on it, then just vibrate it, but make sure you don't go out of pitch.
buy kristofer dahls dvd speed, Tone & Theory at freelicks.net
otherwise
a vibrato is just a bending to a specific tone (let's have a wide vibrato) f.e. 2 semitones (1 full tone)

you band up, release, bend up release etc...

practice this very slowly so you always hit the specific tone
practicing this for a week should work well
than you could try to make an vibrato until there's nothing to hear...

practicing this will make a beautiful vibrato...but there are more kinds of vibratos...
but this would be too much to write...

but the only thing to do for a good vibrato is practice!!!

and if you're able to do the vibrato rather good, you can try a bending vibrato or a vibrato in another direction...

you should have a look at steve vai's vibratos...
he practiced over a year specific techniques do master them...and he has an awesome vibrato...

or yngwie malmsteen has this wide vibrato...

so far...

good luck
Hold my breath
as I wish for death
Oh please god wake me
Make your vibrato come from the wrist, similar to the action used to turn a door-knob, not your fingers.

aha. that may explain it a bit!
the most important thing (at least for me) was to make sure you come back down to the note all the way. i kind of had to force myself but it makes it sound more like a single vibrato-ey note instead of the usual bunch of bends that bad vibrato sounds like