hey yall. i want to get a guitar with EMG's in it but since i dont know much about actives i have a question, does a maple top on a mahogany body affect the tone as much as it does with passives? ive got maple tops on both my guitar, have to have them, mahogany by it's self sounds too muddy, but i dont know how actives will differ in the wood. basically think of it as the C-1 Hellraiser: Black VS. Quilted maple Black Cherry.
Not really since the wood doesn't really affect the tone of active pickups anyway. The pickups negate about 90% of all wood tone.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
It should sound fine man, that's a common combination. I've even played the ESP/LTD SRC 607B black guitar, which is a full maple body, and it still sounded good to me. It better for a $900 guitar though.

Quote by SGStrummer61
Not really since the wood doesn't really affect the tone of active pickups anyway. The pickups negate about 90% of all wood tone.

I don't know where people get that. An active pickup just uses a powered preamp, so the magnet itself doesn't need to be as strong. The wood still has an affect on the tone, just like any other magnetic pickup.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Aug 20, 2006,
the maple top will still give a little added brightness to the mahogany, just like it would do with a passive pickup. I had/have several guitars with EMG's, ranging from mahogany, ash, basswood, to maple, and the wood imparts it's own characteristics on each of them.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
cool man, so which would you suggest, maple topped mahogany or all mahogany? im going for a Shadows Fall kind of sound. ill probally be using a 85/60 combo
I don't know a lot of their music, but if you like the maple cap normally, I would get that. I also prefer the maple cap on mahogany, I like the little added brightness. Just make sure it's an actual maple cap, and not a laminate however, that will have no affect at all. Normally, I'm not big on the 85, I much prefer the 81 for a bridge pickup. However, I did find that the only wood I really liked the 85 in was mahogany. It just seemed to boomy to me in some of the other woods I tried it in, at least in the neck where I use it. The mahogany seems to make a nice balance with it though. I haven't tried the 85 as a bridge pup yet however.
amp clips
amp vids
well i was going to use the 85 in the bridge cause its got more mid range, plus Jon Donias, the lead guitarist form Shadows Fall, uses the 85 in the bridge and he has killer tone. odd thing is though, he's the only guitarist i know of to use it. all the other bands i listen to that use EMG's have 81's in the bridge. i guess i just really need to sit down and play it.
Quote by lp_dude_2
well i was going to use the 85 in the bridge cause its got more mid range, plus Jon Donias, the lead guitarist form Shadows Fall, uses the 85 in the bridge and he has killer tone. odd thing is though, he's the only guitarist i know of to use it. all the other bands i listen to that use EMG's have 81's in the bridge. i guess i just really need to sit down and play it.

ive used an 85 in the bridge..it just doesnt have the treble of the 81..like if the 85 had a bit more treble it would be a better bridge pup than the 81

but i do have a crappy SS amp right now
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
I'd go w/ mahog + maple cuz it's just good stuff.

But EMGs have plenty of treble so I don't find the mahogany to be muddy.
haha
The advantage of emgs are that you can switch 'em and leave the wirings intact. Just unplug 'em and plug in another.

So if you don't like the 85 too much stick in the 81.

Anyway I have 81-60 in my all mahogany lp and there's nothing muddy about 'em. In fact, they're a sweet combo.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
yeah ive been asking around local guitar shops of people's opinions and they all say 81. and i think im going to go for it. only jon is the only one i know that uses the 85. but hey if i dont like it, i can always just unglug it like oldrocker said
The heavy output of the actives will pretty much negate any wood choice you make.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
There's definitely a sound difference between EMGs in an alder guitar like Kirk Hammett plays or mahogany, like James Hetfield or Zakk Wylde. However, if you're deciding between Schecters, I've found that their maple tops are not really quality enough to change the tone. They're mostly for show. Therefore, if you have to pick between C-1 Hellraisers, just pick the color you like more. The "maple top" will NOT make a difference in your sound.
Main setup:

ESP Eclipse
PRS Torero SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster head, 2x12 cab
FX: Crybaby Slash Wah, Ibanez TS9x, Mesa Boogie Throttle Box, Boss TU-2, BF-3, DD-3, PS-6, RC-3, etc.
Quote by noodlegts
There's definitely a sound difference between EMGs in an alder guitar like Kirk Hammett plays or mahogany, like James Hetfield or Zakk Wylde. However, if you're deciding between Schecters, I've found that their maple tops are not really quality enough to change the tone. They're mostly for show. Therefore, if you have to pick between C-1 Hellraisers, just pick the color you like more. The "maple top" will NOT make a difference in your sound.

actually i was just using those two guitars as an example incase i confused anyone. i actually want to go for the Washburn X50PRO with EMG's in it. ive already got a schecter anyways.
i think this is pretty easy. the best combo that i can think of would be...

mahogany body w/ maple top (or koa)
and the Zakk Wylde set of EMG's

^^mmmm buttsecks^^
Depends what you're going for. If you're a dedicated lead guitarist, then I'd go for an Alder body with 81's (like Kirk has). The brighter tone will help you cut through the mix during solos. For playing ryhtm I'd go with a Mahogany body, 81/85 combo like Zakk Wylde.

Now, if you don't want to commit to either, like me, get a guitar with a mahogany body and put 2 81's in it. Trust me when I say it sounds awesome. The 81 in the neck is really great for thicker sounding, more powerful leads, whereas the 81 in the bridge is nice and crunchy for rythms and stays very clear and articulate for ripping solos.
Main setup:

ESP Eclipse
PRS Torero SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster head, 2x12 cab
FX: Crybaby Slash Wah, Ibanez TS9x, Mesa Boogie Throttle Box, Boss TU-2, BF-3, DD-3, PS-6, RC-3, etc.
because im going to be using that for something else. heres how i see it:

C-1 Plus: standard tuning
SZ320: Drop C#
new EMG guitar: Drop C

i want to have a guitar for different tunings i use and with different tones. the C-1 is classic rock modern rock funk and some metal(mainly lamb of god and Trivium) SZ for nu-metal (Linkin park, trustcompany, system of a down) and use the new EMG for straight up metal (shadows fall, arch enemy, killswitch engage)
thanks man, its taken a log time to get the gear i have. a lot of saving up, working, and trading **** in.

yeah i know about the ESP's. ive been looking at every guitar site i can think of. guitars ive found that im considering are the EC400 like you mentioned, the hellraiser, the X50PROFE from washburn, and thats it. and im actually thinking about getting one with a 81/85 combo and then just buy the 60 cause you never know when i want to switch the 81 for the 85.