Hi, I'm new to the forums, I use this site all the time for tabs.

Anyways, straight to the point. I'm interested in buying the Vintage Metal Axxe Wraith, however, I noticed it comes with a Floyd Rose double locking tremelo. I'm self taught and have never came across these and have been playing for a year. So I was wondering if these are too much up-keep for me novice like me. Or are they easier than they've been made out as.

I have been told by a friend not to tune it the standard way, you must alternate between 6,1,5,2 etc because of the floating bridge.

So is this worth me buying into or should I avoid it?
Floyd Roses are the biggest bastards to tune in my opinion,

Get a guitar with a bigsby, they might not have the tonal range of a floyd,

but less fuss is needed with them.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
if you dont have alot of patience stay away from them. if you have **** loads of patience then start researching about them and how to set them up. also they can be a pain in the ass the first time you set it up but it gets easier once you learn shortcuts
here is how to tune a floyd rose

Tuning Floyd Rose:
1) Loosen the locking nut
2) Set your fine tuners to middle position
3) Tune up your guitar to standard or whichever tunings u wish. "Cross-tuning" between strings if you want easier. Tune the low E string> A string> low E string again> D string> low E string>A string... and so forth. Keep repeating for all strings. To make it more easier, tune the low E generally a bit sharper or about half step sharper, so that you might not have to repeat crossing the strings again and again.
4) If the floating bridge comes out, loosen the tunings and then tighten the springs in the tremolo cavity at the back, if the bridge sinks, then vice-versa, until the bridge is parallel to the body.
5) Be patient
6) If you're happy with your tunings and your bridge is well centered, lock in the nut
7) Tune again using the fine tuners

Also some tips - You might want to have at least 3 springs and after following the tuning method above, tighten the 2 claw's screw for about 1/8th or 1/4th more. This is to prevent your floating bridge from getting stuck to the knife edges on the posts (action studs) after you bend notes. You can ignore this if your bridge/trem is reliable (e.g. Edge Pro, Edge, ZR, Lo-Pro Edge, Original Floyd Rose, Licenced Floyd Rose by Kahler/Schaller/Gotoh). But still you may face this problem even if your bridge is very good.

Stretch the strings first if they're new

More info on tuning floyd roses - http://www.floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html
Info on changing strings - http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/features/steal_this_video_re-stringing_guitar.html
Picture guide on how to perform the #4 step mentioned above - http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/floydrosetremolo.htm
http://www.jemsite.com/tech/1setup.htm#step1

Yes it's a lot of work
i got a floyd rose after having played for 5 months. It takes a bit of time to tune it but if you have a chromatic tuner your all set. Once oyu learn how to set the springs in the back its fine, It never goes outta tune, the whammy is wicked, and all around im lovin' it!
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
just make sure you seriously research every aspect of the trem, tuning, string changing, intonation and making sure the trem is parallell to the body......once you understand all them then its worth considering a floyd a lot more seriously. Note: if you like to play around with tunings, then a floyd may not be for you......you have to do a few things to reset the tension when the tuning is changed.
When I first got a guitar with a Floyd, I just asked the dude who was selling me it to show me how to work it and set it up and such, I'm sure someone will help you out with it if you buy it from a store.
As I see the ignorance of humanity engulfing reason and sanity like a wave of perpetual defeat and misery I ask myself, when the hell is everyone going to shut up and actually think?
As I see the ignorance of humanity engulfing reason and sanity like a wave of perpetual defeat and misery I ask myself, when the hell is everyone going to shut up and actually think?
I have a question. can you adjust the bridge making it parallel by moving the springs without unlocking the nut?
Quote by spike101
I have a question. can you adjust the bridge making it parallel by moving the springs without unlocking the nut?

yea you just tighten or loosen the springs under the backplate of the guitar
Oh ok because my bridge sinks slightly but my guitar stays preety much in tune, does it matter too much?
make sure you're actually gonna get your use out of a floyd. if you're planning on doing one song with a dive bomb, is it really worth it? and if the guitar you want happens to have one (like you're not getting the guitar for a floyd) i'd find a different guitar.
i lost my virginity. can i have yours?

Member #18 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join

One nation, under a fictitious almighty power
as a general rule of thumb dont buy lower end guitars with licensed floyds because the trems are always horrible.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
yea you just tighten or loosen the springs under the backplate of the guitar

sorry to rain in on your parade but once you loosen/tighten the spring claw most likely your going to be out of tune and therefore it is much easier to adjust with the nut unlocked then lock it after your strings are fully stretched and your ready for the final adjustment
^yea i know it will be out of tune but the threadstarter purely asked weather or not you can adjust how the bridge sits paralell without undoing the locking nut
yeh but then it becomes more of a pain in the ass which means 1 more person who will complain about how hard the floyd rose bridge is to set up its just easy just read a couple of websites and your pretty much good to go