I want to get a pretty versatile bass for around 300 USD.. which should I get?
I'm new here, and hope I won't get flogged for this one.

I have a Peavey Millenium 4AC with the active pickups. It has a really broad range of sounds and was $299 at a local shop.
Quote by Daryl Licht
I'm new here, and hope I won't get flogged for this one.

I have a Peavey Millenium 4AC with the active pickups. It has a really broad range of sounds and was $299 at a local shop.
Nobody will flog you, if it's your Bass and you think it's the best in the world so be it.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Best in the world? I seriously doubt that. It is, however, more than adequate for my needs and I am pleased with it.
gd, if it satisfys wat u need, then its a good bass for u.
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
holy crap the peavey millenium 4AC is awesome... as soon as i get the 500 dollars i'm gonna make this summer i'm buyin a purple one....that's right I said PURPLE GIGIGIGIGIGI
......... GOO
bust a lick

my stuff:
Ibanez grX20
Marshall Valvestate 100 watts
Casio Keyboard
peavey millenium 5bxp
Ibanez 65w bass amp

Phantasmagoric Riffster of the Knights Who Say Ni!
Pm SGstriker to join
ESP LTD F104. Great quality bass for the price.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
I would strongly advise against anyone buying an ESP unless you're going for the high end stuff, and/or don't mind having a really bad bass. I find the build quality of ESP's low end basses... low end anythings, to be terrible.

$299 will get you a Peavey Milennium, always a safe bet. Played 'em, love 'em.

Look at Rondo Music and pick anything from there and it's probably going to be a solid, well built bass with plenty of headroom to upgrade later on if you should so choose.

the Squier Vintage Modified basses are apparently very solid instruments, a big improvement on Squiers previous reputation.

OLP MusicMan copies are apparently damn nice pieces of work, too. Only played one briefly in a store, but it felt pretty dandy and sounded like its big, four-figure-price-tag bro.

I've been hearing positive things about new Washburn basses, but having not played one, I'll leave it to someone else to sing their praise (if there is any).
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Wow. This thread is from August of last year. Nice job bumping a dead thread.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Woah. Nice job Blakef. To think I spent five minutes writing that. Damn it.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I must be lucky then Caustic, because I have an F104 that plays as well as my schecter Albeit it doesn't sound quite like it, but I think it's a solid bass for the price.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
i ended up not getting the ac but a five string instead... i didn't feel like ordering it off of the internet so i just went to my local store and picked up a tigers eye bxp..... needless to say i could feed small children with my riffs............. just kidding i suck
bust a lick

my stuff:
Ibanez grX20
Marshall Valvestate 100 watts
Casio Keyboard
peavey millenium 5bxp
Ibanez 65w bass amp

Phantasmagoric Riffster of the Knights Who Say Ni!
Pm SGstriker to join
Quote by blakef_55
just kidding i suck

...you suck and you got a 5 string
learn with a 4 and then switch to 5 when you have mastered the 4
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come