Oh ****ing hell, another pedal thread.

Yes. I did a search.

Well, I have a Vox AD15VT. Its ****ing great, but I can't get a REALLY Heavy Scooped distortion sound. I can get a great Trivium sound, but not a very good Early Metallica or Pantera sound. I also want to be able to get a great lead sound. I am getting an EQ so I will have the means to tweak it.
Any good ones that don't cost a bomb? I was looking at the Marshall Jackhammer but apparently its a bit muddy.

Thank you!
i dont think anyone can re-create a pantera sound, ring up dimes gf and ask her, or vinnie paul, that might work.
Member #15 of the 'Guitarists born in 1991 club' PM blues_rocker greendayguitar or gdm09 to join.
Quote by cockzit
I also told a girl I knew how to make bombs and I was suspended from school. I hate snitches, I swear.

LOLZNESS
It's generally a difficult thing to nail the pantera tone, dime used randall amps, plus the bill lawerence pickups also make a pretty big difference as well. For an EQ pedal, maybe check out the Boss GE-7, maybe the MXR KFK? You also might want to invest into a distortion pedal as well, check out the Boss MT-2.
pantera sound-you can use a lot of stuff for that, it's all in your EQ settings, look at the ultimate eq thread for that

metallica-i've gotten that a lot, my friend and i got a PERFECT metallica sound recording kill 'em all direct from his marshall MG [yes, a marshall MG] through his jackson [my ESP with the same settings had way more bass, but still sounded good]
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
.....If Fender DID buy out Jackson, Im quitting guitar and music. Would hate to see the same model of a jackson, the Jackocaster, sold every year with little or no change.
Well I'll probably get the MXR 6-band eq cheap from the USA.

If I use that to scoop mids, will I get a better metal sound?
most likely
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
.....If Fender DID buy out Jackson, Im quitting guitar and music. Would hate to see the same model of a jackson, the Jackocaster, sold every year with little or no change.
For the pantera sound, start with a SH-13 Dimebucker in the bridge. I dont know how far this is true, but I think initially Dimebag used to use a solid-state amp.

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
Marshall 1936 Lead 2x12 Cab
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

time is like a fuse; short and burning fast -- James Hetfield
no no no no no!!

DO NOT GET THE DIMEBUCKER

really really bad pickup

start with the bill lawrence l 500xl pickups

and dimebag used mainly 3 amps:

1) randall century 200
2) his randall warheads
3) krankenstein [with damageplan]

he used the century 200 for most of his career
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
really? Is the Dimebucker that bad? I was planning on gettin that last month, but somehow I totally forgot to. Good thing I didnt. LOL

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

yes, good thing you didn't

if you want to get a good pickup, get the bill lawrence l 500xl

but since you have a xxx tube amp [god i hate that thing] you should probably get a pair of EMG's
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
It's pretty hard to obtain K.Armstrong pikcups yow !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by dimebag_love
yes, good thing you didn't

if you want to get a good pickup, get the bill lawrence l 500xl

but since you have a xxx tube amp [god i hate that thing] you should probably get a pair of EMG's

LOL. Looks like there are only 2 people on the UG forum who actually like the XXX... me and gpderek09. That's ok. Tone is subjective and I love the tone I'm getting... for now. ok, I will get 'em EMG's. Thanks

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

yeah stay the **** away from the dimebucker its horrible, dime loved his randall warhead most, which was a solid state beast...
The Dimebucker is good enough for me to poop on.

As far as the EQ goes, put the bass up, put the treb up.. and put the mids at 0.

And, get a good distortion pedal.. preferably a Boss Distortion. Cheap and good!
My gear:

MIJ Squier Stratocaster

Washburn WR150 Quilted Top

Oscar Schmidt Semi-hollow Delta King

Epiphone Hummingbird

Amps: Fender Eighty-Five
Quote by dimebag_love
pantera sound-you can use a lot of stuff for that, it's all in your EQ settings, look at the ultimate eq thread for that

metallica-i've gotten that a lot, my friend and i got a PERFECT metallica sound recording kill 'em all direct from his marshall MG [yes, a marshall MG] through his jackson [my ESP with the same settings had way more bass, but still sounded good]

I'd love to hear a recording from an MG that got a PERFECT metallica sound.

