i only know one form of the powerchord, will somebody please enlighten me? also, are there other chords that sound good with distortion, or are commonly used with distortion? thanks. please leave a link or a tab or something to i can see these chords.
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
If you're tired of the powerchord, you aren't using it creatively.

Now, you can use other stuff as well. Pretty much any 2 note interval will work with heavy distortion, the most common being 4ths, tritones, and 3rds.

If you want a good example of a heavy riff that uses lots of those things, look at the into and 1st verse riffs of Megadeth's "Holy Wars."
^sure you dont mean Hanger 18?
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
I hate powerchords generally....I cant remember the last time I even played one. What sounds good with distortion? Well, experiment! Your exact tone is going to dictate what chords sound good to you.
Try some major and minor thirds
---
---
---
-3- Maj.
-5-
---

---
---
---
-4- Min.
-5-
---

Also some fourths
---
---
---
-5-
-5-
---
These are some that I use a lot. The first one is very Progressive sounding, the second is dissonant. and the I don't know what to say about the other.
-----------
-----------
-5-----4-
-3--5--5-
-1--2--2-
----------

There is a lesson on power chords or something that shows you things to do that can spice up some boring power chords.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
Last edited by FFFDFEFRFKFFF at Aug 20, 2006,
I forgot this one
---
---
-5-
-5-
-3-
-3-
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
power chords are the lazy way to play guitar.

learn real chords, youll never get bored cause theres always more to learn.

there are so many different variations of a 'real' chord youd be amazed.
thats true to a point, but most "real" chords sound horribly muddy when distorted, which is why most metal people (even the super technical ones) use power chords for rhythm playing.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Learn how to build triads using theory. Then learn how to invert those chords, and make the root the highest note for example, there's many different ways to play the same exact chord.

What sounds good with distortion? I like to use 4ths, even though they are even lazier than 5ths

Also, I find that getting rid of the third makes most chords sound good with distorion. For example, just play the 1 and the b7. Or add a b7 to a root and 5th to make a...Blues Power chord?? (idk what to call it lol).

I would go into a whole shpeel about how to make chords, and invert them, but I'm to lazy lol . I think I'll go play some powerchords.
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

try minor and major 3rd intervals.

a major interval would be a-5 d-4
and a minore would be a-5 d-3

the major is good for poppunk/punk and for metal u could make good use of the minor
Quote by 812many
i only know one form of the powerchord, will somebody please enlighten me? also, are there other chords that sound good with distortion, or are commonly used with distortion? thanks. please leave a link or a tab or something to i can see these chords.

just play around. Make combos of two or three notes on the lower strings and see what you like. Trial and error.

Also, look into progressive power chords (awesome!! but that's just me as I luv prog metal) and triads, or add a sharp or flat to basic power chords.

try this article. I think these chords could really be used in any genre.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/music_styles/art_rock_part_1_-_progressive_concepts.html
Last edited by rockergurl09 at Aug 20, 2006,
Quote by hippie_cune
power chords are the lazy way to play guitar.

learn real chords, youll never get bored cause theres always more to learn.

there are so many different variations of a 'real' chord youd be amazed.

Not all "real" chords sound good with distortion. Not that I'm endorsing powerchords, but sometimes they're what you need for heavy music.
thanks for all the help.
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
try these
Augmented
e---------
b---------
g---------
d---------
a----8---
e----5---

octave
e---------
b---------
g---------
d----7----
a----x---
e----5---

Minor
e---------
b---------
g---------
d----10--
a----7---
e----5---

not sure what its called
e---------
b---------
g---------
d----9---
a----7---
e----5---

Just play a power chord and mess around with it and find the right sound its not very hard also alot of jazz chords sound good with distortion as do refular chords if you leave out a string or two.
There's a lot of times where I'll have written something with larger, more complex chords, but then I need to play it with distortion at a different part of the song, and the way I use to play it wouldn't sound good. so, in that case, what I do is find the 2 most important or just 2 most interesting notes in the chord and play those. and I usually have a bassist, so I don't even have to hit the root and just let him do it.

Also, I've grown to really like the 3rd low, root high combo.

g major

7-x-5-x-x-x

g minor

6-x-5-x-x-x

With my guitar tone (focused on the highs and mids), the root really comes out really strong and sounds a lot better than when normally putting in a 3rd with distortion.
I have an addiction...

Les Paul style DeArmond
Danelectro baritone
Rickenbacker 360/12
defretted Strat
lap steel
Yamaha CP-70
Yamaha P-90
Kay archtop
Kay Tenor Banjo
Oud
Sitar
Harmonium
Melodica
Cello

http://www.myspace.com/hi9
Quote by jim_smith
try these
Augmented
e---------
b---------
g---------
d---------
a----8---
e----5---

octave
e---------
b---------
g---------
d----7----
a----x---
e----5---

Minor
e---------
b---------
g---------
d----10--
a----7---
e----5---

not sure what its called
e---------
b---------
g---------
d----9---
a----7---
e----5---

Just play a power chord and mess around with it and find the right sound its not very hard also alot of jazz chords sound good with distortion as do refular chords if you leave out a string or two.

that one you're not sure of is a sus2 chord. you can pretty much use that anywhere to create a more airy sound. also try this voicing
e------------
b----------
g-----------
d----7-----
a----7-----
E----7-----

the root note is on top here and the sus2 in the bass, but you can always have the bass player play the root an octave lower for you. a very cool chord.
Quote by FFFDFEFRFKFFF
Try some major and minor thirds
---
---
---
-3- Maj.
-5-
---

---
---
---
-4- Min.
-5-
---

Also some fourths
---
---
---
-5-
-5-
---
These are some that I use a lot. The first one is very Progressive sounding, the second is dissonant. and the I don't know what to say about the other.
-----------
-----------
-5-----4-
-3--5--5-
-1--2--2-
----------

There is a lesson on power chords or something that shows you things to do that can spice up some boring power chords.

the "major" chord is the minor and the other way round

and about the last chord, it's the same as the dissonant chord only it has an extra root note
Use powerchords all you want. People often think they're too good for powerchords, but the Powerchord is probably one of the biggest and most rock-useful chord ever created. It's simple but powerful. If you get sick of using just power chords, mix them up with some single-note riffs and fills.

Moral: The powerchord is the most influencial chord in rock history.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
With distortion, I agree power chords are best even though they are easy...
3rds and minor 3rds sound good, so do octaves, and ninths (not a real ninth, i mean the 9th where you just play a powerchord and add the 9th on top. Technically called a G omit 3 add9, I think, if it were a G.)