Ive been trying to understand what exactly intervals are, and how they work. I feel myself looking back at the same info and going wtf. If anyone can help me out, I'd really appreciate. I really did try to make sense of this before I made this thread.
okay..hmm, it basicly ALL starts with a major scale, so theres where well start. you know a major scale right? thats the thing that goes do re mi fa so la ti do. hopefully you know that, if not you should figure it out. for this well us a gmajor scale (The first octave) which would be
low e -3 low e-5 a-2 a-3 a-5 d-2 d-4 d-5

okay. so lets say you wanted to do a gmajor 3rd as the interval. youll play the root note of gmajor (which is low e-3) and then the 3rd note in the scale, so you go to the third note in the scale which is a-2, so play low e-3 and a-2, vwala, you have a gmajor 3rd interval. or say you wanted to do a fifth, you would play low e-3, and the 5th note in the scale which is a-5, there u go, a gmajor 5th interval (powerchord)

thats the majors, now to apply that to others ud just use a minor scale or something all the same rules apply, just when your going say u wanted a gminor 3rd (learn your scales if u dont know this)
youd play low e -3 and the 3rd note in this minor scale whjich is a-1
hope u understand
This may help a bit, at least with identifying them
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Well the link "don't read this" posted explains it *thanks to slash pwns*

but in a nut shell : an interval is the distance(pitch wise) between two notes. The smallest (in western music) being a minor second (I think?) or otherwise known as a "half step". You can learn to hear these and identify them, its called relative pitch.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour