What is the advantage to having a head unit/cab ... stack... vs. just a combo amp? Other than volume / power, is there anything? Obviously I'm new, not to playing, but to technology. I've always used friends' equipment so I don't know anything.

Do I need a half stack if I'm not playing large venues?
You never "need" a half stack, really. They move more air than combos, but they don't really produce an appreciable amount of volume greater than that of a combo. If you want one, that's cool. A head/speaker box is easier to change the tone of since you can just switch speaker boxes. Combos are more portable, generally. You won't need a van/truck to bring it places with you. But in the end its just personal preference.
Hi, I'm Peter
To me, if you transport your gear often, a stack is easier to move around. The cabs are often lighter than some tube amp combos and have wheels. Also, you have speaker options with a stack. If you buy a combo, you either stick with what speakers come with it or replace them.
no you can get by easily on a combo amp. halfstacks are just for asthetic appeal basically unless your playing un miced large venues but even in large venues they have PAs and can mic a combo amp.

Also usually the combo is lighter and hence easier to move. though sometimes you get things like a 5150 combo that weighs like 120 lbs which is like 30 lbs heavier than a 5150 cab. so really its up to you if you want to carry around a head and a cab and have the money for a good one not a cheap soloid state halfstack then get a good tube halfstack if not then get a good tube combo. its all up to what you want.

What kind of Music do you play and what gear were you looking at?
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
A good bit of your tone comes from the cab dimensions, just having a separate cab will sound different than a combo with the same speaker set-up. Also a 2x12 cab and head will be easier to move than a 2x12 combo, though you might need to take an extra trip.

Having a cab and head combo offers more versatility and variation in speaker combos. The Bogner uberkab is one of the better sounding cabs out there because of its demensions and speaker mix.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
I am looking at a used

"MARSHALL HALF STACK JCM 2000-4X12 CAB LIKE NEW" as it was listed online.

The seller has agreed to sell it for $1400. I'm just not sure if that is a good price or not?

I play mostly classic rock/metal but by metal I mean more of a Sabbath sound than anything new. My main influences are Zeppelin, OLD ZZ Top, Sabbath, Rage.
Well it depends. I traded my combo for a stack (with 212 cabinet, i reccomend 212 cabs instead of 412 cabs, beacouse i had a nice cab at band practise i used so i jsut needed to bring the head.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by joeytroupe
I am looking at a used

The seller has agreed to sell it for $1400. I'm just not sure if that is a good price or not?

I play mostly classic rock/metal but by metal I mean more of a Sabbath sound than anything new. My main influences are Zeppelin, OLD ZZ Top, Sabbath, Rage.

it sounds more like you need a JCM 800 other than a DSL as a DSL is a Modern voiced amp a 800 is a classic voiced amp which is more your style
Excuse my dumbness.

But so you guys are saying I want a JCM 800/900 as opposed to a JCM 2000?

I don't know the difference between any of these.
The 800 is the classic sounding one. (well actually that would be a Plexi, but nevermind them), the 900 is a little more modern sounding, while the 2000 is even more modern sounding.
Quote by El Codyo
The 800 is the classic sounding one. (well actually that would be a Plexi, but nevermind them), the 900 is a little more modern sounding, while the 2000 is even more modern sounding.

exactly so for classic tones your best bet is a 800
Okay,

So it has become clear that the JCM 800 is more suited to me than the JCM 2000.

Now, do I want a combo or a JCM 800 head unit.. and if I get the head unit... what cab do I want... AND how much can I expect to spend?
Quote by joeytroupe
Okay,

So it has become clear that the JCM 800 is more suited to me than the JCM 2000.

Now, do I want a combo or a JCM 800 head unit.. and if I get the head unit... what cab do I want... AND how much can I expect to spend?

The 800's only really shine when they are pushed, so like I said before, get either a combo, or the HS with an attenuator.
An attenuator sucks power from the amp so you can crank the amp and get good poweramp saturation without deafaning anyone in a ten-mile radius.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
How much is an attenuator? Can you direct me toward one?

If I buy a stack, will I need one of these to practice in my house?
Take your pick. But keep in mind that the MASS models have a more natural response.

Not necessarily. The idea behind attenators is you crank your amp to get really good tone, but dial it back with the attenuator so a tolorable level. If the tone isn't that important to you, than no you don'tt
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Last edited by Wayward_Son at Aug 20, 2006,
I used to gig with 4 Boogie 4x12 cabs on pretty large stages. Really, the big thing for me was the massive amount of air being moved by 16 12 inch speakers, and the resonance of the cabs.

I however had people who set it up and transported my rig for me so I did not have to worry about the hassels of moving such a monster rig. I used those old steel grilled Boogie cabs with 2 EV and 2 Celestian each, and they weigh a feakin ton.

In more recent times, I play much smaller venues and have gradually gone from multiple 4x12's to a half stack, now al the way down to a 2x12 combo.

The difference for me that makes me want to go back to the half stack is again, resonance. 4x12 cabs resonante in a certain way that you simply cannot find in a 2x12 combo. I recently had a Legacy 2x12, and it sounds much different than a Legacy headthrough a 4x12 cab. Also, most tube combo amps weigh more than the typical (Marshall, Peavey, Carvin, newer Boogie, etc...) 4x12 cab.

Last but not least, when loading into a gig, it is real easy to find someone to grab a handle on the 4x12, but ya look like a pussy saying "hey man can ya help me with this combo amp?". Likewise, you can feel a lot more comfortable leaving a cabinet in a rehearsal space and taking your head home than you would leaving the whole rig.
^^ True. My widebody Mark IV combo weighs close to 90 lbs. That's why I love casters
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by joeytroupe
I am looking at a used

1400 jesus christ. thats only a couple hundred less than a brand new one. go to www.rig-talk.com look at thier classified section they have people selling JCM 2000 TSL 100's for 8-900 USD

1400 is insanely overpriced. im getting a used VHT 100/UL for 1300 and its only 4 months old

so go to the site above and check it out.
Last edited by rocknrollgod at Aug 20, 2006,
Rocknrollgod,

Is that overpriced for the entire half stack? It includes the head and cab... 1400 is too much?