So today I played my first ever concert with some of my friends. We had the setlist Enter Sandman (Metallica), Broken (12 Stones), Crazy Train (Ozzy Osbourne), and Sic (Slipknot). And I had the hardest time trying to stay calm. I mean I totally effed up a part of Enter Sandman cause I was so nervous. But then after that, I was fine. So my first question is : Will ever not be nervous on the first song, and how long will it take?

And my second question is about stage prescence. After we got done with the first song, I felt more calm, so I began to walk around and go up to the people in the crowd and play right in front of them. And then during Crazy Train during the 3rd chorus I kept doing pinch harmonics, and the crowd loved it cause it was so sudden. And then by Sic I was so calm I was headbanging. My next question: Did I have a good stage prescence at all, or was it okay/could be alot better? I mean this was only my first one, so I dont think I did that bad, but I'm just wondering if theres anything else to do to get a bigger stage prescence. Thanks.

HxC
You may not believe this. But writing your own music REALLY REALLY helps.

Because if you mess up or something, you can always improv over it. Blah blah.

Plus, it just looks better.

But yeah, I say don't cover that much anymore, its alot easier.
ESP LTD Viper-50
Dean AK48
Marshall MG-15
Peavey Sheffield 4x12
Peavey Transtube Supreme Head
Zoom 505 II
Well it was a benefit concert, so....yeah

edit: our singer also pulled an axl rose on the last song, because he didnt remember the words and half of them were the f word. so he just hopped off the stage and said, and the rest is muted out. lol. it was kinda funny but later i told him that was stupid cause he could have jumped around or something.
Last edited by HxC Til The End at Aug 19, 2006,
just play more. it dunt matter if its covers or original stuff, im coming at it more from a blues/blues rock angle so most can be improved. but even in any genre, doing covers is making them your own, so just have confidence in what your playing is right for your band, and that confidence carries over to your audience
keep blues alive
Alright, first of all, it was your first concert. You will definately improve. Secondly, the more you play, the less nervous you will be. For example, I was nervous too for my first concert. Now, I have very,very little stage fear whatsoever because I'm just used to being in front of people. Just go for your best. Also, people who don't play guitar often can't tell you're messing up unless it's pretty obvious. Just act like you know what you're doing. Playing original material helps because YOU wrote it.
Bill and Ted Fan Club Member #3. PM ollerom_mot or me to join.

"Let the Spirit guide your fingers."
it will take along long time before you are not nervous before a gig, playing loadsa gigs, if you ever do get over it that is, i know in interviews loadsa of top bands still get nervous before gigs...

im pretty much over nerves before little gigs in clubs now,(thats probly partly due to alcohol consumtion tho ) but ive probably played 30+ gigs this year, but when there is an important one, like botb, i still get abit nervous..

or stage presence you gotta go at it straight away, go sick, you go sick and the crowd will (unless theyre morbid) and someone is more likely to watch the band if you are doin something onstage, even if they are sat down having a drink, if you are all moving about they are gonna keep lookin at you just to see what you are doin...

my advice

and this should really go in the band leading forum though, and will probably be moved by SilentDeftOWNED pretty soon...
I know, never start off with a hard song, start off with something simple, we lpayed a gig last week, I was nervous and somewhat off my head (Stupid me) and we played plug in baby, ya I messed up....but athe next 30 songs went up hill!! I love the feeling tho!!
You will never not be nervous before a show, or during the first song. You will, however, learn to handle the feeling. It's normal, and it's the biggest part of what you're taught at a music school, IMO.

After a while, actually, you learn to redirect your emotions, so to speak... before a performance I still feel that way, and so does every other musician I've worked with, but you sort of learn to feed off of it and build excitement and expectation instead of being scared of it. It all comes from the adrenaline kick of being the person singled out in front of everybody, you get use to it and you learn to use it, but it never goes away... and the best way to get use to it is to perform, a lot.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
Quote by Corwinoid
You will never not be nervous before a show, or during the first song. You will, however, learn to handle the feeling. It's normal, and it's the biggest part of what you're taught at a music school, IMO.

After a while, actually, you learn to redirect your emotions, so to speak... before a performance I still feel that way, and so does every other musician I've worked with, but you sort of learn to feed off of it and build excitement and expectation instead of being scared of it. It all comes from the adrenaline kick of being the person singled out in front of everybody, you get use to it and you learn to use it, but it never goes away... and the best way to get use to it is to perform, a lot.

+500 to genious.

It was exactly what I was thinking. If you ever lose the nervous/excied/anxious feeling before a show it's time to retire. Turn the nervous energy into stage energy.
I've never performed music in front of a crowd, so I can't comment from personal experience. But I was recently reading an interview with Tom Petty who was talking about how he STILL gets nervous before he goes on stage, and he's been a major music figure for what, 30 years now? If Tom Petty still gets butterflies on stage than I think you are alright. Like Corwinoid said, just redirect those feelings to adrenaline and excitement.
We'd have to see you live to tell if you had good stage presence.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
hmm, i never really get nervous, its more of a rush for me, thats probably my favorite part of playing live is the rush of hanging there with just you and your buddies and you could mess up any second, i love it. haha, but on a side note, whats the deal with everyone playing covers around here? The local music scene around where im at, the whole set lists are almost always originals, cept maybe like one cover song once in a blue moon for fun. I think its easier to write your own crap too.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310
I get nervous before I go on stage still. I have all manner of thoughts running through my head about the impending gig. As soon as I get the first few chords out i'm fine.

Once you've got that confidence, and it seems like you're well on your way, then this will exude and the crowd will really get a feel for you. I used to be nervous as hell and stand in the one place, but now i tend to jump about, pull some rock poses, bounce about the stage, throw the guitar around my head with the strap (sometimes) and in between songs me and the other guitarist/singer rip on each other quite a bit.

It all comes, afterall, every musician you see had to go through the same thing