Alright well i have been practicing what i think is alternate picking or maybe it is economy i don't know. Could somebody please explain them to me. And don't write a link to that lesson either. I just don't understand the concept. Thank you.
Strict alternate picking is using an up & down motion consistently and never deviating from the pattern.

Economy picking is taking the shortest route to the next string to economise movement. It employs alternate picking, but deviates from the up and down pattern when the situation and preference calls for it.
Okay, alternate picking is just picking normal - up and down, hence the alternate [alternating between upstrokes and down strokes]

And from what I've heard, economy picking is using a pick in alteration, your pinky, ring and middle finger doing finger-picking, so the whole hand works.
*shrugs* I don't know...
Alternate picking: you pick down, and on the next note you play you pick up, and then down again, and then up again, and so on....... so your pick goes: down, up, down, up, down, up....

Economy picking basicly means that you alternate pick unless in a certain situatie its easier to use a series of downstrokes or upstrokes. Let's say you hit the low E string twice and the A string 10 times. You could first go 'down, up' on the low E but then your pick if above the E string and far away from the A. If you economy pick you'll just go 'down, down' on the E and when you get to the A you just go: 'down, up, down, up... and so on' (at least, that's my interpertation of economy picking and it's what works best for me!)

E: Lol Johnljones7443 uses much fewer sentences then me but his explanation is a lot clearer
ok, they are fairly similar.

Alternate picking - Basically, picking up and down, and up, and down, and up, and down.... when i started, i did this anyway, but some people when they start, only use downstrokes so alternate picking is just an easier way and more economical way of picking.

Notice i said economical, because economy picking is pretty much the same, but it includes moving between strings.

Economy picking - best shown as a quick diagram.

^ means upstroke
v means dowenstroke

i can play this tab 2 ways:

|------------2-3-4-5--|
|-2-3-4-5-------------|
v ^ v ^ v ^ v ^
|
|
At this point i have taken an up stroke, to get to the next string, i need to go down past the first string without hitting it, and then hit the second string.

|------------2-3-4-5--|
|-2-3-4-5-------------|
^ v ^ v v ^ v ^

With this pattern, i start on an upstroke instead, so when it comes to the string skip, i just follow through the down stroke to the next string.

So beasically, its using less effort to change between strings, and also there is less chance of you accidentally hitting a wrong note on the transitions. This is useful in shred and sweep picking uses the same prinicipals of following through notes.
"suicide hotline, please hold......."
Economy picking is that when you gonna cross string and if is a lower string (E to A) then you always pick that string with a downstroke, if is a upper string (A to E) then is a upstroke.
Quote by Jaykib
And from what I've heard, economy picking is using a pick in alteration, your pinky, ring and middle finger doing finger-picking, so the whole hand works.

That's hybrid picking. It's often called chicken pickin', too.
Quote by El Cumanés
Economy picking is that when you gonna cross string and if is a lower string (E to A) then you always pick that string with a downstroke, if is a upper string (A to E) then is a upstroke.

Not necessarily.

It's just taking the shortest possible route between each note, be it up or down stroke.

Try this for practice:

---------------------------------10-12-13
------------------------10-12-13----
-----------------7-9-10--------------
-----------7-9-10--------------------
-----5-7-8---------------------------
5-7-8--------------------------------

Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
three-note-per-string major scales are probably best for practicing economy picking because each string ends with a downstroke, leading nicely to the next string...overly simplified, you can say that economy picking is a mix between alternate and sweep picking in that you take the quickest route to the next string
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
just to add to what's been said; I found that after doing sweeps for a while, economy picking comes MUCH easier, so if you're looking into it then there's a little tip :P