So I was at my local Guitar Center the other day, playing basses, and I found this:

It was used Epiphone 5 string bass, that the previous owned had de-fretted and then, I guess, sold it to Guitar Center. I decided to play it, and it actually didn't feel too bad, I kind of liked it, despite the fact that it sounded like crap. Not bad, said I, and inquired about the price. $100. Holy shit, that's great, and, being the cheap Jew I am at heart, I bought it. Its great, and so I'm gonna modify it. I plan on puttting an EMG 5 string P&J set in it (alder body, ok or not?), and I'm gonna harden the neck with wood restoration stuff. As for the rest of the body, everything is stock, and the stock pickups are, infact, active. There are four knobs, as you can see, and its set up Gibson style (two tone, two volume). and the switch is for active on/off. Unfortunatly, all the wiring is digital (circuit board), which means if I want to re wire it, I'll have to put actual wire and stuff in first. It's a bolt on neck, and if the strings look old, well the B string is, but they're all flatwound, so, you know. Despite this, however, the wood adds a considerable amount of harmonics, and its uber nice, and will probably even be nicer if I put some decent pickups in. My question is, are there any more things I can do to it?

-Daniel White
Last edited by MastaBassist10 at Aug 20, 2006,
You didn't really tell us to much about the rest of the bass. How is the neck attatched to the body? Is it a set neck or a bolt on (I'm assuming its not a neck-thru)? Is that the stock bridge on there?

And the strings really look like they need to be changed. What year was the bass manufactured?

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
mmm, you could paint it, I love a white bass and gold hardware. And maybe you could get rid of the fretmarkers, I never liked how they look all the way to the side. well that´s IMO, maybe you like it that way.
You can torch it, then buy a real bass. Sorry I hate Gibson+Epiphone bass's. I like the idea of the EMG's I would put a Noiseless pickup on it. But i think their only active. Put gold Hardware on it then you could probbally sell it for about $1000 if the body's re-painted. Of course it sounds like you want to keep it so... I would just stick EMG's on it and re-paint it.
^Why don't you torch yourself?
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
And the strings really look like they need to be changed. What year was the bass manufactured?

The strings are flatwounds, so they generally look old. As for age, how would I find out?

Quote by watchingmefall
mmm, you could paint it, I love a white bass and gold hardware. And maybe you could get rid of the fretmarkers, I never liked how they look all the way to the side. well that´s IMO, maybe you like it that way.

Nah, I love that combo too, but I also love this burst here. And I'm definatly trying to get rid of all markings on the neck, maybe I'll post pics when I've done that part.
Looking good..

Hope it sounds as good as it looks.
Love, Peace 'N Rock to you all!
Sorry for my bad english, I'm danish
And speaking of finishing the neck, here is the neck, in all its semi-finished lacquered glory:

And if you seen any iimnperfections, I'm gonna fix them up as soon as the laqcuer is fully done drying.
What a great deal!

Maybe some new tuners? Strap locks? Besides that, and what was mentioned above, there's nothing else I can think of.
As for knobs... what about these-> http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Knobs/Dome_knobs/1/Custom_Dome_Knobs.html Ebony knobs. Yeah, and when I get the EMG's, I want to make them gold somehow, maybe gold paint, but I dunno if itill stick to EMG's or not....
Quote by yEsTeRdAy`
What a great deal!

Maybe some new tuners? Strap locks? Besides that, and what was mentioned above, there's nothing else I can think of.

Tuners definatly, not now though, no money after the pickups. And I use locking Planet Waves straps instead of locks.
That sucks (the money situation). But how do the Planet Waves straps work? Do they hook on to any guitar?
Quote by yEsTeRdAy`
That sucks (the money situation). But how do the Planet Waves straps work? Do they hook on to any guitar?

They work very nicely, here's a link--> http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Planet-Waves-134-Planet-Lock-Strap?sku=365215
Anyways, they aren't the most comfortable straps ever, but that's why I use a super wide comfortable strap for my 16lbs Vantage, and soon for my Les Paul.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Inky man, you never change flats.

They keep the funk in.

I really like that bright fretless sound, since I love Claypool so much

He restrings his fretless after every show, and I like that bright tone. So, if your strings feel or sound dead, then change them or clean them off.

I read somewhere in an older interview (Seas of Cheese era) that he strung his fretless 6 with new flatwounds before every show to get that "brighter, crisp sound." Maybe he changed them now. I'll dig up the article...

^Well, I dunno, but if I wanted a brighter, crisper sound, I would use roundwounds, and that's what it sounds like.