I am currently looking at either a marshallMG100HDFX of some kind or a crate or B-52 any suggestions?
the b 52 would be the best out of them, but not by far. stay away from the MG's and the crates. and look into some used stuff. around here u can get a used jcm800 for around 300 just for the head, then u can buy a brand new cab
Gear

Johnson strat copy
epi les paul jr
epi les paul studio
Ibanez gax 75
crate 10 watt
crate fxt 120
danelectro honeytone
marshall 8200 bichorus
behringer 400watt cab
awsome thanks but yeah cuz I think the marshall just for the head is about 400$ and that cab is about the same but I dunno
you might be able to get a used JCM900 half-stack for that much. Stay away from the MG half-stack, trust me. 900's have a nice mix of vintage and modern tones, with multiple channels, spring reverb (the dual reverb versions), lots of versatility. 900's make MG's look/sound like complete shit. Just do a "MG" search here on UG
yeah. don't get a half stack. unless you're selling out stadiums, you don't need one. look for a tube combo. i could give you recommendations if you gave me what type of music you played.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Marshall 8100 (used, they are out of production), with cab of your choice

And you'll have lots of change to spare
$800 gets you a 5150 every day of the week.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
u kno a tube 212 combo can overpower those stupid solidstate half stacks.

i suggest the b52 AT212 combo. 100 watts all tube. just 749.99.
Gear:::

Schecter C1 Classic - drop C - .11's
Ibanez rg321 (emg 81/85) - drop D - .10's
----------------------
Peavey 6505+
Peavey XXX 412 cab
Crate VTX212b Combo - practice amp.
----------------------
ibanez TS9

Quote by Jetty
u kno a tube 212 combo can overpower those stupid solidstate half stacks.

no offense but thats dumb.

You can get a 5150 combo for 500 off ebay and it be way better than that b-52 and if you look hard enough you can get the halfstack for maybe 800 i got mine for 970 with shipping
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
I agree with tubab0y (even though as much of a disgrace he is to tubadude, no offense, really ).

So, TS, what kind of music shall you be playing through this amplifier?
Are you in a band? Just about to gig? Bedroom warrior?
http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=MTS412&CID=GA

Thats the only thing that will compete with a used 5150 or 6505.

And like a few people have stated already, get a 212. That half stack will soon find a permanant place in the corner of a room really fast...esp if your travleing to a drummers house. If you get a good 212 Gflex, Marshall, B-52 (celestion v 30), carvin(cheapest and good quality) will be as good if not better than a decent more expensive 412 cab.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Last edited by MESAexplorer at Aug 19, 2006,
Quote by SuperAnalytical
So, TS, what kind of music shall you be playing through this amplifier?
I was gonna say, everyone is reccomending stuff without asking that first.
These go to eleven...
Quote by Jetty

yeah buddy, ive got one and that bitch screams! and i only paid $350 for mine
Quote by singlecoiled
Marshall 8100 (used, they are out of production), with cab of your choice

And you'll have lots of change to spare

O Rly?
Quote by AlternateEnd
I play anything really, and yeah im in a band well kinda lol we need a damn singer

im in the same boat man, got a great drumer and an awesome bassist but no singer. anyways, look into the B-52 AT series, very versitial
yeah we dont even have a bass player but I know someone that can play for us but yeah that s all im worries about, where you from?
Quote by AlternateEnd
yeah we dont even have a bass player but I know someone that can play for us but yeah that s all im worries about, where you from?

summerville south carolina. i need a singer by november cause thats when battle of the bands is and this year is the year metal will win. ive got about 3500 kids in my school and most are either black, preps, or rednecks. there are a few skaters and the 100 or so of me and my fellow metal head, but there is also a lot of them damn scene emo kids. and those are ususally the only bands that play. so this year im throwing together a metal band to wipe the floor with those emo bitches.
Quote by lp_dude_2
summerville south carolina. i need a singer by november cause thats when battle of the bands is and this year is the year metal will win. ive got about 3500 kids in my school and most are either black, preps, or rednecks. there are a few skaters and the 100 or so of me and my fellow metal head, but there is also a lot of them damn scene emo kids. and those are ususally the only bands that play. so this year im throwing together a metal band to wipe the floor with those emo bitches.

Lmfao kick dem damn bitches ass' lol, baha u got msn?
Quote by AlternateEnd
so why is the JCM800 better than the MG100HDFX?

because the JCM is all tube sweet ness. where as the MG is crappy circuts

Quote by AlternateEnd
Lmfao kick dem damn bitches ass' lol, baha u got msn?

yeah man. its like hawthorine hights ****, that gay screaming, and like 10 different guitarist cause each one only knows a different chord. ima go in there, crank the gain to ten, blast the volume, hit the wah pedal and solo their brans out!

EDIT:
oh and no i dont have MSN, i stick with myspace.
lmao thats awsome so whatkinda music is the jcm good for, lol just so just@...hotmail .com but whats b4 taht lol
oh and whats the mg good for? and well how much would the mg run for with the cab and how much would the jcm run for with the cab?
the MG is good for selling to little noobs that think its a good amp cause it says marshall when in actuallity, it sucks more balls then a gay prostituet(sp?) and you dont need a half stack man, trust me. a 2x12" combo is plenty big enough.
Quote by lp_dude_2
the MG is good for selling to little noobs that think its a good amp cause it says marshall when in actuallity, it sucks more balls then a gay prostituet(sp?) and you dont need a half stack man, trust me. a 2x12" combo is plenty big enough.

I disagree, my friend had an MG and it made an excellent table. You could also put it in front of the couch and put your feet up on it.

Like others have said, tube amps will sound better 99% of the time. A Marshall JCM900, 800, 2000, a 5150, etc... I'd stay away from most Crate's, although the Blue Voodoo is a good amp, very similar in tone to a JCM2000.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Quote by fatgraymatt
I disagree, my friend had an MG and it made an excellent table. You could also put it in front of the couch and put your feet up on it.

SIGGED!!!
Don't go with the MGs. They are **** in a box. You might be able to get a Valvestate head and cabinet with the $800, though.
Marshall 8240 Valvestate combo from 1986
Crate X15R
Dunlop Crybaby
Digitech Screamin' Blues