Page 1 of 2
His face doesn't always seem to fit on the modern rock forum, and I was wondering what blues fans thought of him. Personally, I think the White Stripes have made some of the best blues based music there ever will be, and I do think that, it has made some younger people more aware of the blues - whether that's a good thing to you or not I don't know, I know some of you are very protective of your bubbles!

Also, does anyone listen to the Black Keys (And no, I'm not comparing these 2 bands)
I think they are the best ever thing to have happened to modern blues music, as they have taken it forward, by going back to some of the most primal basics, and in Dan Auerbach, we have a guitar hero for the new blues generation (which I hope isn't just me!)

I hope no-one flames me for this post, I knew about the blues before these bands even existed, as my Dad was very into John Lee Hooker, Bo Diddley and Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac among others, so it's not like I don't know anything about blues.
You're going to get owned, and you'll probably understand why.

Jack White is not a blues musician. He's heavily influenced by the blues so I can see why you might think that, but his sound is far too rock and modern to fit in here. This coming from a White Stripes fan too.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I did say "blues based"

Mind you, Eric Clapton gets his fair share of space here, and his output is far from 100% blues.

What about the Black Keys though?
True. But a good deal of Claptons material is actually heavily blues/electric blues and he was an important figure in the British blues rock scene. Jack White... wasn't.

Black Keys are the same, I think. While there's a big blues influence, they're not really what this forum is focused on. Like the White Stripes, you see them more at modern rock concerts and festivals because their music is more fitting with that than it is with their blues influences.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I have to disagree about the Black Keys I'm afraid. The way they're changing the Blues is the same way it was changed when it went electric for the first time. Have you heard "Chulahoma" yet. That album is nothing but blues!

Are we going to hear "Judas!" cries from the balcony at their concerts a la Dylan going electric - I hope so, if only to back up my point!

If Clapton in the blues rock era was "blues rock" then what are the Black Keys. They are far more Blues Rock than Cream ever were. You're probably going to mention the bluesbreakers now!

It's just hard to get a proper discussion on the go about some "crossover" artists.
idk much bout the black keys, just saw there name somewhere.
you told him to try to build bricks without straw
he asked you to build cities without bricks
I made a thread in this forum ages ago asking what people thought of the Stripes' Blues covers. It got lots of replies, mostly saying that he's good to get people who haven't heard the blues before, into the blues, but he isn't much of a bluesman himself.
Some of his music is very blues based, especially the De Stijl album. But I think he's venturing more away from blues as the White Stripes albums progress.

I'm a big fan of the Black Keys, and think they have alot of blues based songs. But the reason Chulahoma is so bluesy, is because it's covers of a man called Junior Kimbrough, who inspired Dan to play guitar. Their other stuff on the albums is slightly more rock based though.
Feel loved: Click here!

Joint President of The White Stripes club! PM Me or Jack_White455 to join this great club!

Ecky thump!
I'd say Jack White is "a bad word on this forum [sic]." But it's not merely as bad as John Mayer and he gets three threads a week at least. Seriously, **** John Mayer.

Bring your White Stripes threads to the modern rock forum and say they're a blues rock band. Since Rock n' Roll is a bi-product of the blues, every rock musician is blues influenced, therefore we can't discuss every blues based rock musicians. We never talk about AC/DC or The Allman Brothers here and they were much more blues based.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
The Allmans get talked about a lot on here. Personally I don't like them, but they do
i'd have to say AC/DC is not very blues based. i mean, i see the influences, but its hard rock, plain and simple
Quote by ufossuck
I'd say Jack White is "a bad word on this forum [sic]." But it's not merely as bad as John Mayer and he gets three threads a week at least. Seriously, **** John Mayer.

Bring your White Stripes threads to the modern rock forum and say they're a blues rock band. Since Rock n' Roll is a bi-product of the blues, every rock musician is blues influenced, therefore we can't discuss every blues based rock musicians. We never talk about AC/DC or The Allman Brothers here and they were much more blues based.

Well some......ok all of angus' solos were "bluesy" (they all sounded axactly alike) the bulk of the music was hard rock, the riffs, the vocals, the demeanor. they are hardly blues. come on
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by walkinbazooka
Well some......ok all of angus' solos were "bluesy" (they all sounded axactly alike) the bulk of the music was hard rock, the riffs, the vocals, the demeanor. they are hardly blues. come on

He said blues based, moreso than Jack White, not that they were pure blues.
I think the White Stripes are great blues-based rock. Jack White's cover of Death Letter was outstanding IMO.
I prefer listening the people who created the foundations of blues. Don't get me wrong, I love the way people mutate it into something fresh and new, but I find the foundations of blues a brilliant listen.
no what it hink the problem is a lot of blues lovers cant evolve. Music isnt suppose to stay the same all the time its suppose to grow and breathe. John mayer trio has a very blues based sound like it or not, and hes a fricken great blues guitarist. Jack white does come up with some blues sounding songs that are great he is very talented artist.

ive also heard people say that stevie ray vaughn isnt a blues artist because of his playing style. Screw that hes a fricken great blues player.
Stevie Ray Vaughan not blues !?!?

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
Quote by redsox193
no what it hink the problem is a lot of blues lovers cant evolve. Music isnt suppose to stay the same all the time its suppose to grow and breathe. John mayer trio has a very blues based sound like it or not, and hes a fricken great blues guitarist. Jack white does come up with some blues sounding songs that are great he is very talented artist.

ive also heard people say that stevie ray vaughn isnt a blues artist because of his playing style. Screw that hes a fricken great blues player.

