Page 1 of 2
For the longest time I've tryin to get the perfect Stevie Ray Vaughan tone like the one on "Texas Flood." I've heard that he used two tubescreamers. Since one of em is expensive, let alone two, i was look at other peddles that might ive me the sound. I first came across the Dunlop Dalles Arbitar Fuzz Face, but that was too hnedrix sounding. Then I came across the Diaz Texas Squareface Fuzz, which was built for stevie by Ceaser Diaz after his fuzz faces kept dieing. The problem with this pedal is that its way out of my budget. The third pedal i came across was the Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive OD peddle. This peddle gave that classic SRV sound and at a great price. Now my quistion is: Does anyone know any peddles that will give me that SRV classic tone for under $200; and one problem is that the music store over here is about an hour away from my house so I want to know what peddles I want to try out before i go.
TS808 will probably get you there.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I've tried the TS808 and it didnt seem to give me the tone exactly
my boss sd1 kinda gets me there, however theres a slight drop on the bottom end when its on, might try some mods...
[Ibanez SZ320MH
BOSS SD-1, BOSS CE-5, BOSS CS-3, Crybaby Wah
Laney LC30

Quote by WantToLearn
i was biking with my guitar and it fell in a puddle of mud, i was like OH MAN and i whent home immediately and put it in a bucket of water
MJM Blues Devil would help you quite a bit.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
Quote by Viruk
It's the amp and the strings, not the pedal.

If thats the case which amp did he use
its PEDALS man, im sorry, but it was just killin me.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Just get a cheap pair of Tubescreamer clones, like the Behringer.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
When you try the TS808 out, turn all the dials to 12 O'Clock, thats about where he had them I believe.

And it is his pedal, and it his tone.

He also used .13 strings I believe. He had Bass Frets on the Number One (read that somewhere...)

And he also used a Fender Bassman thru a 4x10 amp cranked.

I hope that helps out a bit.
Quote by red star
"If its good enough for gay cowboys, its god enough for you."

Quote by Dyaxe666
you guys are all idiots! SRV played a schecter C1 Blackjack thrugh a metalmaster into a Krankensteing, GOD!
yeah, I think the old Fender amps he used contributed a lot to his tone. I think he used to experiment with doubling up pedals too, like using a couple TS's and wahs together, if memory serves me. His vintage strat also probably had a hand in his tone, along with the strings he used, and of course Stevie's hands. I've heard the same thing about him using bass frets on one of his guitars too.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
You will never match his tone. He said it himself:
Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. Its they way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or guitar you use.
Quote by Wayward_Son
Just get a cheap pair of Tubescreamer clones, like the Behringer.

I can't find a nice way to put this.

Stop recommending garbage. Nobody wants the cheap ass pedals you think are good. >_>
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

^Behringer, like Danelectro, makes decent stuff, but the casing is where they cut corners.

By the way, he mixed Dumble and Fender amps on the same track, that's a huge part of his sound.
He didn't use bass frets. Fender, when they disassembled his No. 1 Strat to make the custom shop signature model, dispelled that myth.
Hi, I'm Peter
You won't get nearly close to the tone with the pedal and an amp that's not similar to his.
Get a Fender Bassman, then a TS808, then you'll be pretty much set.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
The rig I currently have has got me very close to a "classic" SRV tone. I play a MIM strat with D'addario 11's (a relatively heavy guage), through a Maxon OD-9 Tubescreamer into a '65 Reissue Fender Deluxe Reverb.

More importantly though, this rig allows me to develop my own tone too - I don't think it's a good thing to buy gear that will only replicate your hero's tone. And as many people before me have said, tone has as much to do with your playing style than anything else. Even if you played Number 1 through a couple of vintage TS-808's into a Dumble Overdrive Special, you still wouldn't sound like SRV.
Guitars
"Dakota" - Fender Splatter Strat
"Jacqueline" - Maton CW80
you guys are all idiots! SRV played a schecter C1 Blackjack thrugh a metalmaster into a Krankensteing, GOD!
Quote by Dyaxe666

