Yes, I know theres a very similar thread like this already, but my circumstance is a bit different.
Im about to get a twin reverb, and Im unsure of what overdrive and distortion to buy. The maxon is too expensive, although i really liked the TS-9. THe big muff sounded like sh!t on the guitarcenter version (mines an '81), as did the English Muffn. I tried the recommendation of the MT-2, which i thought sounded pretty decent for a wide variety of music. The DS-1 sounded horrible, BTW.

I love Frusciante tone and Santana tone. Any suggestion would be much appriciated.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Try some Muffs on your version of the Twin reverb, tweak them a bit, give them more of a chance, especially if you want Fru-type tones.

And try out a load of Tubescreamers (808 and others)
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
MT-2 paired with a Twin Reverb = SIN! lol

Definately try the Muffs as RHCP said. Also, although they might be a bit expensive, try some VisualSound effects. I really like the Route 66 American Overdrive/Compressor. I also really like the Jekyll and Hyde Distortion/Overdrive.
i haev a twin reverb, and i tried a TS-9 on it, it sounded pretty good when your playing, but when your not it feedbacks alot,
Quote by kurdtkobaign
MT-2 paired with a Twin Reverb = SIN! lol

Damn right, anyone who uses one of them is worse than Hitler himself.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I've tried a Big Muff through one of those, it was a 65 reissue though. It sounded good except the speaker sounded like it was being overloaded and it buzzed a lot. So in conclusion it sounded like ****. Same with the DS-1 (which sounded like **** anyways, sounds good on my Hotrod though) and the English Muffin. If it didn't buzz it would have sounded good.
^ well thats what I dont like about the MT-2...its buzzy. Like a high end fizz you just cant get rid of. Otherwise itd be a pretty solid pedal.
^ i have a metal zone and CAN actually make its sound alrite, im not some idiot that doesnt know good tone, but for the money its and ok pedal, with that amp tho, your better off with an overdrive
^ In the uk its like £50 .... which is alot for something so poor.
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
Quote by StuC

if you check ebay though theres plenty of people who sell them really cheap, im not tryin to defend the pedal or anythin because i dont realy like it, i just think for about 30 quid second hand, its not too bad
Quote by StuC

oh. I dont know waht taht is in US dollars but its always like 99 bucks here. Rarely is it ever on sale. I sell mine for like $89.99. I could sell them for like 57843578435435 dollars and kids would still buy them. "MY GuITAR TEACHOORRRR THAID THESE WERE TEH BETHT!!@!" ...etc.
I used to have a Big Muff, and it sounded pretty good with my previous amp (Musicman 100W - a hybrid) but it sounded seriously sh*t with my Laney, to the point where I actually thought there was something wrong with the pedal itself, so I got a Boss OS-2 which sounds OK, though I am really starting to prefer natural tube distortion, but I do sometimes use the Boss to sharpen it up a bit. I'm going to try a TS-9 out this week, though I still think it's seriously overpriced for what is basically just a fuzzbox.