In your oppinion whats the best guitar you could get to play punk music?
*Gibson SG
*Fender Strat
*B.C. Rich NJ Series Mocking Bird

*Ibanez PF series acoustic
*Ibanez AE 30
pawn shop specials
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
a les paul, with some invaders.
i mean a set neck, solid mahogany body, and SDs is way better then some crappy strat with a bolt on neck and single coils that youre just gonna end up slapping a bunch of stickers on....
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Invaders are bad imo... Go for a godin, Yamaha Paciefica's are very nice guitars.. Really it depends on your amp and what bands you define as punk....so what amp do you have and what bands you play be a bit more speciefic?
i got a Randall RG200DG3 and i listen to the bands in my profile.
*Gibson SG
*Fender Strat
*B.C. Rich NJ Series Mocking Bird

*Ibanez PF series acoustic
*Ibanez AE 30
you can play anything with ANY guitar you want. You can play DragonForce on a hollowbody. Just pick a guitar that you think looks cool to you and go for it.
EMO
The protagonist sees the dragon and moans about how hard it will be to get the princess to fall in love with him, he gets eaten. The princess is very happy, because he was a whiny fag anyway.

Quote by kanguuu
its old, good, but old lol
if you want a Ramones style punk sound i.e. buzzsaw type. Then go to eastwoodguitars.com . They do a reissue off Johnny Ramones Mosrite guitar. They have sound samples (albeit through expensive amps) but believe me, this guitar sounds the sheeeit!! Only due to the horrendous cost of having one posted to me here in the UK am I not getting one.

Epiphone do a Les Paul Junior which is a very basic, very punky guitar. One bridge pickup (usually a humbucker, but some shops over here still do the original p-90 style, which is better IMO) one volume, and one tone. You can get it for less than £100 or $100.

In the 70's, during the original punk heyday, a lot of British bands played SG's, which are also worth a look.

I recently played an Ibanez Jetking, which is basically a pawnshop looking guitar with great features. It has a coil tap system used via the vintage style phaser switches (think Fender Jaguar) which means that you can choose between single coil or humbucker or both for your guitar, giving almost infinite tonal possibilities. This guitar is great and the mark 1 model (which looks slightly different, and in some ways better!) is going in some places for only £150, whereas the mark 2 model is going for £200+. No difference apart from looks though.

daver869 is right though, any guitar can be used for punk music.
It all depends on what you consider punk. Are you talking true, original punk, or are you looking more to play pop-punk or one of the other many offshoots of punk?

Just post some bands that you're looking to get the sound of. I'll be of as much help as possible.

My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by ScottishAngus
pawn shop specials

why are you dissing punk rock?

i mean, sure, it doesn't take much skill, but it can sound good?

as for the best punk guitar, i'd say a gibson sg with SD's
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
.....If Fender DID buy out Jackson, Im quitting guitar and music. Would hate to see the same model of a jackson, the Jackocaster, sold every year with little or no change.
Quote by danzig-_-
a les paul, with some invaders.
i mean a set neck, solid mahogany body, and SDs is way better then some crappy strat with a bolt on neck and single coils that youre just gonna end up slapping a bunch of stickers on....

to be fair greenday is not punk and never was punk. do not associate the fender strat with only greenday
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by dimebag_love
why are you dissing punk rock?

i mean, sure, it doesn't take much skill, but it can sound good?

as for the best punk guitar, i'd say a gibson sg with SD's

I'm not dissin punk. Its punk to have an old weird pawn shop guitar.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
^yeah man you got it right. punk is about the spirit and willingness to to be different and to go against the stream of the people around you.
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
yeah, but they still need to have their tone, i mean, the bigger punk bands use a specific guitar, but yeah, i guess if you were almost broke and wanted to play punk rock, you'd use any pawn shop guitar

or if you're like fall out boy, use an epiphone sg special even when they're big and famous...
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
.....If Fender DID buy out Jackson, Im quitting guitar and music. Would hate to see the same model of a jackson, the Jackocaster, sold every year with little or no change.
tele or lp

invaiders arent that bad i use them
|_1√3 1|\| yΩ|_|® \/\/®|_D 93+ p\/\/n3d 1|\| 1\/11|\|3

I Love to Drink Bawls!

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Quote by therammsteiner
gibson SGs
cause the casualties rock em

UP DA PUNX!

/sarcasm

Depends on the punk you're gonna be playing. I mean, the same guitar that you use to play Zounds won't be too good for D.R.I.

I'd say the coolest would be a Gibson Blueshawk for lighter type punk (the Clash, Stooges, etc.) and a Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR for heavier **** (Agnostic Front, Sick of It All, D.R.I., etc.).
and LP (stock, NOT with invaders) through an overdriven plexi or an older mesa will give you that classic punk sound. You can also use SGs or pretty much anything with decent humbuckers really. Punk is about throwing out convention and doing whatever the **** you want.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Get a werid old Pawnshop or Ebay special. Fidn some funky old unknown guitar and rock it. Find your own way. Punk is about having the balls to not care what someones says or thinks, about not giving a **** and having fun.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.