i tried to look up on the internet and some informations helpful but not alot.......i want to learn scales so i can start soloing because ive gotten good enough now but i dont understand the scales.....i have a basic idea but its still pretty confusing....i never took a single lesson in my life so i dont know alot about notes or anything........im just used to reading tabs the basic way....thats why its confusing.....if someone would be nice enough to help me out that would be great......thanks
Quote by jezjr48
i tried to look up on the internet and some informations helpful but not alot.......i want to learn scales so i can start soloing because ive gotten good enough now but i dont understand the scales.....i have a basic idea but its still pretty confusing....i never took a single lesson in my life so i dont know alot about notes or anything........im just used to reading tabs the basic way....thats why its confusing.....if someone would be nice enough to help me out that would be great......thanks

What is it you don't understand exactly? Try to describe what gives you trouble and maybe we can help more.
if your confused about notes and where to start, then the right place for you to start is back in early theory. yes, soloing can be great but you hafta have your chops on theory before you find yourself in the future with limited musical knowledge. i would start with learning the notes and getting very comfortable with the fretboard. from there, move into learning a few scale patterns if soloing is your main goal. i did not cover many elements of theory that you should know but it is important that you cover it. you dont wanna become a box player in the future...
and i already am comftorable with the fretboard....i can already play over 30 songs......and i when i was learning the trooper by iron miaden i was impressed with his solo and wanted to learn how i could do the same
you can mix them up. try making/acquiring a background track (do you have guitar pro??) and play along with it. on the site i believe its the a blues and he talks about 12 bar blues... actually i think he might havbe a back track but im not sure. i learned on that site too, and i still use the minor blues scale all the time.
you should out that pcikngrin lesson on here, I remember that being pretty good, do you atleast know the minor pentatonic.
Quote by King ofKumbucha
What is plexi? Do you mean a guitar made out of plexiglass?
he means learn the notes of the frettboard. Everyone here can play over thirty songs, big whoop. You need to be around musicians more, you seem to feel you are real good because u can read tabs, and play songs, but without the basics you know nothing. good musicians can improvise. you need to know music theory, and without a teacher, good freaking luck. no one will admire u as any better of a musician if u have a teacher or if u r self taught, u r a beginner, and the place to find the answer to ur questions is not us, its a hands on teacher
thanks squier for life.......and no i dont.....ive been busy learning songs and getting my skills up i havent been trying to learn about musical notes....i always hated learning about it in music class it gave me a head ache and it was confusing lol.......but anyways like for this scale
http://www.guitarseek.com/getscale.php3

now for that i get the key and i understand that i would play c.......but playing just the c.......how would that make a solo??
ok, i was in the same situation as you couple of years back, first go thru the 3 websites that i have given u. then, try to figure out the key of the song n start finding the first first few notes to the solo, with the first few notes, u will roughly get the shape of the scale being used. tat is y i feel that the site www.guitarseek.com is very useful when it comes to figuring out solos. N basically if u play any scale within the correct key the song will sound Okay except that if u try to put say the bules scale, major scale n pentatonic scale into a single solo, it will sound like a mess. normally a single type of scale is used in a song.
thanks yauh i think i get it now......but if im trying to create my own solo......would i play like different c's and then go to b or g or sumthing in the major scale
u can play any note in that http://www.guitarseek.com/getscale.php3 scale in any C key progession but for it to sound 'great', that will depend on the individual's creativity, technique and feel.

For example, SRV's little wing and Hendrix's little wing sound different.....why? even though they are playing in the same scale, their feel is different....
u can play any any note i tat major scale, it will sound 'in key' but whether it will sound kickass depends on ur creativity.....
hey listen buddy i dont play a squier.....when the h3ll did i say that??? i have an agile........and ive only been playing for 4 months and jesus i am going to learn the notes its just i wanted to get my skills up first.......and thats what ive been practicing the last months..... i was just asking about soloing and the scales alright.... so b4 yu go and become a big a$$hole.......not that you already have.....get your facts straight
if you're writing your own solo, stick with the minor pentatonic at first (since it sounds ok in almost anything). You can pretty much play any note in that pattern you want. If its in the same key, it will sound ok (so if your song is in A, you play the A minor pentatonic)
For example, a solo could include a scale run in which you play the notes of the scale in the order you see them (on the scale diagram), or you could mix it up and play the notes out of order.

if i were you, i would stick with minor pentatonic while learning to improvise, and then move on once you've completely mastered it all throughout the fretboard (major/minor and other variations can give your playing more feeling, but if you're just looking for the basics, stick with pentatonic for now... dont get ahead of yourself.)
Learn the 12-tones, where they are on the neck, and the C-major scale. Figure out the intervals between each note in the scale (it's the same formula for all 12 possible major scales). Then move on to minor scale, and so on and so forth. Not fun, but it's something you gotta learn. Please don't be another guitarist that can only think in 3's and 10's rather than G's and Bb's
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
and yeah FLrhcpEA stop being a dick, the forums are for people who want to learn just as much as it is for the all-knowing among us. and jezjr48 i assume he thought you played a squier because you said my name.

and btw i don't play a squier, i play an ibanez. the name is obviously a joke. some people are dense.
thanks.....ive only been playen for 4 months and i wanted to work on my skills b4 i worked with notes so i didnt look like a disabled handicaped man when i went to learn and song.........but yes now im gona start learning the scales and you all helped me understand it alot more then the internet did........thanks for your help......take it easy peace