my jackson has this JT580LP trem. it's a licenced version of the OFR low profile trem i think and i've heard it's a direct swap. it's still working fine after 3 months and i hope it'll do at least a year more since i don't (ab)use it very much. anyway, i know that it'll die eventually and i'll need to replace it.
so what are my options except the OFR pro? i'd prefer something that wouldn't require additional routing. i could probably buy another jackson trem for cheap but i want something that will work for a long time...
probably none. and if you do buy another jackson trem then thats just gay cause your paying for something that wants to die.
Even if an OFR needs some more routing to fit, you're gonna need it, Jackson tremolos are s***, try to see if a Schaller can fit, theyre nice trems too
don't get me wrong, i said that i COULD but DON'T WANT to buy another jackson trem...
yea, i was thinking about schaller, i heard they're pretty good and not as expensive as OFR. what's the difference between usual floyd rose type trems and low profile ones?
ummmm the profile of its lower so the whale tail isnt sitting up so high and is more back i think
I would also suggest you looking into Gotoh's, its not as expensive as an OFR or Schaller but it works just like one.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by azn_guitarist25
ummmm the profile of its lower so the whale tail isnt sitting up so high and is more back i think

so is it possible to fit a non low-profile trem in a guitar routed for a low-profile trem?
ok, thanks guys, i'll check out schaller and gotoh trems (besides OFR), and try to find one that'll fit my guitar...
i'd appreciate if someone who has some experience with these trems, would tell me if there are any differences in feel and quality between them...
Quote by 666_Belial
so is it possible to fit a non low-profile trem in a guitar routed for a low-profile trem?

Possible? yes,

but im not sure whether the low-profile routing would be enough for the normal trem to be able to dive up properly coz a normal OFR would have the long string lockers as opposed to smaller string lockers in the low-profile version. Also, low-profile such as the Floyd Rose pro has narrower string spacing than the OFR so it depends.

from the floyd rose site:
OFR routing template - http://www.floydrose.com/pdf/Floyd%20Rose%20Original_(route%20pattern,%20top%20view).pdf
FR Pro routing template - http://www.floydrose.com/pdf/Floyd%20Rose%20Pro%20tremolo%20routing%20templates%20(top%20view).pdf

your best bet is to try and roughly measure your routing.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
^^thanks!
do you know where i can find dimensions/routing templates for schallers? i've tried but couldn't find it...
Last edited by 666_Belial at Aug 20, 2006,
AFAIK Schallers and Gotoh's LFR have the same routing as the OFR, but i'll try and get one if i can find it.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
ok... i guess i'd need the low profile versions since the stock jackson bridge is low profile one.
or you could just take a ruler and measure your trem cavity from the above view, see whether it have enough clearance for the string lockers for an OFR/similar. I've heard some rumours about the FR Pro being bad but i dunno for sure, not many ppl use it, they prefer the OFR.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
^^i've measured it from above view and it's exactly as the routing for an OFR.
i hope it'll fit...
Ok, you're clear to go for an OFR/similar by "your" measurement, dont go blaming me if it cant be fitted

If i were you, i would get a new trem only if the older one failed completely and beyond repair. In this case, it'd most likely but i'd still use it till its broken. But if you insist on changing it then you're welcome to do so. You'd need to adjust your action and re-intonate afterwards.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
well, this one is still good, holds tune well, so i won't change it yet. even if i'd want to, i couldn't, i don't have the money for it at the moment... but it'll wear out sooner or later so i'm gonna have to replace it either with another crappy one or with a decent one. that's why i asked, i want to be prepared for the day it craps out...
anyway, thanks for your help.
Schaller routes i think are smaller than OFR routes but im not too sure on that it certainly does look smaller comparing Caparison to guitars with OFR's