At the moment I play a Marshal mg 250 with a Silverdragon and a Gibson Flying V. My style of music is Lamb of god. Testament, i like a lot of that metalcore stuff also. I asked here long ago and I was told the Peavy XXX is great. Is it a type of amp that i dont even need a pedal to play those type of styles?

My other question is.

I am currently working my ass of for a car. I want to buy a Peavy triple XXX half stack but my band practicly just began playing at shows. So im going for the 40 watt combo. Im not sure if this is enough watts. I currently play 100 wats of crap but i dont know if 40 is enough for practice(shows ill just mic it). the question is what half stack do you think i should get? My price range is below 1500. I might as well just wait for the half stack if it will be like 1500 thou.

-Dreo
i've played the stack and i can't get the gain past 3 without it feeding back...i need my mt-2 to make it sound great...but when i DO use this, it sounds totally awesome
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
.....If Fender DID buy out Jackson, Im quitting guitar and music. Would hate to see the same model of a jackson, the Jackocaster, sold every year with little or no change.
The XXX is tube, 40watts tube should be loud enough to gig with
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by dimebag_love
i've played the stack and i can't get the gain past 3 without it feeding back...i need my mt-2 to make it sound great...but when i DO use this, it sounds totally awesome

You put a crap pedal in front of a mean amp????
Quote by dimebag_love

Metal Zones blow.
40 watts tube is plenty enough for practice, yeah. combo's probably a better idea anyway
1995 MIM Fender Strat
Breedlove AD25/SM Acoustic
Chandler Les Paul w/Duncan Alnico II-Pro & Pearly Gates
Little Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Crybaby
Vox AD50VT

Quote by CheeseMuffin909
Zakk Wylde.
He's like Elton John but with a guitar, more stylish clothes, and not gay.
Don't listen to dimebag. He had an ongoing thread series praising MGs, and at the same time, bashing JCM800s.

-.-

And he says his metal zone gives him killer tone. I just don't get him. O.o
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Quote by sg-rocker173
Don't listen to dimebag. He had an ongoing thread series praising MGs, and at the same time, bashing JCM800s.

-.-

And he says his metal zone gives him killer tone. I just don't get him. O.o

He likes Zakk Wylde... On the Marshall website Zakk says that MGs are awesome... Wonder how much he got paid for that
thank you GNR4EVER . But I will also be using this amp for shows. would that be enough?

-Dreo
I'd imagine so, it would really depend on how big the shows were. Since it's a tube amp it will be louder than a solid state amp of the same wattage would be, The general ratio is 2.5:1 so a 40watt tube amp would be around 100watts solid state ( 40 x 2.5 = 100 )

Though there are things to take into consideration such as speaker size, type of tubes etc but you shouldn't have a problem gigging with it. There are a lot of people on the site that have or had that amp and will be able to confirm it for you.
Peavey amps rule, it depends what amp, the XXX has alot of Gain. pop some celestion speakers in there and it would Kill.........................................if there isnt enough gain just pop a boss peddle or digitech metal master and ya! lamb of god for ya
Quote by joining_heads
You put a crap pedal in front of a mean amp????

It's not even a mean amp... It's a Crate Powerblock
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
get the peavey 6505 combo, it hast 2 speakers and 60 watts, that should be more than enough for gigging and you would have more gain than you'll ever need
i own a peavey xxx 40w combo and its awsome, scoop the mids and crank it theres nothign better

ps, its ****ing loud
Quote by aznrockerdude
It's not even a mean amp... It's a Crate Powerblock

he was talking about the xxx
Thank you for all your opinions. the idea about the 6505 but i heard those were dis****inued. If that were the case i would of just bought the Peavy XXX 212. Also...as for the idea about the pedal i did not really want to use a pedal. I just want to use a tube screamer and the amp. But hey if i can get something around testament, lamb of god type of sound(since thats the type of stuff i play) then im all for it.

Again thank you for your opinions. If ya got more..send em my way.
The 6505 is the exact same as the 5150 which was discontinued last year. The 6505 is still in production.
40 Watts is more than enough dude. You see, the scale between Watts and Decibels is logarithmic so that means that if you want an amp that's twice as loud you need 10 times the wattage.

That would mean that you'd need 400 watts if you want to sound twice as loud. The difference between say, 100 and 40 watts is very small. You'd barely notice it from 10 meters away. And also could someone explain to me why tube amps are louder than their transistor brothers at the same wattage? Because it doesn't really seem to be according to the physics I was taught at school. Thanks in advance!

@topic again;

40 watts is loud enough and the Peavey XXX is a nice amp IMO, however, saving up a little more for a Peavey JSX combo would be nice as well. That combo will do everything from sparkling cleans and blues tones to hefty metal tones. It's like the bigger brother of the XXX but the XXX is also a very nice amp.
Quote by Aetius
That would mean that you'd need 400 watts if you want to sound twice as loud. The difference between say, 100 and 40 watts is very small. You'd barely notice it from 10 meters away. And also could someone explain to me why tube amps are louder than their transistor brothers at the same wattage? Because it doesn't really seem to be according to the physics I was taught at school. Thanks in advance

I don't know the physics behind it, but I think a lot of it has to do with the harmonics that are produced, and how they stand out to the human ear. Wilkpedia has some interesting takes on it. More than just "seeming" louder, I think it's how it stands out in a mix with other instruments. I can't explain it, but if you've ever played with some loud bandmates, the tube amps, even at the same/lower power, seem to cut through the mix more easily. For instance, I was using a 100W ss amp with another guitarist using a 70W tube amp, along with a bassist and loud metal drummer. I had my SS amp cranked, and it wasn't cutting through the mix at all, no one could hear it. I could barely hear myself, even directly in front of my amp. The other guitarist's tube amp was completely overpowering my amp, I mean like night and day. Completely pissed me off too BTW, lol.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Aug 23, 2006,
Quote by Erock503
I don't know the physics behind it, but I think a lot of it has to do with the harmonics that are produced, and how they stand out to the human ear. Wilkpedia has some interesting takes on it. More than just "seeming" louder, I think it's how it stands out in a mix with other instruments. I can't explain it, but if you've ever played with some loud bandmates, the tube amps, even at the same/lower power, seem to cut through the mix more easily. For instance, I was using a 100W ss amp with another guitarist using a 70W tube amp, along with a bassist and loud metal drummer. I had my SS amp cranked, and it wasn't cutting through the mix at all, no one could hear it. I could barely hear myself, even directly in front of my amp. The other guitarist's tube amp was completely overpowering my amp, I mean like night and day. Completely pissed me off too BTW, lol.

Personally I think it's more to do with how the amps are rated... You rate an amps wattage at a certain level of THD (say 2%.) A transistor amp distorts very quickly (after the threshold) and so the difference between 2% and 4% is minimal. But in a tube amp you need to push the tubes hard to get distortion (even in a high gain amp you need to change the operating conditions which pushes the amp) this makes the difference in volume between two levels will be much much larger.

It needs to be said that the wattage ratings on amps aren't the "maximum" outputs which is why this holds true. If the ratings were maximum then this wouldn't hold true and in fact an SS amp would appear louder (until both SS and tube were completely cranked.)

The harmonics do come into it slightly but with a well designed amp you can mimic the increased even harmonic content and it'd still sound "quieter" than a tube amp..

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Cheers Powerfreak,

I finally found an answer to my question. I had been searching on the internet but I couldn't really find anything good.