Ok theres a standbye switch and a turn off switch...

I know ur not suppose to just kill it, but or u suppose to turn off poiwer and leave on the standbye wait and then turn off the standbye?
You should leave it on standby for a few minutes to allows the tubes to cool, then cut off the power.
Gear

Son Of Beast *IDW it anymore*
Peavey 6505+ Head
Marshall 1960A Cab

Quote by Draken
Guys relax if you can't joke about genocide then what can you do?
Not really. You need to leave the amp on standby for a few minutes when turning it on so the tubes warm up, but turning it off it is OK to just kill it. Maybe leave it on standby for 5 seconds.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
it doesn't matter either way, it doesn't damage the capacitors to discharge them quickly or let them hold a current. I hit standby first just out of habit, so it's in standby when I turn it back on. It won't damage anything to shut it right off though.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by licitanarchy
You should leave it on standby for a few minutes to allows the tubes to cool, then cut off the power.

The tubes don't cool on standby, they cool when you turn it off.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by licitanarchy

You have a tube amp and you still think this? Give me your 6505, NOW.
Quote by rockxwl
but turning it off it is OK to just kill it. Maybe leave it on standby for 5 seconds.

I've recently acquired a tube amp and I did initially turn it straight off, but the amp was making quite a loud popping sound when I did that, so I started switching to standby for a few seconds before switching the power off. Generally speaking electrical components don't like large transients (sudden changes in voltage) - they tend to shorten their lifespan, so I think you will probably get a bit more life out of your tubes if you switch your amp off like that.
First, use the search button.

Second, I've done pretty extensive research, and it doesn't matter at all how you turn your amp off. If you want to turn it to standby so you don't hear any noise, fine. If you want to just kill it, that's fine too.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
First, use the search button.

Second, I've done pretty extensive research, and it doesn't matter at all how you turn your amp off. If you want to turn it to standby so you don't hear any noise, fine. If you want to just kill it, that's fine too.

This guy speaks the truth, it makes no difference one way or another... You don't get transients occuring when you turn it off "blind" anyway because the capacitors gradually discharge when you turn off this way.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Quote by Erock503
it doesn't matter either way, it doesn't damage the capacitors to discharge them quickly or let them hold a current. I hit standby first just out of habit, so it's in standby when I turn it back on. It won't damage anything to shut it right off though.

yea, me too. I just switch off the standby first a second before flipping the power switch off. But its doesn't really matter. i also turn my volume down to zero before turning it off so when I turn it on next its on zero
I think it would be best to turn standby off aswell in case next time you turn the amp on when you flick Standby you could be turning it off... If that made sense... Cos the tubes will get all bad =P
Quote by Mascot

My god, I feel dumber from reading that.

Yeah, somehow I feel like my brain is full of bong resin and I haven't touched weed in 5 years.
Hi, I'm Peter
+1 to the standy before turning on. I just do it because it's reverse of how I turn it on.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
so how about the other way around?

When I turn it on it is in standbye, how long should I wait before switching from standby to on?
Thats why I dont really like tube amps. I constantly worry when I use my friends if Im gonna screw the amp up.
Quote by cubedeathk
Thats why I dont really like tube amps. I constantly worry when I use my friends if Im gonna screw the amp up.

and that is why you have inferior tone
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@!!!!!!!!!! i own a peavey classic 50 with celestion speakers!! you are suppose to warm them up by using stand by, but you CAN kill it!!it doesnt matter they cool off anyway its shut off
Quote by AngryGuitarist
No! i own a peavey classic 50 with celestion speakers!! you are suppose to warm them up by using stand by, but you CAN kill it!!it doesnt matter they cool off anyway its shut off

Quote EDIT: For sanity's purpose.

You know he's specifically asking about turning it off right?
Quote by cubedeathk
I glady sacrifice my tone for peace of mind.

I'm assuming Slipknot is your god.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I'd rather use my 2x12 behringer than a teeny tube amp i'd get in the same price range (or even much more) because I'm not gigging around so only I have to be a victim of my bad tone. As for right now, I'd much rather concentrate on getting better at playing my guitars then have a kickass tone but play ****ty music.

Just my $.02.

I have to say, though, that from the tube amps I've played through, the Crates are suprisingly good. I mean their SS amps are crap compared to most others, but their tube amps are awesome in the price range of the fender and peavey tube amps.
Do not worry if you have built your castles in the air. They are where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
- Thoreau

Ibanez Ex-370 For Sale!
Quote by ride.the.cliche
I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I'd rather use my 2x12 behringer than a teeny tube amp i'd get in the same price range (or even much more) because I'm not gigging around so only I have to be a victim of my bad tone. As for right now, I'd much rather concentrate on getting better at playing my guitars then have a kickass tone but play ****ty music.

I'm feelin that.
The Don of the UG Mafia, PM me to join the family.

General of the Rage Against the Myspace Club, PM me to enlist.

Member #2 of the 'Shut the fuck up and respect other people's music' Club.' PM TheGospelOfRob to join.