Hey,

I've just been pointed into the direction of a new pickup maker: gemini. I always hear people saying "I want rajun cajun death metal sounds and a fender clean tone from one pickup what can I do?" Gemini is the answer... (Or so it appears I've yet to try these bad boys out!)

They make a range of pickups from a basic PAF style to their flagship humbuckers with many modes. Lets take a look at the Chameleon, this beast has 6 different options (you heard right SIX different taps!) Ranging from a high output 11.5k to a 5.5k strat-ish single coil sound! I've been told that their split pickups are slightly different than your average splits and sound more realistic but I can't confirm this till I lay my hands on one!

They've also got a couple of p90s and single coils availible too but I've heard absolutely nothing about them. The average humbucker costs around £80 uncovered and a multimode (like the chameleon) costs £150. The p90s go for £60. THe strats go fr £45.

As you can see the prices are in pounds because this is another Brittish company (well Welsh but you can't hold it against them )

Link: http://www.geminipickups.co.uk/

Enjoy!

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
I'm ordering the chameleons on Thursday when I get paid!
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
I'm ordering the chameleons on Thursday when I get paid!

Awesome, care to keep us informed?

I might throw down some dough for a chameleon for my Kramer (I'm not digging the suhr anymore. )

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Lewis i dont understand the 5 modes thing if you understand could you explain it to me? Thx
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Well they've the coolest names of any pickup company I'll give them that. Pegasus? Vampire? Basilisk? Werewolf? I'd nearly buy them on the strength of the names

Unfortunately though none seem to be that high output and i'm a terrible gain whore
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by Syn Harvest
Lewis i dont understand the 5 modes thing if you understand could you explain it to me? Thx

There are taps in the windings... Say you took a 13k pickup, you could add taps at 11k, 9k and 7k to get you 4 different pickup sounds at the flick of a switch.

When you add into account that they can be split as well; with this fictitious humbucker you could get 8 different sounds (A high output humbucker, a medium high output hb, a medium low hb, a low hb, a high output single, a mid high sc, a mid low sc and a low output single.)

ah i see but normally it would run at 13k. i think i got it to bad im in america
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
i'm guessing someone bought the new issue of guitar buyer, eh, lewis? (i already checked them out... )

after checking out the mango amps site, here's another site that might be worth a look: www.shedpickups.co.uk

haven't tried them (ditto the gemini ones), but they may be worth a look, if you're in the UK.

anyway, back to the gemini ones. this is purely speculation but:

(a) who'll use all those modes? I know I start to get confused when a push-pull or push push starts to enter proceedings, lol.

(b) i'm guessing that with the split/tapped sounds being better, the actual humbucker ones mightn't be as good?

(c) I assume all those taps won't sound as good as a pickup aimed at that tone (i.e. the tapped pickup at, say, 6K for a vintage tone, won't sound as good as a pickup solely aimed at the 6K vintage tone).

Again, speculation. Could be wrong. I just don't see the need for all those tones from one pickup- 9 times out of 10, when you increase the versatility, the quality of the main tone you want suffers...

also, those pickups give you less excuse for GAS...

But, like Lewis, I'd be most interested in hearing what they're like.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'm guessing someone bought the new issue of guitar buyer, eh, lewis?

Nein, I don't read any rags (unless I'm bored at the trainstation in which case I'll read them in smiths when waiting for my train. )

I just got referred to them by a friend and thought I'd better check them out. I like the companies ethics, they don't seem to be into the whole "vintage is king" and they don't buy into some of the BS that's floating around, they get the tones they want through design.

I wish they wouldn't use a hughes and kettner amp for the clips though.. Clips never sway it one way or the other for me, but I can imagine them losing sales from the god damned awful clips on that site.

Quote by Dave_Mc
(b) i'm guessing that with the split/tapped sounds being better, the actual humbucker ones mightn't be as good?

(c) Again, speculation. Could be wrong. I just don't see the need for all those tones from one pickup- 9 times out of 10, when you increase the versatility, the quality of the main tone you want suffers...

(b) Apparently they don't really "split" the coils, they cut loads of the windings out of one of them and make a really assymetric humbucker. To me this sounds like a good idea but I'll reserve judgement..

(c) Says the guy using an ENGL with 24035465702092465.5 channels?

^ aye, I think they said their tones were tapped not split. I only skimmed the site, though.

and my engl is the exception that proves the rule, obviously. but an amp aimed at one tone may do that tone better, is what I'm saying...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?