Threadstarter: Got a budget? Maybe I can recommend some other gear besides a pedal that'll get you a good metal tone.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Well I have a Boss DS-2. I use this as a tone booster for Metallica/Trivium.

I think I may just get an MXR EQ. This way I can at least get better metal tones by shaping the sound.
Quote by the1

If I use that to scoop mids, will I get a better metal sound?

Not neccessarily, there are plenty of metal bands that don't scoop their mids, Slayer, Children Of Bodom...

And a 'scooped' tone isn't just turning down the mids, it's lowering the mids (around 0-3) And boosting the treble and bass. I find a scooped tone sounds hollow, like it's missing something (Probably the mids ) and overly bassey. The mids I always find help bring out the treble and clarity.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Last edited by GNR4EVER at Aug 20, 2006,
Quote by the1

I can get a great Trivium sound, but not a very good Early Metallica or Pantera sound.

To the thread starter i have the VOX AD30VT
I can get a great early Metallica sound out of it
For early Metallica sound i use:
Amp model - UK Modern
Gain - 10
Treble - 7
Mids - 1-2

hope this helps also check out this website
http://www.valvetronix.net/valvetronix/
Quote by GNR4EVER
Not neccessarily, there are plenty of metal bands that don't scoop their mids, Slayer, Children Of Bodom...

And a 'scooped' tone isn't just turning down the mids, it's lowering the mids (around 0-3) And boosting the treble and bass. I find a scooped tone sounds hollow, like it's missing something (Probably the mids ) and overly bassey. The mids I always find help bring out the treble and clarity.

man, i find the exactly opposite. mids just sound soo hollow to me. like laihos tone sounds like he playing inside a tin can...
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by joel_grieve
man, i find the exactly opposite. mids just sound soo hollow to me. like laihos tone sounds like he playing inside a tin can...

After doing some quick experimenting with the mids, I can see what you mean. They seem to fuck with your sound if you put them too low or too high Hollow was probably a bad word for me to use because it actually sounds more hollow when you put them up, I keep them around 4 - 5 now.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
yeah. i happy balance of mids is always needed to both allow the guitarist to sound good and cut through.

either way, even though i EQ my amp mids-0, because its a marshall it still sounds middy.

also, to quote a wiseman 'tone is in the fingers'
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Metallica used a ds-1 on kill 'em all
Quote by leavesandman
i hope your children get aids

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.

Member Number 11 of Metallica Mensa
Quote by pierce34celtic
It's generally a difficult thing to nail the pantera tone, dime used randall amps, plus the bill lawerence pickups also make a pretty big difference as well. For an EQ pedal, maybe check out the Boss GE-7, maybe the MXR KFK? You also might want to invest into a distortion pedal as well, check out the Boss MT-2.

The MT-2 will only be good if he's playing at bedroom level. That pedal is HORRIBLE when you play it loud, With A LOT of tweaking EQ and getting the right setting the pedal can sound good with my Vox AD50VT at low bedroom level volume. Anything llouder and youre on your own.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
Quote by JesseIbanez
The MT-2 will only be good if he's playing at bedroom level. That pedal is HORRIBLE when you play it loud, With A LOT of tweaking EQ and getting the right setting the pedal can sound good with my Vox AD50VT at low bedroom level volume. Anything llouder and youre on your own.

Agreed, I always used the MT-2 for at least 3 years playing alone. Always thought people here were on crack when they said it was a terrible pedal, but then I got in a band and tried using it when we were practicing... it wasn't pretty.

It's got a good crunch to it at a low to mid volume level.
^ Yeah man, at low volumes and the right EQ it can sound okay. Other than that is ****
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
A recommendation on an EQ pedal: MXR KFK 10-band. Sweet pedal, eveyone needs one, and it has flames on it. So yea.
The uber metal, when i owned it I got a very similar to pantera tone. The Dime MXR thing sounds more like old school metallica. I think you'd be best off with the Yellow Line 6 distortion thing that has 4 footswitches on it. Sorry i'm having a brainfart.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio