Thinking about getting the Epiphone Les Paul Studio for £369 and then upgrading the pickups to Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II's. For a New Amp i figured i'd get the Vox AD30VT. Sound Good? Or would you suggest something else?

What i'd like to spend would be:
Guitar: up to £400 (would prolly stretch to £450)
AMP: Would pay just over £200
Pickups, same as amp`

EDIT: Spose i should prolly tell you the type of music i play too :P
I play Hard Rock, Metal, but also dip into some punk and indie.
Last edited by Lee1991 at Aug 20, 2006,
You can get a BC Rich Guitar and replace the pickups... Then you'll have a good guitar I think. I've got a Ibanez RG7321, this is a 7-string and is "made" for metal!!
The amp is a good choice!
Also have a look at the Line 6 Spider II or used Flextone, and Ibanez Valbee. ( Small tube amp )
If you got the Ibanez Valbee, you can place pedals in front of it for distortion or other effects.
why wouldnt you get a bigger amp if you have a nice amount of income?
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
GoodCharloteSux:

I only want a practice amp and dont want to spend that much.

Vampry:
Ive heard mixed reviews about BC Rich warlocks, even though one of my best friends has like 5, he loves them, but ive heard alot of bad stuff aswell so :S
well, what I'm going to do is add those together and tell you what I'd get with that budget.

£450 + £200 + £200 = £850.

I'd be willing to spend £500 of that on the amp, if I were you. I'd take a look at a marshall dsl401 combo, a laney gh50L head and some kind of 2x12 cab, a laney vc30 and lc30 combo (maybe not enough gain), ashdown fallen angel combo, randall rg50tc, fender hot rod deluxe, traynor ycv40, peavey classic 30/50, and peavey valveking. Basically, try all those and see which you like best.

If you only need a practice amp, you then have to decide- do you want lots of decent tones (a modelling amp of some kind), or 2 or 3 excellent tones (a lower wattage valve amp- many of those listed have a lower wattage equivalent, which will allow you to crank them at a lower volume to get power tube overdrive at a decent level. EDIT: i'll add in the matamp minimat into that too, then. I haven't tried it, but it's meant to be nice.

For the guitar, the yamaha aes620 is nice, you can get it for under £300 if you shop around. It also has a duncan JB stock in the bridge. Lag guitars are also nice in that price range, as are the ibanez sz series, PRS SE series, and the washburn pro series.

For the pickups, I have to recommend swinesheads. Condors, to be precise, if you're after the duncan alnico II sound. I haven't tried the alnico II's, but swinesheads are far and away better than any Duncan i have tried. And they're a lot less (£45 each). www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk though if you play hard rock and metal, I don't know if alnico II is a good idea. I'd probably look at a warthog bridge, and condor or runaway neck.

Gordon Smith guitars are also really, really nice. the only one that's liable to come into your price range is the GS1, with a single (though tapped) humbucker at the bridge. It'd be a 3-4 month wait, bu they're handcrafted in the UK- a major step up from the mass produced korean brands that you'd otherwise be stuck to in that price range. You could probably get them to fit a swineshead for you too, to save on the stock pickup.

It mightn't be versatile enough for you, though. But it's an excellent guitar, as opposed to most other guitars at that price which are "decent". They don't look too flash, but they sound and play really, really well. www.fairplay.demon.co.uk

I suppose the final thing is, could you give us a list of the bands that you do play?

EDIT: and seriously, the amp is more of your tone than a guitar. you'll sound better with a £500 amp and £200 guitar, than vice versa.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You could probably get a schecter blackjack with seymour duncans already fitted for that price. So then you'd have more money to spend on the amp. Also i'd imagine that the duncans you mention will not have enough output for a decent metal sound.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
DaveMC: first of all, thanks for all the info ill look into all those guitars,pickups and amps.
Second of all Bands i play:
Metallica, G n R, Skid Row, Velvet Revolver, Iron Maiden, Trivium, Bullet For My Valentine, a lil Green day, lil lost prophets, Slipknot, Taking Back Sunday, Foo Fighters, A7X , Black Label Society.

If you want me to go on i will, (Btw, some of the bands listed are what i want to play when i get good enough)

Also, i can't get anything online, im 15 and parents dont like putting cc details online.
www.soundcontrol.co.uk has a local store so thats where i generally go
Last edited by Lee1991 at Aug 20, 2006,
dude go to guitar center before august ends.... they have an amazing deal.... a 75watt spider II line 6 for 159.99 and i have the 15 watt it sounds amazing and with the 75 watt you get loads more tone and crunch and settings and like 2 more effects
A Les Paul is good for that kind of music...
Marshall are also good amps, if you don't get an budget amp from them...
Marshall DSL401 is recommendable, like Dave_Mc said.

Looking at the BC Rich, try them yourself!
Everybody has his/her own opinion...

The best way to find the gear you want is to try at the music shop!!!
problem with sound control is it's dear as hell, unfortunately...

as for the pickups, I guess you could get swineys if you sent them a cheque, you wouldn't neccessarily have to order online- or I'm sure you could order over the phone. though if your parents are adamant, your best bet is to get something that already has duncans installed- buying duncans for retrofit is really dear over here, they just plain aren't worth it, IMO.

I'm guessing a marshall dsl401 is the best amp for those tones. Most of those guys use marshall (of a modernish variety), and the others aren't too far away from a marshally tone. If you shop around (i.e. not soundcontrol) you can get one for a little over £400.

for the pickups, if you can get swineys, I'd say warthog bridge, condor or runaway neck. if you can't, you're kind of stuck to whatever you can get stock on a guitar (unless you want to blow £150 on a set of duncans...). Odds are it'll either be a custom custom or a jb in the bridge, and a '59 or a jazz in the neck.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by f0rs@k3n21
dude go to guitar center before august ends.... they have an amazing deal.... a 75watt spider II line 6 for 159.99 and i have the 15 watt it sounds amazing and with the 75 watt you get loads more tone and crunch and settings and like 2 more effects

he's in the UK. getting to a guitar centre would be liable to blow his entire budget. and shipping and customs would also blow his budget.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A town near Walsall has two guitar shops, and they both stock all kinds of pickups so im ok with those.

And i know sound control is overpriced as hell, but my guitar teacher gets knocked down prices (He knocked £200 off one of his les pauls and got them to throw in a £70 strap n 10 packs of strings) and he said he'd come with me.

I went offline after my post last night so i didnt have a chance to check stuff out, but im onto that now, but im not sure i really want to spend that much on an amp tbh.
It'll only be a practice amp, wont start gigging till ive finished last year of school. Then ill look into a better amp.
Last edited by Lee1991 at Aug 21, 2006,
^ i doubt very much that they'll stock swineys though...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?