no, this isn't a "which pickup" thread, this is a "how do pickups work" thread, yes i did a search and can't find anything on exactly what makes a pickup sound different from another one...so can someone help me out here?
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
.....If Fender DID buy out Jackson, Im quitting guitar and music. Would hate to see the same model of a jackson, the Jackocaster, sold every year with little or no change.
There are many factors which affect a pickups tone, here are the basic ones:

-Wire Guage/number of winds per coil
Most pickups use AWG42, which is, like, 0.06mm. The more wire you have on a coil, the more output you get, BUT due to resistance, the tone becomes darker.

-Magnet type
THe type of magnet affects the overall voice. Alnico II magnets provide a warm tone with lots of midrange, like Gibson humbuckers. Alnico V's are brighter, like Strat single coils. Ceramic magnets have a more extreme voice. They often don't sound very good clean, but are great for distortion, like Dimarzio Evolutions.

-Magnet strength and polarity
The stronger your magnet, the brighter your tone. YOu need strong magnets to match overwound coils. The polarity affects the tone, too, but I'm not sure how.
are all of those factors in active and passive pickups?
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
.....If Fender DID buy out Jackson, Im quitting guitar and music. Would hate to see the same model of a jackson, the Jackocaster, sold every year with little or no change.