Right, I've decided that I need a nice big gig amp. I play a bit of everything apart from the annoying pop-punky stuff, so I'll want quite a nice versatile one. Anything over 100 watts would be good, I'm looking at an amp under 250 pounds, or maybe 350 pounds if I get extra. I'm not sure whether to got for a stack or a combo amp. If it's a stack, I want a Marshall stack. Any suggestions on what to get? Thanks.
Back and sexier than ever

Co-founder and #1 member of The Pick-Eater's club. PM me to join.
n00baid member - PM draken to join
Price range, what kind of venues are you playing in terms of the wattage.
Quote by MastaBassist10
Run around the city jacking off in random places... and when you cum, jump out at people and yell "SURPRISE!" Then walk away calmly as if nothing had happened. That's what I would do, anyway.

Quote by Unofficial
Jackusaureles, You're now my favorite UGer.
I got a half-stack and they're such an arse to lug around. Is it possible to get a 100w Marshall that isn't an MG for that price band? Broaden your mind...
Quote by sprkidjar
i'll give you a rimjob.

Ibanez RGT 42 DX FM TLF
Crate GT1200 Half-stack
Boss GT8
orangeacid.net

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
I'm not sure about venues, I'm still in school, so they'd only be school gigs and stuff, mayube local talent shows. Price range - anything up to £250 or maybe £350

um whatever that ø thing is, translate that into $.
Quote by MastaBassist10
Run around the city jacking off in random places... and when you cum, jump out at people and yell "SURPRISE!" Then walk away calmly as if nothing had happened. That's what I would do, anyway.

Quote by Unofficial
Jackusaureles, You're now my favorite UGer.
^I need a big amp. That thing is pounds, by the way, i'm not good with converting. I'll google it. It's 470 dollars for 250 pounds and 658 dollars 350.

You could get a 30 watt valve amp which would suit you fine for your needs. You can pick up a Laney VC30 for £300 which is a solid amp.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Try one of the Marshall Valvestate amps. They got amps that are 100 and 150 watts. Besides, it's a hybrid amp, so it's part tube, which makes it sound so much better than the MG crap that's out there. Marshall's are loud as hell and sound great, imo. I'm not sure what the price would be there, though.

Marshall 8240 Valvestate combo from 1986
Crate X15R
Dunlop Crybaby
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Try one of the Marshall Valvestate amps. They got amps that are 100 and 150 watts. Besides, it's a hybrid amp, so it's part tube, which makes it sound so much better than the MG crap that's out there. Marshall's are loud as hell and sound great, imo. I'm not sure what the price would be there, though.

Someone didn't read the 'hybrid is nothing more than a sales buzzword' thread
Quote by sprkidjar
i'll give you a rimjob.

Ibanez RGT 42 DX FM TLF
Crate GT1200 Half-stack
Boss GT8
orangeacid.net

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Why only a Marshall Halfstack? They make absolutely horrible stacks in that price range. Think about tone, not looks

And look at some good tube combos, look at some Laneys maybe, there's also the Peavey Valveking and maybe a Peavey Classic 30 too
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
No Marshall halfstacks for you.

Look for either a used Marshall DSL401, a used Marshall JCM900 combo, a used Fender valve amp, a Laney VC or LC30, but it all depends on what sounds you're looking for.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Why do you need a loud amp? You should know that wattage isnt a big factor as far as volume goes. My 2x12" Marshall JCM900 is just as loud as my Mesa halfstack. And my Mesa is 150watts tube.

Listen man, you dont NEED a huge "loud" amp. And youre not going to get a good Marshall half/full stack with that price range. Youre not going to a really nice amp at all in that price range to be honest.

get over the look factor. Its all about tone anyways.
^Right on.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P
No Marshall halfstacks for you.

Look for either a used Marshall DSL401, a used Marshall JCM900 combo, a used Fender valve amp, a Laney VC or LC30, but it all depends on what sounds you're looking for.

The man Speaks TROOF
Quote by jajp001
Right, I've decided that I need a nice big gig amp. I play a bit of everything apart from the annoying pop-punky stuff, so I'll want quite a nice versatile one. Anything over 100 watts would be good, I'm looking at an amp under 250 pounds, or maybe 350 pounds if I get extra. I'm not sure whether to got for a stack or a combo amp. If it's a stack, I want a Marshall stack. Any suggestions on what to get? Thanks.

if you want a marshall stack you sure as hell arnt getting it for 250 pounds.
Quote by jackusaureles
um whatever that ø thing is, translate that into $.

Do you have the words "ignorant american" tattoed on your forehead?

In the golden age of the internet, these things are very easy to do yourself,

also at the moment -one pound = 1.81 USD

anyway, threadstarter. . .

Don't go for marshall, all the marshall amps in your pricerange suck, even the valvestates (yes, I've tried them all). Also, getting a halfstack is pointless (unless you have a small willie) as you get less amp for the money, I would recommend a used vavle amp, I like my deville but that might be a tad expensive. . .

I know crate makes something, a V50? I've tried that and liked it and it was around 600 USD. . .
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
What kurdtkobaign said.

Why do you need anything over 100W!!! I've got a 50/50 Mesa Power Amp and I've never played it above 5 even outside!! Most pub gigs its usually set to 2-3.

Go for the tone, if you ever need to play that loud your more than likely going to be running through a PA anyway.

I suggest for that money you look for stuff secondhand.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
My 2x12" Marshall JCM900 is just as loud as my Mesa halfstack. And my Mesa is 150watts tube.

not arguing, since what you said is dead on, but wow that JCM must be loud! The Mesa amps are some of the loudest amps I've ever used. I could swear my 85W Mark is louder than most of the 100W+ halfstacks I've played from other amp makers, they just seem "extra" loud to me for some reason.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by rockers73
My Mesa is stupid loud as well Erock.

I can imagine, those 50/50's are some very nice poweramps. I personally feel Mesa make some of the best poweramps available. What kind of preamp are you using with it?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Anything over 100 watts would be good

And unnecessary, because wattage doesn't measure volume.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
My main pre amp is 3 Tube Modded Ada MP1 valve preamp.

But I have a Boss GX700 connected to that using the 4 Cable method.

I then go from the ADA into a Rocktron XPression for post preamp effects and then into the Mesa 50/50.
Quote by rockers73
My main pre amp is 3 Tube Modded Ada MP1 valve preamp.

But I have a Boss GX700 connected to that using the 4 Cable method.

I then go from the ADA into a Rocktron XPression for post preamp effects and then into the Mesa 50/50.

very cool setup, it must sound pretty badass.
amp clips
amp vids
Its pretty good but very complicated because of all the options you have.
I'm still in the process of putting all my tones together. Its a long job.