Does anyone here listen to real ska, like the Specials, the Selecter, early Madness, the Upsetters, Desmond Dekker etc...

Or is this just for American "Punk with horns" ska e.g. Reel Big Fish or whatever they're called.

I'm not trying to start an argument, but I was just wondering.....
No, but the "american punk with horns" is 3rd wave ska. So it is real ska.
brnh.bandcamp.com
Pretentious AND an idiot. No wonder you're so into Led Zepplin. Use the search button dumbass.
Minister of n00b harassing of the Punk and Ska fourm.
Quote by capsfan17, ss311, newyorkdolls138, somepunkkid, johnnynemo, axeslash, BrianApocalypse, mike2, dookie dude, lavazza and pinheadslts75
Thank God for CowsWithGuns

Quote by MattTheArsonist
Cowswithguns is my forum hero.

Quote by UraniYum
Cowswithguns is some kind of god on earth.

Love is never having to say your safeword.
No wonder I'm so into Led Zeppelin? That's got nothing to do with this thread! I wasn't talkign about punk music growing, I was talking about people growing up and expanding their horizons musically. Besides early zeppelin stuff was total quality, and hardly pretentious. You don't need to dissect the lyrics when they made music as good as they did. So f*ck you very much sir.
Quote by greggybhoy
No wonder I'm so into Led Zeppelin? That's got nothing to do with this thread! I wasn't talkign about punk music growing, I was talking about people growing up and expanding their horizons musically. Besides early zeppelin stuff was total quality, and hardly pretentious. You don't need to dissect the lyrics when they made music as good as they did. So f*ck you very much sir.

I believe that would be a ma'am.
Quote by greggybhoy
oh right.

Ma'am.

I should have realised it was a girl with that kind of irrational ranting.

Haha, wow, wonder how long before this guy's banned?
It's no surprise that kind of comment came from an elitist led zeppelin fanboy
brnh.bandcamp.com
To answer the question...
I downloaded some Specials last night, and I really liked it. I'm gonna look for one of their CDs sometime.
I like ska... I do like desmond dekker, the maytals (old, old ska) and stuff along those lines.
Quote by greggybhoy
oh right.

Ma'am.

I should have realised it was a girl with that kind of irrational ranting.

Spoken like a true virgin.

EDIT: By the by boy, I called you an idiot because you decided to clutter up the forum with a thread that's been made 8926492649 times instead of using the search button. Learn to read before you throw your next hissy fit please.
Minister of n00b harassing of the Punk and Ska fourm.
Quote by capsfan17, ss311, newyorkdolls138, somepunkkid, johnnynemo, axeslash, BrianApocalypse, mike2, dookie dude, lavazza and pinheadslts75
Thank God for CowsWithGuns

Quote by MattTheArsonist
Cowswithguns is my forum hero.

Quote by UraniYum
Cowswithguns is some kind of god on earth.

Love is never having to say your safeword.
Last edited by CowsWithGuns at Aug 19, 2006,
Quote by CowsWithGuns
Spoken like a true virgin.

Surely tis not fair to be taking the piss out of someone if they haven't had sex yet ?
all the types of ska are good.. i like that kind you are talking about but i love beer....
|_1√3 1|\| yΩ|_|® \/\/®|_D 93+ p\/\/n3d 1|\| 1\/11|\|3

I Love to Drink Bawls!

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
I like mostly 2nd wave stuff. A little 1st, a little 3nd, but mostly 2nd.
^I had no idea you liked ska!

I like all 3 waves of ska.

Ska to me is a music that started in Jamaica with an offbeat rythm. Some good bands in all 3 waves are:

1st Wave: Skatalites, Toots and the Maytals (my favorite for this wave), Prince Buster

2nd Wave/2-Tone: The Specials (the best of 2-Tone), Madness

3rd Wave: The Toasters (my favorite ska band, but I think they can be classed as 2nd Wave too), Operation Ivy....those are the only bands I like from 3rd wave, and yes it is punk-ska with horns..sometimes. Operation Ivy does not have horns.

Pick it up.
Last edited by the glue man at Aug 20, 2006,
My friend got in to bands like Reel big fish, Catch 22 and Streetlight, and I was like "you look ska?, cool, here, listen to some 2-tone stuff", and I let him listen to the Toasters..and he didn't really like it

I love all waves of ska, but I'm not always in the mood for it.
To me, Ska is a type of Jamaican Dance music that was stolen by white people and is now used to sell me various products in advertisements on television.

I don't know what wave I'd call my favorite, but the Slackers are my favorite Ska band!
To the topic starter I think you could get the idea here, all three waves of ska are good. Some just may be more partial to one.

I particularly enjoy listening and playing second and third wave ska. I play in a third wave skapunk band. We are THEE only skapunk in the scene here. Its fun.
its the bastard child of punk and reggae
Quote by evolutionised
my words of wisdom:

if you're over 18, click "I agree"
if you're below 18, also click "I agree"
Stop fighting.

And yeah, there's plenty of old school ska fans around here. Just do a thread search
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I've been busy getting drunk and yelling at endangered species for being pussies. It's a dehydrating job but someone has to do it.