Page 1 of 2
i have a guitar scales book ("incredible scale finder"), and i'm trying to write a black/death metal song, but i dont know what scales to use. it says that locrian scales are "rarely used outside of jazz and heavy metal", but i tried some of them, and they sounded like crap. i'm just wondering what key and what mode scale i should base my song on.
help me! thanks.
Minor keys. And besides, it's not what scales you use, it's the choice of notes that makes a song good or bad. And if you take influence from MCR and a7x, then it's obvious why it sounds awful
I have the same problem. I recently learned the G Ionian and the A Dorian scale out of Guitar World, and it's SO hard to make a solo. It's not the wide stretches, or the moving of frets so much, it's that it ALL sounds too bluesy. I also don't have an amp to use right now, so I don't know how it sounds distorted, but still you can STILL hear what the solo sounds like pretty well.

It just bugs me.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
I just bought the "incredible Scale Finder" book yesterday! I've been trying to find scales that sound "different". Minors are probably the best choice.
Quote by Bilzzard_of_Ozz
And if you take influence from MCR and a7x, then it's obvious why it sounds awful

i dont, this is just my email address i got a long time ago (used to be obsessed with mcr and a7x, not at all anymore), but i wanna make stuff like children of bodom.
If you want to do stuff like Children of Bodom you'll need to learn alot, Alexi Laiho is very talented in both classical and typical guitaring.
*shrugs* I don't know...
Quote by mcra7xra
i dont, this is just my email address i got a long time ago (used to be obsessed with mcr and a7x, not at all anymore), but i wanna make stuff like children of bodom.

CoB = Yngwie

Yngwie = Harmonic minor

Problem solved
Depends on what sound your going for. If you want something like Necrophagist, abuse the Harmonic Minor until your strings cry for no more. I myself use the Natural Minor alot. Phygrian and Locrian modes sound pretty good, the Byzantine scale sounds pretty sweet, and Death Metal uses alot of chromatics as stated earlier. The trick behind any of these are knowing where to use them.
I use F# alot myself, but it all depends on what mood your trying to convey. Mess around in all the keys until you got what you want. That's how I do it, anyway.
Quote by mcra7xra
what'd be a good key that'd sound good?

Again, it's about what notes you play that makes you sound good, if there were specific scales that automatically made you sound good then everybody would use them.
Quote by Bilzzard_of_Ozz
Again, it's about what notes you play that makes you sound good, if there were specific scales that automatically made you sound good then everybody would use them.

but i mean, like, which key just sounds good in metal, cuz i've done some scales and they suck if you try to make anything like metal at all.
I usually use the Phrygian mode, minor scale or harmonic minor scale. You can also use some exotic scales like the Spanish phrygian which is a phrygian scale with an Augmented 3rd/Diminished 4th
Quote by unfathomable_bo
Do you want to write the solo, or do you want us to write the solo?

Preferably, he would like us to write the whole song, write the solo AND do it in a key we made up ourselves, namely the key that sounds good in every situation and regardless of note-choice.

EDIT: And he'd like it very much if we could record it for him under his name too.
Last edited by Bilzzard_of_Ozz at Aug 20, 2006,
Quote by unfathomable_bo
Do you want to write the solo, or do you want us to write the solo?

You can write me a solo if you want...
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
Old COB = Harmonic Minor.

Alexi really doesn't use it too much anymore.

Just mess around in Aeolian for a while till you get the hang of it. Don't be afraid to go slow at first. Most people's problem is they want to play as fast as possible at first and it causes them to lack emotion and be sloppy. However, for black/death songs you'll eventually want to stray from typical Aeolian and throw some chromatics in there. Aeolian just makes a good scale for some basic ideas on where to start.
Metal Matt reserves the right to be a hypocrite whenever he damn well pleases
Quote by mcra7xra
what'd be a good key that'd sound good?

D minor is the saddest, if you want sad songs.

[/spinaltap]
Go to www.jguitar.com and find a scale called Diminished Dominant and pcik your root note. I use it and it's great.
Hail Satan

Gear:
Yamaha RGX220
Peavey 5150
Trohak Cabinet (w/ Eminence speakers)
Mesa/Boogie 2x12 Roadster
Marshall Mg15
aeolian and phrygian with the added tritone randomly is great for death metal, black metal is more melodic and its harder to sneak in chromatics, some good scales for death metal are harmonic minor, phrygian/phrygian dominant, and again aeolian
Dave Mustaine: "I like jazz, but I could never play it. You just sit there with a guitar the size of a Chevy on your chest, wearing a stupid hat, playing the same solo for an hour. "
Kids and their scales these days. Back in my day, we just wrote with whatever notes fit the occassion (while walking uphill both ways to see Tygers of Pan Tang).
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
Quote by Scourge441
D minor is the saddest, if you want sad songs.

[/spinaltap]

Yeah, if you're going to use D minor, you should check out Mozart and Bach.. You'll end up writing a Mach piece.

Possible song title?
Lick my love pump
As a result of listing <><'s reports I was banned.

Quote by God Book
#2. Banned by theguitarist (11/03/2006) - X D

Promise to shorten your sig and you'll be unbanned. This is what you get, lol.

HA!
Quote by Metal Matt
Old COB = Harmonic Minor.

Alexi really doesn't use it too much anymore.

Just mess around in Aeolian for a while till you get the hang of it. Don't be afraid to go slow at first. Most people's problem is they want to play as fast as possible at first and it causes them to lack emotion and be sloppy. However, for black/death songs you'll eventually want to stray from typical Aeolian and throw some chromatics in there. Aeolian just makes a good scale for some basic ideas on where to start.

ok... cool.
I prefer the Phrygian and the Natural/Harmonic minors, but I tend to stray from shredding all the time. I enjoy playing things that sound very melodic, and build tension.
i know i am about to get flammed for this..but slayer's solos are ridiculous it sounds as though they are just picking random notes and hopeing for the best(angel of death) it is as though they avoid all scales
Last edited by SwantonV1 at Aug 21, 2006,
I don't know why'd you'd get flamed for that,

slayers solos are definately not something to be proud of.
They use some scales, like phrygian mode and chromatics, but not much else.
slayers solos sound like retarded bumblebees.
This is what you get.
This is what you get.
This what you get when you mess with us.
i have always hated slayer solos and generally disliked king and hanneman as lead guitarists, i don't give a **** if the angel of death solo is 24 nps or watver, its still sounds like crap and even though im a big slayer fan im not afraid to say that i could probably make solos better than the ones on most slayer songs
Dave Mustaine: "I like jazz, but I could never play it. You just sit there with a guitar the size of a Chevy on your chest, wearing a stupid hat, playing the same solo for an hour. "
Quote by Spynal
Kids and their scales these days. Back in my day, we just wrote with whatever notes fit the occassion (while walking uphill both ways to see Tygers of Pan Tang).

This dude gets it. Play from the heart, not from the head.

+1. I don't know a scale from a hooker on a corner. I just write stuff that I think sounds good. To hell with Phrygian and Natural Minors and such.
Don't get me wrong, I know my scales... I was a composition major for two years. I just know that scales are nothing more than a guideline and will only lead to stagnation.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................if you actually go this far, email me for a prize.
Page 1 of 2