i would like to cover dammit by blink 182 in the band i'm currently in. problem is, the other guitarist and bassist like mainly metal and not pop-punk at all. so, i was wondering on tips on how to give the song a "metal touch" so they'd be willing to play it.

Note: metal to them is like SOAD, Tool, Metallica, Slipknot, Korn, etc.

EDIT: if this is in the wrong orum, please have it moved.
Call me Michael...

Mixing
Need something mixed? Send me a PM with the details! Cheap rates, fast turnaround, satisfaction guaranteed!

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
Last edited by TasianSensation at Aug 20, 2006,
Well, my only suggestion to them would be using metally techniques. Make up a solo, throw in squeals and scream like a goon.
Scream the lyrics
lol just joking
nah I agree with these blokes (especially the Aussie one, go Australia)
chuck in some facemelters
Palm muting, heavy distortion, shred solo, growled lyrics (IE less nasal than pop-punk style), double kick drums, harmonised guitars, pick harmonics...all of these and more are techniques that sound "metal", try incorporationg some of them. Even just putting a metal tone on the guitars, using all downpicking, and some palm muting should significantly change the song's sound.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
If you have a whammy bar, go crazy with it. Experiment with everything from feedback to flangers and stuff. Get a heavy palm-muted groove going with the song and incorporate some minor scales if the song fits that.
My Gear :

Guitar:
Squier '51 (Dimarzio PAF Pro) (10-52s)
Roland Cube 15
Behringer X-V-Amp
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS DS-1 (modded)

Bass:
Yamaha RBX270 (55-110s)
Behringer BXL900
EHX Bass Balls Pedal
EHX Big Muff Pi Pedal
My advice: Don't play Dammit. Every band tries to cover Dammit when they first start out and I hate it!!

But seriously...I guess you could try to tune down to Drop C (if your guitar can handle it. The song is in C major) and play the chords with heavy palm-muting in a badass rhythm. Oh, and scream
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
They think SOAD, Slipknot and Korn are metal guys I don't think throwing in a solo is an option here

And Yeah I know Mick Thomson is a great guitarist, it just doesn't show in Slipknot that much, so no flaming from Slipknot fans!
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by rockxwl
My advice: Don't play Dammit. Every band tries to cover Dammit when they first start out and I hate it!!

But seriously...I guess you could try to tune down to Drop C (if your guitar can handle it. The song is in C major) and play the chords with heavy palm-muting in a badass rhythm. Oh, and scream

dammit won't be our first song.... we're covering atreyu and SOAD, too.

could you (or someone else) please explain how drop C would help? besides the added heaviness
Call me Michael...

Mixing
Need something mixed? Send me a PM with the details! Cheap rates, fast turnaround, satisfaction guaranteed!

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
It just sounds heavier dude. And my first thought is more distortion. Lots and lots of distortion. Make Cannibal Corpse sound like the wiggles.
Quote by Magero
It just sounds heavier dude. And my first thought is more distortion. Lots and lots of distortion. Make Cannibal Corpse sound like the wiggles.

hahaha

the wiggles
Quote by TasianSensation
the other guitarist and bassist like mainly metal and not pop-punk at all.

good for them