Sigged.
Quote by red star

Quote by Dyaxe666
I think it's far too difficult and rather pointless to try to round out a given player's sound like this. Just like the Joe Perry rig question, SRV used a HUGE variety of amps, guitar and effects, yet everything he played still sounded like SRV. Hell, he even used a telecaster for The House Is Rockin'. Fender tube amps will get you there, but even a decent mid-gain Marshall will provide the same tones. Tube Screamers are pretty much essential to thicken up the sound since you won't be using as many amps as he did. Thicker strings are essential as well...you just can't get the notes to ring like that with a set of 9 or 10 guage strings. My Hot Rod Deluxe gets me pretty close, along with my tube screamer, but if you really want to crap yourself, go down to guitar center and try out one of the Vibroverb reissues. Also, try turning the tone controls down on your guitar and tube screamer and engage your wah pedal and leave it toe down for a treble boost, that works pretty well for me.
I've played one of his starts @ hard cafe's vault in london. Yet I havent found any pictures of him playing it, its a standard black strat with a massive SRV inlay around the 12th fret. Pic;

Thought I would like to share that picture with you guys
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
Yea the MJM Blues Devil is very SRV like. Or you can buy a vintage 808 for about $400 on evilbay.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Quote by MastaBassist10
^Behringer, like Danelectro, makes decent stuff, but the casing is where they cut corners.

haha riiiiiiight.

to the threadstarter, are you sure you were using a ts808 tubescreamer? those are rare and usually go for $300, are you sure you werent using one of the new models?
Orange Rockerverb 100 + Orange PPC412
Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Fender Road Worn Player's Telecaster
Quote by StuC
I've played one of his starts @ hard cafe's vault in london. Yet I havent found any pictures of him playing it, its a standard black strat with a massive SRV inlay around the 12th fret. Pic;

Thought I would like to share that picture with you guys

Been there, done that.

No, seriously. I went to England over Christmas break last year.

See? I've got one too.
Quote by guitar_god22

Quote by RyanInChains9
^
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
Quote by xmrchainsawx

He also used .13 strings I believe

Do you think that the .13's made any difference in his tone? He could have played on .08's and you wouldnt have noticed.. After the sound goes through all he did with it (pedals and amps)
i know the Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde pedal overdrive side is a clone of the ts-9 (or is it ts808?) and then theres a disortion side so if you play hard rock/metal thats good too, its 140 check it out.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by shorter_rocker
Do you think that the .13's made any difference in his tone? He could have played on .08's and you wouldnt have noticed.. After the sound goes through all he did with it (pedals and amps)

So basically what you're saying is that in the end, through the amps and pedals, 8s and 13s will have virtually the same tone?

Wow.
Quote by guitar_god22

Quote by RyanInChains9
No string guage does make a difference, I went from 9's to 12's and the 12's give you a fuller sound when using a strat.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Quote by shorter_rocker

Everyone else has already stated it, but Ill go ahead and say it again.

WOW.

Yes, I do believe that .13's and .08's would have differed his tone. The thicker strings resonate longer, have a higher tension (why he would downtune to D#/Eb), and they would have a fuller, more (loose definition) "bassy" sound.

To say that there is NO difference in string gauges is as stupid as saying there's no difference between using a Fender thin pick and a Dunlop Stubby pick.
Quote by red star

Quote by Dyaxe666
You could try and steal srv's fingers if you want his exact tone.
Agile Al-3000 prestige, Carvin V3 half stack, Fender 75, Line 6 spider 112, roland microcube, JT serpent, JT Sg Custom, Washburn D-100, PODXTL, Monster Powerconditioner, George L's cords
ALL MY POSTS ARE *MY OPINION* GO HOME TROLLS!
he had REALLY strong fingers....

its in the heayvy guage strings, the 808 and the texas pickups...

id get the ts change the strings and get some texas special pickups (the fender ones are good and the guitar fetish ones are supposed to be really good too)
GEAR

Amps:
Vox AC30cc1
Peavey Transtube

Guitars:
Powerhouse Strat with lace sensors
D-16GT

Effects:
DD20
Classic Crybaby
Rat 2
Phase 90
TU-2
SM57
He didnt use Texas Specials, He got his pick-ups rewounded by Mr. Van Zandt, they were the original stock pups.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
^ it doesnt matter. they are made to sound like SRV
GEAR

Amps:
Vox AC30cc1