My band is playing a gig in a week, that I wasn't particularly excited about to begin with, and when I mentioned to the guy that I liked the Chili Peppers, he practically begged for us to play Scar Tissue.

Obviously not a tough song at all, but it's got those god damn slide solos. I just WAY overpayed for a slide ($15, get the **** out of here) because I was too in a hurry to look for a decent deal, and I get home and use the thing and it makes my sound really twangy I guess would be the word. Basically it makes it sound like ****. And when the solo goes on the G and D strings I cannot figure out a way to stop the upper strings from making background noise since the slide hitting and moving on them causes them to vibrate and make sound when they shouldn't.

What the hell? How do you just get it to sound like a damn guitar?
Maybe use the neck p'up to get rid of the twangy-ness.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
The slide creates the twangy sound. That is just the nature of them. They are mostly used for slide blues type music that is twangy.
Perhaps you need a slide made out of a different material, plus, what finger are you using it on, and are you muting with your fretting fingers which are behind the slide to cut out overtones and ringing strings?
metal slides usually sound harsh on an electric and glass slides will sound smoother and nicer IMO. Metal slides do sound good on acoustics though. So if you have a metal one, look into getting or making a glass (bottleneck) one.
Quote by yeahyeah
metal slides usually sound harsh on an electric and glass slides will sound smoother and nicer IMO. Metal slides do sound good on acoustics though. So if you have a metal one, look into getting or making a glass (bottleneck) one.

Listen to that^
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Put the slide on your middle finger and use your index to mute the strings.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Put the slide on your middle finger and use your index to mute the strings.

Usually I'd disagree as I play alot of open slide, and putting it on your middle kills your playing. But, because you have 2 weeks, and that for the chords in the song you need all of your fingers (meaning have the slide close at hand.. on a mic stand, pocket, somewhere on your guitar... your mouth if you have to) and you only use it for the solo you may actually just go with that.
Quote by TimmyPage06
Usually I'd disagree as I play alot of open slide, and putting it on your middle kills your playing. But, because you have 2 weeks, and that for the chords in the song you need all of your fingers (meaning have the slide close at hand.. on a mic stand, pocket, somewhere on your guitar... your mouth if you have to) and you only use it for the solo you may actually just go with that.

True, the pinky would be ideal, but it's quite hard to get used too compared with the middle finger.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
i never got why people use slides on thier pinies, you lose quite a bit of control that way unless you use a 3/4 slide, for most people its optimal to put it on the ring finger and to mute with the middle finger.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
You don't need to play it slide, when I play Scar Tissue, I always play the Slane solos, they're just immense.
Or improvise and make your own solos for it.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Why play the gig if you are this angry about it? I would be psyched to play any gig in front of people.
High as tits
Ok, got a glass slide and it does sound a lot better. But still not like I'd want it to. Survived the gig though. Which actually turned out to be pretty cool surprisingly.

But yeah...my index and middle fingers are too fat for the slide...lol so I put it on my ring. For Scar Tissue at least I don't need to fret any notes other than with the slide so it doesn't matter that much. I figured out how the mute the other strings mostly but I still get a harmonic-ish ring once in a while and it bugs the hell out of me.