Technically he's a rock guitarist. As I've said before, being a rock guitarist makes you something of a blues guitarist. I'd say he was on the same level as Billy Gibbons, Johnny Winter, George Thorogood and Pat Travers. (Not in the sense of skill) All of them are decidely rock guitarists, but they're on the thin line between blues and rock.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Quote by redsox193
rock is just an evolution of blues.

More of a bi-product. Had it evolved to rock than it wouldn't exist anymore. I don't believe music evolves, that would imply it gets better.
Quote by greggybhoy
I have to disagree about the Black Keys I'm afraid. The way they're changing the Blues is the same way it was changed when it went electric for the first time. Have you heard "Chulahoma" yet. That album is nothing but blues!

Are we going to hear "Judas!" cries from the balcony at their concerts a la Dylan going electric - I hope so, if only to back up my point!

If Clapton in the blues rock era was "blues rock" then what are the Black Keys. They are far more Blues Rock than Cream ever were. You're probably going to mention the bluesbreakers now!

It's just hard to get a proper discussion on the go about some "crossover" artists.

Listen to Sessions for Robert Johnson or when he was with The Bluesbreakers, hell even on his tour now he's doin stuf like Key to The Highway and its awesome. If you don't think that's more bluesy than the Black Eyed Peas then your smokin crack.

Edit: And Cream live was a blues band, they would jam on songs for 20 minutes of pure blues, with a little jazz influence thrown in.
Love in technicolour, sprayed out on walls
Well I've been pounding at the pavement
'Til there's nothing at all
I got my cloak and dagger
In a bar room brawl
See the local loves a fighter
Loves a winner to fall
Quote by srvman
what part of srv isnt blues?

The part that gives a **** wether it is or not
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
I don't really care to be honest. I just find it depressing to open up the Blues Forum and instead of seeing threads on the Genre's under appreciated artists, we get five more SRV, Mayer, White threads.
Don't be derivative. Explore...
whoever says john myaer isnt a lbues guitarist is apparently an inept musician.......listen to the JM# cd and the song out of my mind.....then we'll see if jack white is as bluesy as john
"the electric church"

---------------
Squier Standard Strat
Fender Highway one Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
...soon to be more added
lol this isnt a discussion who is more bluesy. I just personally think that you dont have to be a purist and play twelve bar blues to be a "blues artist" i Think its more in just the general feel and tone of the playing, also the lyrical style.
Quote by INDUSTRIALMETAL
I don't really care to be honest. I just find it depressing to open up the Blues Forum and instead of seeing threads on the Genre's under appreciated artists, we get five more SRV, Mayer, White threads.

I know what you mean. It's not even like the under appreciation of obscure artists in every genre, we don't even discuss they famous bluesmen. I think I've seen one Howlin' Wolf thread, two Muddy Waters and one Sonny Boy Williamson and I made the Sonny Boy Williamson one. Half of this forum is SRV, about 35% is that ****ing douchebag, John Mayer and the rest is shared by the rest of the blues.
Quote by redsox193
well the forum leads towards the grittier texas blues style it seems

So why don't Freddie King, Albert Collins and T-Bone Walker get talked about half as much?

And don't ever try and pass John Mayer off as 'gritty texas blues'. It's an insult to texas blues music.
yeh i see you point (the guy hu said the stuff about all the threads being about the same people)

yet majority of the blues and jazz guys worth talking about are dead/nearly dead/fat/john mayer.

hopefully blues will become more popular in the next few years, give us something to talk about other than "omg did you see srvs strat in this video, i could have sworn i seen a chip", or have an orgasm if by chance they see a thread with SRV with a different guitar other than his first wife, heaven forbid eh?
Quote by StratRat13
Listen to Sessions for Robert Johnson or when he was with The Bluesbreakers, hell even on his tour now he's doin stuf like Key to The Highway and its awesome. If you don't think that's more bluesy than the Black Eyed Peas then your smokin crack.

Black Eyed Peas.

/unhelpful
Encore God & Asomodai- UG JHS Brotherhood

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.
The Raconteurs were on the VMA's last night with Billy Gibbons. I was diggin it and then they decided it wasn't worth watching and cut to a commercial. Billy and Jack, old and new, were trading licks, but MTV likes to show backstage footage of people walking around than real music.
Quote by Roll251
The Raconteurs were on the VMA's last night with Billy Gibbons. I was diggin it and then they decided it wasn't worth watching and cut to a commercial. Billy and Jack, old and new, were trading licks, but MTV likes to show backstage footage of people walking around than real music.

Damn! I'd LOVE to see that! Come on YouTube!
Encore God & Asomodai- UG JHS Brotherhood

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.
Quote by Roll251
That frustrates me
why doe any of this matter......jack white influenced by the blues......and so is pretty much everyone else.....ive even heard emo/metal/punk bands whos guitarists were influenced by the blues.....these threads suck...cuz people dont understand that if you ask if someone is a "bad word on this forum" you are going to start some stupid **** like people telling each other to **** off and so on.....so i think these kinds of threads are gay
"the electric church"

---------------
Squier Standard Strat
Fender Highway one Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
...soon to be more added
Quote by Roll251

That absolutely pissed me off. Lou Reed was on there as well . What I'm wondering is what MTV was trying to pull by putting legitimate musicians on their show? I highly doubt the audience had the slightest idea who either of them were, anyway.
Page 1 of 2