in some biography shows and stuff like that about hendrix, i hear people say he tweaked with the back of his guitars, ive been really interested in playing hendrix stuff lately, and im really tryin to find anything i can do to make me sound more like him. so i was wondering if anyone knows exactly what did he "tweak" exactly, wires , action? thanks for the help
-gtrfrk
~gtrfrk

founder of the dunlop pick fan club

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

"Let the good times roll"
I can tell you he did all of the above mentioned and used light string gauges in combination with 5 springs on his trem for more stable tuning....

...but you seriously think you can sound like hendrix? If you can even get close, props to you.
Quote by Raven
i would much rather go to the ****ing hospital and have them surgically reattach my penis instead of slap some silly puddy on there and call 'er "mangled johnny"
^ not that hard , imo

strat+ over driven amp+ blues runs+ way to much whamey abuse+ stoned out hippie fans= hendrix legacy

i mean- he did alot for music- but in no way is he THAT great. i mean most musicians can play better than he could, hes not very clean, and the singing sucked.

but he was different- so thats why hes big
Quote by tongue untied
strat+ over driven amp+ blues runs+ way to much whamey abuse+ stoned out hippie fans= hendrix legacy

i mean- he did alot for music- but in no way is he THAT great. i mean most musicians can play better than he could

i completely disagree with you.
his guitar licks are extremely technical, whether you know it or not.

as for the threadstarter: to clarify about reversing the strings...the bottom pickup is usually diagonal, to make the lighter guage strings brighter. But hendrix, since he played a right handed strat like a left handed strat....had a bottom pickup in reverse diagonal position, resulting in his heavier guage strings sounding brighter than normal.

Also, his gear was minimal, a Uni-vibe, fuzz face, and a wah pedal. Wah pedals these days aren't that great, though, might have to either buy an expensive one or do some post-market mods.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Aug 21, 2006,
about the reverse diagonal....

GFS pickups are actually pretty good for the price. LINK
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
maybe some of his pickups were reverse wound? i don't know. just always wondered how he can control all the feedback with a lot of fuzz and an extremely loud amp.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
yea he also used an octavia, and like 10 vintage marshal full stacks, but hey dont sound like hendrix sound like you, hendrix didnt sound like anyone and that was part of what made him great.
hes not that great IMO, but he sure did something to the history of music.
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

for that hendrix wah use a Teese Picture Wah
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Quote by km-r
hes not that great IMO, but he sure did something to the history of music.

Sheesh - people just do not understand the technical ability of Hendrix.

Digitech also has this Hendrix pedal with some signature tones
my crybaby is comin tommorow or wed.
~gtrfrk

founder of the dunlop pick fan club

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

"Let the good times roll"
Quote by tongue untied
^ that sounds nothing like him with most guitar and amps

I've never used it, just heard about it.