Hey guys i bought a capo today, i remember reading a couple of days ago a post about how to use a capo, or can someone explain, link me to that thread bc i searched and i couldnd find it. please help me or explain how to use it. thanks a lot
you clamp it on the neck of the guitar just about the fret, like you would use your finger to play a bar chord. thats about the best i can describe how to use a capo
member #2 of the hippies kickass club
You clamp it on a fret which acts as a nut: shortening the strings and essentially changing the tune of the guitar, or the key at which a songs played...

but ive got a question ill squeeze in here off topic but i dont care: im pretty new to everything with a guitar, how exactly does everyone pronounce "capo", i assumed its how it looks: "cap-o"..but i was never sure cuz if im not mistaken its short for an italian word right? just wondering
I've always pronounced it as 'cape-oh'. Like the others said, you just place it onto the neck of the guitar and essentially it raises the tuning up one semi tone for each fret, thus chaning the key of songs.
Quote by R0CKER1220

like that.

thats exact one i have but when u put it on what do u do, do i have to take it of to play other strings like do i have to take it of to play A minor or i can just keeep it in the place i want it to be at? or i have to take it of when i am not playing bar cord?
like i said, it acts as the nut, meaning if the capo was on the 2nd fret, then the 3rd fret would act as the first fret, its an easier way to change the key of the guitar without tuning it up..it doesnt get taken off during a song. (that would be a pain in the @$$). Simply pretend that the capo is the end of the neck and play accordingly. Thats the best i can do for ya.
This shows you how chords move up. The red circles represent where you would put your fingers for a D chord, and the green is the C chord.

This should help you out.

but, once you put the capo on, those chords won't be C and D anymore
lol my friend uses capo with C-tuning
Fighting for peace, is like screwing for virginity

Screw you Waldo, go find yourself!!!!
Quote by RussianR3b3l
thats exact one i have but when u put it on what do u do, do i have to take it of to play other strings like do i have to take it of to play A minor or i can just keeep it in the place i want it to be at? or i have to take it of when i am not playing bar cord?

Capos are used to change the key of a song to match the singer's voice. They arent used for barre chords. Like Duff said, think of it as the new nut.
I know it's not the same chord, but it's still a relative C, even if it's not the chord of C. It's the C position. And as I think he was having trouble with knowing where those relative chord structures go, meh, all the power to him.