Hey guys. Ive noticed that alot of guitar players play with their thumb(in particular john frusciante), where as i have always been taught not to. well.........stuff what ive been taught, i want to to know how to do it with your thumb. For example, do you play with ur thumb over the top when doing bar chords? So basically, when do u use your thumb and when dont you.

Thx
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
well if it's anything like Steve Vai or Wes Montgomery, you just play everything w/ the thumb really (no pick); play it as if your thumb was your pick :shrugs:
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Greg Byers '01 Classical (Euro Spruce bent top)
Darren Hippner 8 String Classical (Engelmann Spruce)
Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
o sorry, i didnt explain it right, i meant using your thumb with your left hand (if u r right handed)
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
If you mean with your fretting hand then players like Fruciante and Hendrix use it with the bass notes chords so they can have more intricate chords with the use of their index finger. Also it can be used if you have a walking bass line sort of thing, jazz uses this a lot. Hope that helps, if i can think of anything else i'll post it. Buh Bye now -- Diateo

Try checking out "The Wind Cries Mary" by Jimi Hendrix that should show that it would be worth using it for barre chords.
Ibanez S520
Yamaha Pacifica 112 with JB.Jr Neck pickup
Ibanez Custom Blazer
Peavey Bandit 112, Marshall Valvestate 20
Marshall Jackhammer, Zoom 505 effects, Boss ME-50
Boss Pw 10 V Wah
Dunlop 1.5mm Picks, D'addario standard Strings
Last edited by Diateo at Aug 20, 2006,
First of all ill just point out that to use your thumb and make it sound good you have to be a decent player. I wouldn't bother using it for barr chords, you would just use your finger. I find the best time for using your thumb is when your playing a solo, I dont like it for shred but for blues or something it is nice. Now onto the technique (you should probably know your scales for this). So say your soloing in the F sharp minor pentatonic box. Thumb the notes on the low E and A string while using your other fingers to play some licks. I find its best to start on fret 14 on E (since its F sharp minor) and from there try make a melody while soloing. Its also easier if you can finger pick.
Okay heres how it is. There are NO RULES as to how you play a guitar. If you want to use your thumb, then bloody hell use it. Use it how it will suit YOU best. I have big hands, so I like to use my thumb over the top occasionally.
Quote by Sloofus
Okay heres how it is. There are NO RULES as to how you play a guitar. If you want to use your thumb, then bloody hell use it. Use it how it will suit YOU best. I have big hands, so I like to use my thumb over the top occasionally.

word.

there are no rules, only guidelines. not allowed to use your thumb?
tell that to richie havens.

I have big hands so I use my thumb a lot when muting the bottom strings and sometimes for fretting notes on the sixth string (kinda like john mayer, only I don't do it nearly as often).
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
^^

Look how big is ****ing thumb is. Wow
Don't Sacrifice a Tree for the whole forest

Quote by jsxxx
just stroke up and down and experiment...find what feels right.
E|x
B|5
G|6
D|7
A|x
E|5

E|x
B|6
G|5
D|7
A|x
E|5

E|7
B|5
G|0
D|5
A|x
E|5

chords like that are easier to play with the thumb.
Yea dude just do what feels comfortable but i know Frusciante uses it so he can have more freedom and do alot of technical stuff in his rythem ex. Under the Bridge where he plays E x yea use your thumb on the 11's. Its just so you can play lead and rythem
A 11 and lead at the same time.
D 11
G 9
B 9
e x