My goal in the Guitar world: Just learn how to play the songs I like, solos, introduction/ the cool riffs things like that, also perhaps learn random things from video games, T.v. shows.

Not sure about making my own song/improvisation yet. Too early and I never had a passion for guitar (17 years old and just started learning 2 months ago.) How I look at it, it's a lot easier to stick to a hobby if you started at a very young age.

MAIN QUESTION: For a casual/hobby player who just wants to have some fun (like stated above) are barre chords necessary to learn?

I find them too difficult to learn (all strings ringing clearly). Are there much more challenging techniques up ahead as my experience grows ?
just keep doing them, it's good to have them in your arsenal. eventually they'll sound good, but you just need to keep at it and it will eventually happen, just as how fluently switching chords happen. some of my friends who have been playing for almost a year still can't do barre chords, and that has limited them in terms of songs and stuff.
barre chords are a must, i remeber when i was learning them they sucked but as you practice they ger soo much easier and are much cooler than open chords and yes there are a hell of alot of harder techniques than barre chords.
depends on what type of music you play.. they are mainly used in acoustic stuff but they are used on electric and in some rock

really they are worth learning just give them a few minutes everytime you practice and you should have them down soon

and yes there are a few more common techniques that are much harder like sweep picking it just really depends on what comes natural for you I didn't really strugle with barre chords it only took me a couple days to be able to play them pretty well
Quote by brandonian
you nose started bleeding, so the first thing you do is post it on UG? i don't understand the reasoning behind that one my friend

Quote by unplugtheradio
screw grammar i practice economic typing.
^^
Quote by Reez
My goal in the Guitar world: Just learn how to play the songs I like, solos, introduction/ the cool riffs things like that, also perhaps learn random things from video games, T.v. shows.

Not sure about making my own song/improvisation yet. Too early and I never had a passion for guitar (17 years old and just started learning 2 months ago.) How I look at it, it's a lot easier to stick to a hobby if you started at a very young age.

MAIN QUESTION: For a casual/hobby player who just wants to have some fun (like stated above) are barre chords necessary to learn?

I find them too difficult to learn (all strings ringing clearly). Are there much more challenging techniques up ahead as my experience grows ?

There are critical chords that you will never be able to play without learning barre chords. Don't be lazy. You're just going through something everyone else did.
Hi, I'm Peter
To be honest, if you wanna play a *decent* version of a lot of songs, you should know them, especially for acoustic. However, most barre chords could be played as power chords (the 3 note kind for a bit of extra oumph). In general though, they are a foundation that most songs use and are a very good thing to know.

Simply put, do you have to? No. Will it make you sound a lot better and increase the amount of songs you can not only play, but play well? Yes.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Okay cool, sounds good. I am still trying to get the first barre chord that appeared in this book I'm reading; F major Root 6 Barre Chord.

BTW it's been two months and I still can't switch between the basic chords, sure I'm a lot better than from Day 1 but I was expecting that I'd be able to switch in a split second; maybe it's because I spent too much time playing scales and other finger exercises over and over again ?
Nope. You'll eventually get it. Don't worry about it. Just keep practicing. You have no reason to have any expectations, really, since you don't know.
Hi, I'm Peter
There isn't such a thing as too much really, it's just a case of not enough on the chords. If you have to take time from your scales etc to do this, then do. Chords, or even power chords, are the basis to most songs, and are completely nessecary. Just practice chord progressions over and over until you can switch chords fast enough. It takes some time.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
bar chords were difficult for me at first, and at one point i just avoided playing them, but then i found that one of my favourit songs had a bar chord (in fact i think its the same one that you are having trouble with) and i decided to just practice so that i would be able to play this song ( mind you i cant switch between chords fast enough yet so it still sounds bad) and after only a few weeks of practicing these bar chords i can play them (not particularly well but hey i can still do it!)
Well you don't have to feel as though you have to learn anything. You don't Have to learn Barre chords, however as most people above have stated it would be extremely useful. So I would advise it and once again as most people above have stated just keep trying to play them and eventually you'll get it. I got quite lucky with them becuase they basically just clicked it. If your not going to learn barre chords make sure you learn your power chords and they are also extremely useful.
YOU HAVE TO LEARN BARRE CHORDS.... they are a must.... since they are only a few forms that can be moved up and down the fretboard to form many more chords they are essential.... they are hard at first but once you get the hang of them the open up a whole new world... just practice
I would say about three quaters of the guitar parts to songs contain barre chords. They're damn good for song writing too cos you can change pitches really easy. There are also some chords such as F and B that can really only be played using a bar. Hate to say it, but they're not something that you afford to miss out.
Quote by Reez
Are there much more challenging techniques up ahead as my experience grows ?

YES! A lot depends where you want to go with the guitar. But, I think it's safe to
say that the stuff you're grappling with now, is the relatively easy stuff. The
more advanced techniques and demanding riffs & licks get exponentially harder
(the learning curve gets much steeper). If you don't get a good handle on the
basics, you'll never be able to play beyond a certain level.
Barre chords are very useful to have in your technique. Almost everyone struggles with these at first, so just be patient. It took me forever to get them right.
you must learn barre chords NOW

when you begin a new song with barre chords, practice with your guitar on your left leg sitting down if your a righty and visa versa. then your muscles will remember and when you are ready, you can play better with that song. worked for me!
Just keep practicing and they'll be the same as playing any other chord, maybe a tiny bit more difficult.
what is the music theory and what does it teach you, like scales, solos, and to build speed???

Check out my recordings
YES but as you progress you'll find your self using power chords and partial chord forms instead. Still DO THE BASICS you'll never be sorry.
Depotgang

i remember when i wanted to learn barre chords....those bitches...

wtvr..once you learn them you will be using them alot
Fighting for peace, is like screwing for virginity

Screw you Waldo, go find yourself!!!!
What a bitch... So I heard it's all about finger strength.

I should buy one of those gadget things where you squeeze them with your fingers?

(Not hand grippers...)
If it's in a song you like then yes.
***************Sig***************
Taylor 314 & GS Mini & Martin LX1